It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2006, 12:04 PM   #16
(female)

seejay HB User
Re: What are the symptoms of Bacterial Vaginosis?

YES the clumpy white stuff is from the metrogel & it is gross! But it goes away within like 2 days of non-use. Hang in there!!!

I am 35 years ald and have been getting recurring infections for years. I just read today (while searching on this topic) - that taking acidophillus supplements daily - might help. Going to CVS after work and buying some.

Good luck!

Old 03-07-2006, 11:36 PM   #17
(female)

RiAnne HB User

i used yogurt down there right after i started getting that clumpy white stuff down there. now, it's gone. i am actually 'normal' down there again. been 'normal' for about a week now. if it comes back, i'm going to try the acidophillus supplements. bv is crazy. it just seems like i have some type of incurable disease. hopefully it doesn't come back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2006, 11:14 PM   #18
(female)

RiAnne HB User

well, it is back. so now i'm going to go to the store tomorrow and start taking the acidophillus supplements.

Old 03-16-2006, 01:33 PM   #19
(female)

Andra31 HB User

Have any of you ever used avalox for this?? My doctor wants me to try that now. The culture said it was suceptible to that.
Thanks

Old 03-17-2006, 03:02 PM   #20
(female)

Andra31 HB User

Have any of you ever tried Avelox (moxifloacin) for this.. I spelt it wrong in my other post.
Thanks

Old 03-24-2006, 01:30 PM   #21
(female)

jac1968 HB User

Andra31,

I don't mean to question you but are you sure you got the med correct and that it's to treat a vaginal infection? I am asking because I have suffered from chronic recurring Bacterial Vaginosis for over 2 yrs now. I have been to countless doctors and searched high and low on the internet for answers. I belong to online support groups, scour women's health forums, etc. In all my research and experience I have never come across this Avelox as a possible remedy. I just looked the product up online and in the USA, it is marketed only as an anitbiotic for Respiratory Infections. Are you in the US?

Please be sure you did not get an incorrect prescription filled. It does happen more than people think. While you probably won't experience any problems by taking it, you never know and it's just never healthy to take an antibiotic you don't need.

Old 03-24-2006, 01:44 PM   #22
(female)

jac1968 HB User
acidiophilus supplements

Hi ladies.

I just wanted to pipe in here on a couple of things. RiAnne..... chin up. I have been where you are. Actually still am just not as bummed out about it anymore. I have resigned myself to the fact that it's something i have to learn to live with. I know that it stinks to think that. I am not giving up on finding a cure but I am not going to let this thing beat me down either.
There is a yahoo group that I think you should check out. There are over 350 members on there and it's a support group specific to recurring BV. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!

As far as sitting down and talking to your boyfriend. You really should. Not for his sake but for yours. You need some relief from your overactive brain. It isn't anything you asked for and you can't control your body. Talking to your boyfriend upfront and honest is going to take some of the weight off of your shoulders. If you would like some advice on how to discuss it with him, I have some ideas as well as some online info I can point you to.
Reading your posts I just felt your pain and I felt compelled to reach out. I do hope you read this.

I just registered here today so I don't know if posting the yahoo group link is allowed. If you want it and moderators approve of posting it here, please let me know.

About metrogel. It can cause some really nasty discharge. Scary nasty. There have been many women racing to the ER trying to figure out what is happening to them only to find out it is just the Metrogel.... I have had some instances where it literally looked like my insides were falling out. it is some very nasty stuff and quite honestly, I quit taking taking before my script was over.

about acidiphilous supplements. you can go waste your money on pills but it won't do you any good. You need LIVE active cultures to do any good and it's still not proven to show it will help. If you want to try it, go to a health food store and purchase the refrigerated kind. The pills forms are all dead by the time you ingest them. Yogurt inserts are also in my opinion only a myth. I don't know anyone in the support group who's had any success with either.

Hope that I have helped you some.
Julie

Last edited by jac1968; 03-24-2006 at 08:31 PM.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:20 PM   #23
(female)

Andra31 HB User

jac1968
Thank you so much for all your input. Yes they gave me Avelox to take for 7 days...I just finished them last night. They did a culture and I guess that was an antibiotic it was not resistant to. I thought I had a yeast infection and kept treating that....then after that did not work I went to a doctor and he gave me the clindamax.....I thought I was better but they did another culture and it came back as heavy growth so they gave me the antibiotic to treat it....I just went to the gyno 2 days ago and she said I looked good....A little bit of yeast showed but if I was not symptamatic then to not take anything for it...She also did another culture which I won't know anything untill next week....She did say my PH balance was off....So what does that mean???

Old 03-24-2006, 08:45 PM   #24
(female)

jac1968 HB User

The ph balance being off is a strong indicator of BV.

There are three immediate indicators of BV (immediate meaning the dr will suspect BV from these factors during your exam).
1)the ph strip - tests the acidic level of your vagina.
2)the "whiff test" meaning they can smell the telltale bv smell.
3)the discharge which is not always present.

Usually the ph test is done as part of the exam if only if you've got some other indication to suspect BV. A ph strip will turn a different color, depending on the acidity level of your vagina. They can see immediately if your ph range is suspect. You still need a confirmation from the lab though for other tests.

Strange about the Avelox. What do you mean though about not being resistant to it? Have you tried to take other antibiotics for bv that did not work? Was this prescribed by an actual gynocologist? The way health ins works these days, they are always looking for cheaper alternatives. I often think I am going to see a gyn when in reality I am seeing a PA - physician's assistant! You need to know why your prescribed this. I have seen to many things, been told to many things by trained professionals that did not turn out to be 100% true. Always look out for number one and question anything and everything. It's your body, your health and people make mistakes... even well trained professionals.

My experience with BV (as well as many others in my yahoo support group) as that we are being tossed aside by our doctors or told bad advice just to get us out the door because they don't really know how to treat us. I guess I am just over skeptical about everything now. lol. better to be a skeptic and safe than gullibal and sorry. right?

Old 03-24-2006, 08:58 PM   #25
(female)

Andra31 HB User

Thank you so much for all your help...My doctor said that this type of bacteria was resistant to alot of antibiotics...and that I may have had it for a while...He called it a skin flora type infection.....Right now I feel fine...we will see.....Not completely 100% I did go to a gyno and when she examined me she said I did not have a odor and this whole time I have never had a odor....I know alot of people say they do...I have had problems since October...It started out me being nauseous then my throat started burning really bad...they gave me nexium which helped with the nausea and they told me to do mylanta and other things for the burning throat...nothing helped... after a barium swallow and a endoscopy....then finally they did a throat culture which showed I had a bacteria infection in my throat...7 days of cipro and my throat felt better...so I was still taking the nexium and I ocasionally would get nauseous...and was dealing with that and now this bacteria infection there pops up....I was also given 10 more days of cipro for a sinus infection and just finished my Avelox....I am hoping this goes away...I don't want to take another antibiotic!! Does this always come back after treatment?? Is it possible it would go away on its own??
Thanks

Old 03-25-2006, 12:31 AM   #26
(female)

RiAnne HB User

i haven't had it since the 14th of March. i have my period now. i wonder if it'll come back after my period. i'm just not dealing too well that i'll have to walk around with a horrible disgusting smellling vagina for the rest of my life. if it doesn't improve i'm not going to put my boyfriend through that. if i was a guy i wouldn't be with a girl with an awful odor. i'll just have to see if it comes back.

Old 03-25-2006, 08:01 AM   #27
(female)

jac1968 HB User

Andra,

I'm still confused. Are you saying that you have a bacterial infection in your throat? Maybe that is what the Avelox is for since it's to treat respitory infections? That still seems odd because I would think you'd have some symptoms of a lung infection. Not all antibiotics are designed to attack every kind of bacteria and I am no doctor but I just have never heard of that as a treatment for BV... I dunno.

It can be successfully treated and I think if you have a very normal super duper immune system you will most likely not have a recurrance unless you do things like douche regularly or something likely to throw your bacterial balance off again. With a somewhat compromised immune system, it's harder for our bodies to fight off infections. Don't freak out over a compromised immune system though, some people easily jump to conclusions and think HIV. THAT IS NOT WHAT I AM IMPLYING (just want to be clear). But you say you have others health issues and thus, your immune system is busy dealing with other issues besides BV.

Antibiotics for BV usually do work, it's after you take them where the problem comes into play. Normally our bodies re-adjust back to a normal balance of good and bad bacteria. Then there is the rest of us who's bodies for some reason are not doing that correctly. The good bacteria isn't recolonizing fast enough to keep the bad at bay. The bad take over yet again and we are back where we started.

I don't know how long you've had it but it seems possible to me that you have other health issues that you need fixed in order to then focus on the BV? Frustrating I know. Don't give up.

Old 03-25-2006, 08:17 AM   #28
(female)

jac1968 HB User

RiAnne,

Periods are also a very common trigger, hate to say it. That was always what got me back in the bv game if I'd responded to the meds.

Don't give up on your b/f. I am married and I really know where you are coming from because our sex life has changed. No such thing anymore as spontanious sex. sucks. And believe me, I have felt like you do which is worse when you are married. I have thought the same thing... getting a divorce and letting him out of this. But that's our thinking. you have to let him make that decision and of course be prepared for the worse but he could surprise you and say he loves you and wants to help you through it. You have to give him (and you) then chance to say that.

About the smell, it is a problem for me also but I have found a few tricks to keep it manageable and allow me to have sex without being so anxious that I can't enjoy myself. I won't lie and say I don't think about it all but one thing
that helps is all my cards are layed out on the table with my husband. There aren't any surprises for him if I have a problem during sex. not nice but not a surprise. It helps for YOU to enjoy sex again. It NEVER leaves your mind but if you are trying to hide it from him completely then you will never be able to relax enough to enjoy your time with him and he will be wondering what the hell is going with you.

Do you know what a sitz bath is? It is kind of like just sitting in a shallow small tub, just your butt, not your entire body. Apple cider vinegar sitz baths do help. You have to buy it at a health food store, not regular food chain b/c you need the kind with the "mother" in it. Kind you see at regular supermarket (i.e heinz) are filtered and won't do anything.

I have to run. I will post more later.

Old 03-25-2006, 01:26 PM   #29
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

My symptoms were fishy smell (very strong after intercourse) and a grayish discharge. I took the metrogel stuff and it went away and never came back (knock on wood!) This was 2 1/2 years ago.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:56 AM   #30
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I posted this on another thread and thought i'd contribute on this one too:

Ok, here's my personal take on BV. With my first long term partner i never ever experienced BV. My first case of BV was with my second long term partner and he is the only partner i have ever experienced this with in fact. I am not on the pill, so it can't be pill related in my case. In my research i came across something regarding men who have had vasectomies and stating that their acid/alkiline % after orgasm can be higher than normal (i'm never sure which is bad to be for a man, acid or alkiline). Now i know not all the ladies suffering from BV have men with vasectomies, but this was something i'd read so i dont know if it helps anybody and i think if females get too acid or too alkiline down there it can cause yeast or BV.

I've had the one dosage medication and it's done nothing for me. Only the 7 day treatments have worked for me. Luckily each time i've had BV it's only been a bit smelly and a watery type of discharge. I went to a clinic where they did a vaginal swab and i waited a few minutes and they came back with the results very quick.

One time when i went to get tested it was leading up to my period and the nurse said that there was no use in doing a swab as she would surely find BV as she said a lot of women naturally get BV prior to a period and it settles once you have had your period.

Another doctor also told me that a lot of women have mild forms of BV but don't know it and it simply comes and goes and nobody in the medical field is really certain why this happens.

I don't use any soaps down there, just warm water. I take one probiotic daily. I try to keep a healthy diet going. I make certain my partner has washed his hands if possible before any sexual activities as i used to wonder if germs on hands that you naturally pick up in your daily life can lead to BV. Also could any particular germ in the mouth lead to BV as a result of oral? I mean it's got to start somewhere and women who aren't having a sexual relationship often mention that they never seem to get yeast or BV. So there must be a connection of some type.

Closed Thread