It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2006, 09:18 AM   #1
(female)

aaronon HB User
Endometrial Hyperplasia

I was wondering if anyone has had this and if they were told it could turn into cancer? I just got this news yesterday, have done several hours worth of surfing the net, etc. It does say that left untreated it can turn into cancer, I'm just wondering how long is that supposed to be? I go in tomorrow to see a recommend gyno, and to find out what can be done about it. If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it.

thanks,

aaronon

Old 01-12-2006, 04:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: Endometrial Hyperplasia

They might do a biopsy of your endometrium. It hurts for a second because of the cramping of the cervix, but it's bearable. It's unlikely there is cancer. They'll probably give you meds (like Provera) to help shed the excess tissue, or they might suggest a D and C. I'm sure you'll be fine...don't worry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2006, 10:56 PM   #3
(female)

rosestarlov HB User

Hi, I was diagnosed with simple hyperplasia. what type do you have? they told me very low chance of cancer and will have repeat biopsy to follow up. I have been bleeding non stop for 8 weeks. It is driving my crazy! Has anyone had that?

Old 07-18-2006, 03:56 PM   #4
(female)

penchant1 HB User

Hi. I had a polyp with what the doc said were atypical cells at its base removed in May. Nonstop bleeding for two months and severe anemia got me to go in, then they did sonogram, hysteroscopy with D&C to remove a polyp they found. The lab found precancerous cells with the polyp, so now they want me to have a total hysterectomy.
My doctor said some women choose to not have hysterectomy, but his experience is that there will likely be more polyps, and the condition should be constantly monitored. Articles I read mentioned how difficult it is to find early cancer cells further up along fallopian tubes, etc. if a future polyp grows there.
Yes, definitely: these polyps with the atypical pre-cancerous cells are likely to develop into full-blown cancer if left untreated. I doubt anyone could tell you how long it takes. I found one study willing to venture a guess: 25% progress to cancer.
Would appreciate feedback about whether my doctor is advising too drastic a measure at this point. Hate to lose my ovaries and their estrogen when likelihood of another polyp is only 25%.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

I would get a second opinion. Cancer is certainly not something to mess around with. If you were lucky enough to catch this polyp early and you aren't ready to have a hysterectomy, you might be able to wait awhile. I think this decision also depends on your age and if you've had children yet.

No one can tell you what to do, but if it were me, I'd have the hysterectomy (I've already had one for other reasons), but I already have kids and I'm close to the age of average menopause anyway. The surgery is really tough to recover from, so you really have to know you're doing the right thing.

I'm also a cancer survivor, very lucky, but I know many people who've not been so lucky. Another doctor's opinion would be very helpful to you I think.

Closed Thread