It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2005, 02:57 PM   #1
(female)

Catherine83 HB User
Can A Yeast Infection Heal Itself??

Hi - About a week ago I came off of some antibiotics for an upper respiratory infection and began having some signs of a yeast infection. I was itchy and had a burning feeling from all of the itching but was not having any kind of discolored discharge. However, it was enough to really bother me so I made an appointment with my doctor who is booked solid for 2 weeks. Well, I knew I had to do something..anything..to help easy the itching. I didn't even want to leave my house because I was so miserable. So, I went to Walgreen and talked to the Pharmacist who told me not to use a yeast infection cream unless I knew for sure it was that. He said that it could set up infection if it wasn't in fact a yeast infection. Instead, I got something called "vagi guard" which only gives relief from itching...IT IS GREAT STUFF BY THE WAY. So, about 4 days later it all stopped. I have no itching or irritaion whatsoever and I have not been using the cream for almost 3 days now. Is it possible for a yeast infection to heal itself?? I'm still going to my doctor to talk to her about it but is this possible with no meds?? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2005, 06:46 PM   #2
(female)

silver515 HB User
Re: Can A Yeast Infection Heal Itself??

I have a suggestion for when you are taking antibiotics.....always eat yogurt and take acidofolus(spelling?)...I have done that a number of times and haven't had a yeast infection in years. In the past I always had problems with antibiotics and yeast infections.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2005, 09:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Yes, a yeast infection can difinitely go away by itself, especially when it's been caused by something like antibiotics. As soon as you stop the antibiotics, you body starts to balance itself back out, and your vaginal pH will (should) return to normal, thus ending the the episode. I've had it happen once, and I did manage to get to the doc very quickly who said "well, it's gone now, I can see nothing". And that was that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thisby For This Useful Post:
happifeet23 (01-23-2011)
Old 12-18-2005, 01:32 PM   #4
(female)

Catherine83 HB User

Thanks so much for all of the info from both of you! I am going out to buy some yogurt today! Its top on my shopping list. Also, what exactly is acidofolus that you had spoken of? If this something that you can purchase over the counter or by perscription only? I'm interested in trying that also if you say that it helps. I get really bad upper respiratory infections at least 2 times in the winter and all the medication really works on my body. I want to be prepared the next time this happens. Thanks again to both of you :-) Happy Holidays ~ Catherine

Old 12-18-2005, 06:29 PM   #5
(female)

carltongal HB User

Hi

acidophilus is a natural bacteria found in yougurt but there isnt very much of it in there. but you can buy it at some grocery stores or health food stores, it comes as either pills or liquid (i'd go for the pills, liquid tastes kinda gross!) and I think taking 1 does of acidophilus is equal to eating 250 containers of youghrt or something crazy like that, and I really find it helps especially with yeast infections
Carletongal

Old 12-18-2005, 07:46 PM   #6
(female)

Catherine83 HB User

Thanks for the fast reply! I will be purchasing some acidophilus and give it a try. ~ Catherine

Last edited by Catherine83; 12-18-2005 at 07:47 PM.

Closed Thread