It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2006, 03:37 PM   #1
(female)

MmeMulot HB User
Solid mass/cyst in ovary -- scared

I posted this in the ovarian cancer board, too, but I thought someone here might be able to weigh in, too. I'm very scared!

I had a pelvic ultrasound today because I've been having pelvic pain on the left side and some spotting. They found a corpus lutem cyst in the left ovary and a solid mass in the right ovary. The mass is 1.5 cm, so I guess it's not very big? Also, I'm 36 years old.

It was unexpected to find something in the right ovary, because all my pain has been on the left. They had me do the CA-125 blood test, but they said I won't get the results for a week. After that, we'll decide if immediate surgery is needed.

I am TERRIFIED of it being ovarian cancer. I know three people connected to work who have had ovarian cancer (one died in her 40s, one has a really bad prognosis, one seems to have beaten it), and so I know how deadly it is. The doctor said statistically my risk is low, but that's no guarantee. I know there's no way to know without the surgery, but I'm dreading the waiting and worrying.

I also have anxiety disorder and health anxiety, so I know I'll be a basket case for the next few weeks. I guess I'm just looking for some support and good thoughts, as well as information.

I've been really fatigued for the past few months, and have been having night sweats, which doctors have put down to my constant anxiety, but now I think they must be signs of cancer. I always think the worst, which I know is bad for me, even if it IS the worst.

Last edited by MmeMulot; 03-02-2006 at 03:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2006, 04:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: Solid mass/cyst in ovary -- scared

MmeMulot:

I'm so sorry you are very worried. I understand how you might jump to the conclusion of cancer, but please, please, be reassured that there are so many other things that are benign that could be the problem. I also suffer from anxiety problems and take Xanax as needed. Do you have anything like that you could take for times when your worry is overwhelming? Before I got my diagnosis of endometriosis, which took a whole year, I worried terribly from time to time and at those times I would take a Xanax. If you don't have something like that, maybe you can request something, at least until you get a final diagnosis. Please keep us posted...you'll be in my thoughts.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:15 PM   #3
(female)

MmeMulot HB User

Thank you so much for your reply, SRMom. I do have some Klonapin for anxiety, which I've taken a time or two before, and I'm sure I'll be taking it tonight! It's so very hard for me not to think the worst.

Old 03-02-2006, 11:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

I know if it were me I would worry myself to death because I too always think the worst. I read not too long ago on the boards where they found a mass on this young ladies ovary and it was a benign tumor. So yours could be benign also.

I also read in a magazine that a woman who had ovarian cancer (and survived) had the CA125 blood test results of 745. I believe normal is 0 to around 35. So if your blood results come back slightly higher (like below 100), don't stress too much because someone who actually had ovarian cancer had results of 745.

Keep taking your anxiety medication and do your best to push the negative thoughts away. I can't tell you how many times I have freaked out and things always turned out o.k.

Old 03-03-2006, 09:52 PM   #5
(female)

vongo HB User
Thumbs up Re: Solid mass/cyst in ovary -- scared

I want to remove my response.

Last edited by vongo; 03-20-2006 at 06:35 AM.

Old 03-04-2006, 07:28 AM   #6
(female)

Krista2882 HB UserKrista2882 HB User

Hi, MmeMulot,
I'm sorry you're so worried... I'll share my story and maybe it'll help ease your worries...
This past August, I woke up one day with severe pain on my lower left side of my abdomen. It was a Friday, and I thought I was just sick or something, but it kept getting worse as the weekend went on, so I went to the Emergency room on that Monday. They thought I had an ovarian cyst, but when they did the ultrasound, they couldn't see my ovary because something was in the way. So I also had a CT Scan. They found that I had what they thought was an ovarian cyst the size of the whole inside of my pelvic cavity. So I set up surgery right away for that Friday because I was in so much pain, and after the surgery, my doctor had told me that it was a tumor and not a cyst. The surgery went well (they were able to do it orthoscopic), and they tested the tumor right away and found that it was benign, but he said because it was so huge, if it had gone for much longer without getting found, it could have become cancerous.

So, just to try to ease your nerves, I had a tumor also, a lot bigger than yours, and it turned out to be benign. So, I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck!

Last edited by Krista2882; 03-04-2006 at 07:29 AM.

Old 03-04-2006, 08:34 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

willo1980 HB User

As some have replied to you and suggested, it could be an endometrial cyst. My hubbies aunt just had a whopper of a mass growing on her right ovary. I think it was like 8 inches. It was solid and of course she thought cancer as well because of her age, 43. They did a hysterectomy and found out it was a chocolate cyst from endometriosis. Not a tumor. So, like someone else posted, there are a lot of things it could be. Good luck.

Old 03-05-2006, 10:37 AM   #8
(female)

MmeMulot HB User

Thank you all so much for the replies! I think I'll probably come back and reread them whenever I need a little hope -- which might be every 15 minutes!

My doctor is being very conservative about doing surgery until we get the CA-125 results back. I'm pretty sure that's going to be high, because any inflammation can cause that to be high even if it's not cancer, and I have ulcerative colitis and possibly endometriosis.

My doctor said that they'd have to take the whole ovary out, and maybe even my other one too because of the corpus luteum cyst in that one, but from my reading it seems like they generally try to preserve some of the ovary unless they find out it's cancer. I'm hoping to have time to get a second opinion with an oncology gynocologist before I need to go in for surgery.

Old 03-07-2006, 11:00 AM   #9
(female)

MmeMulot HB User

Just an update. I have an appointment with an oncologist gynecologist on Monday to get another opinion.

This is really rough. I'm having lots of trouble sleeping, and I'm always nauseated and can hardly eat. Not good times!

Old 03-08-2006, 11:07 AM   #10
(female)

jamie.kae HB User

Hey there,
I am thinking about you and praying for the best possible results for you! I am going through a very similar thing right now as well. I will be having a Laparoscopy on Wednesday with a possible Laparotomy. Solid mass in left ovary, enlarged uterus, and cysts on right ovary! I know how scary it is and all the worried day dreams/nightmares that go through your mind. Best wishes and try to stay possitive! JamieKae

Old 03-08-2006, 11:41 AM   #11
(female)

MmeMulot HB User

Thank you, JamieKae! It's so sweet of you to take a moment from your own worries to think about mine! Sometimes I think worrying is a full-time job. I hope things go well for you, too! I hope you get good news when you wake up from the operation. Keep your own positive thoughts!

Did you have the CA-125 test? I'm still waiting on the results from mine. I should get them tomorrow or Friday.

Last edited by MmeMulot; 03-08-2006 at 11:41 AM.

Old 03-09-2006, 09:09 AM   #12
(female)

MmeMulot HB User

I wanted to post an update. My CA-125 test results were normal, so that's a huge relief! It was 17.9, and I guess below 35 is considered normal. It's not a complete "whew!" since the test does seem to be imprecise, but it certainly makes me feel better about things.

I still have an appt. with an oncologist gynecologist on Monday to get another opinion on how best to proceed.

Closed Thread