It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2006, 12:15 PM   #1
Veteran

bullun HB User
Red face AGH! Blow off by gyn & fed up

I am sure most of you have heard my posts and read my woes with my menstrual cycle being irregular. By this I suppose you could say I have "Break through" bleeding. For instance, my cycle for 2yrs now since going off of b/c went from 5 days bleeding, to a few days spotting before my flow, then two days of an actual flow and then two more days of spotting. Seven days roughly of actual spotting or bleeding.

The last three menstrual cycles have started the following path, I spot for literally 10 days, the bleeding increases through out this period, then my flow starts, that goes for 2-3 days, then I will have a few more days of bleeding. My AF seem sto remain consistent around 28 days. In addition I have new back pain, that is not your typical menstrual "back ache", it is more intense, situatated on one side specifically and even caused me to leave work early one day to go home out of misery. Yet this does not seem normal to me. I'm not on b/c now, and have not been since December 2003.

I went into a gyn, to have an annual exam and discuss this new irregularity with her. I got blown off basically. I have to get a authorization for other medical issues to be put on b/c again, and pretty much that's all this doc wanted to do. Throw me back on b/c and see her again 4 months, to see if that regulates things. She basically c ut me off when I was trying to express the back pain issue. I thought that might be a red flag indicator of something else.

I am SO frustrated. Because of neurological issues I had in December 2003 I had gone off birth control, just for precaution. My FH and I decided that this would be the safest thing for me to remain off of it. Even if my neurologist OKs me going back on b/c I really do not want to. The only other thing she suggested was going on Provera if I am not allowed on the b/c.

I just feel like nobody wants to look into any other possible causes of the my irregular cycles, and that they are just putting a band-aid over the issue to deal with it now. Any suggestions?

The dates of my last cycle were these, Jan 18th Spotting until Jan 29th AF for 3 days. Again Feb. 14th spotting until Feb. 24th AF started for 3-4 days. I just feel like I'm on my menstrual cycle for 3 weeks out of a month instead of 1.. I'd love any insight ANYONE might have. My GP has always blown off my issue with my cycles and now this gynecologist basically is too. I'm so fed up with doctors.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2006, 01:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: AGH! Blow off by gyn & fed up

I suggest writing down your concerns/questions in a concise manner and, when you're feeling calmer, call the doctor's office and tell them you have some important questions you forgot to ask and would the doctor please call you when she is available. I have a couple of doctors and I have done this with both. Doctors are always trying to keep a time schedule so their patients don't wait too long, and some times I feel cut off early too...so I just call. They always call me back eventually. Give your cell number if you have one so you don't miss the call (I hate that).

Old 03-08-2006, 03:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

I think that it is typical of doctors to put you on the pill when you have any kind of period or hormone problem. What might help is a gynecologist/endocrinologist if there is such a thing.

My daughter has irregular periods and the gyn checked her hormone levels which came back fine. At least she looked into that. My daughter has refused to go back and so still has the irregular periods.

All I can say is that if you are not happy with your doctor's performance ask your friends to tell you about their gyn experience. See if they have had irregularity problems and it their doctor took action. You need to find a good caring gyn. Do you have a major medical university/hospital near you? You usually have better doctors who are up on the latest information working there.

I hope you find a good, caring doctor soon.

Old 03-09-2006, 09:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

You could have a uterine polyp. Check that out.

Old 03-09-2006, 01:46 PM   #5
Veteran

bullun HB User

I only wish it was so simple. I apologize SRMom that I came off as "not calm". However, I've had quite a few frustrations seeing various doctors and apparently had too high of hopes when I met with this gyno. I"m accustomed to seeing the resident physicians and then their attending physician whenever I need to visit my general practictioner because I live in a town with a University Hospital, medical school, which quite honestly, I don't care how much detail they have in certain specialities, sucks whenit comes to actual bedside manner and patient care. I get tired of being seen twice and they seem extremely focused on teaching the resident physician rather than treating their patient.

Anyhow.. because of a brain abnormality they found ona n MRI, I was asked not to go on birth control. I was given the so-so ok when they discovered that this abnormality was something pretty old and not new. However, I am still not comfortable with that. Literally the doctor cut me off in mid-sentence as I was describing my symptoms. Simply because they don't wish to treat me until they get an OK from my Neurologist, so they can slap me on b/c. Which I'm not going to do. I tried to explain that also, but I wasn't heard. Anyhow. Thanks for the input folks.. I think I will let mother nature take her course. If it regulates on it's own great, if things worsen in any manner I'll go back. Otherwise.. I figure I'm inthe clear until I do want to start a family, there may be issues there. I suspect I'm not ovulating.. thus the bleeding for 17days..

Old 03-09-2006, 03:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Hi bullun: I hope you didn't think I was criticizing you. By "not calm" I really just meant I could feel your frustration and I've been there myself and talked to doctors in an emotional state when frustrated. I find they sort of shut down when that happens and they prefer to discuss things when the emotions are in check. I was probably just projecting my own issues on to you, my apologies. I had a similar problem with my doctor last week...I cried in her office and we didn't get accomplished what I had hoped...I'll have to go back because we ran out of time. I hope you can get your docs to listen and your cycle straightens out soon. Good luck when you decide to start your family

Old 03-10-2006, 05:43 AM   #7
Veteran

bullun HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMom
Hi bullun: I hope you didn't think I was criticizing you. By "not calm" I really just meant I could feel your frustration and I've been there myself and talked to doctors in an emotional state when frustrated. I find they sort of shut down when that happens and they prefer to discuss things when the emotions are in check. I was probably just projecting my own issues on to you, my apologies. I had a similar problem with my doctor last week...I cried in her office and we didn't get accomplished what I had hoped...I'll have to go back because we ran out of time. I hope you can get your docs to listen and your cycle straightens out soon. Good luck when you decide to start your family
Thank you. I apologize if I sounded snippy in my response. Not my intention. I was actually upbeat and happy to see this new gynecologist when I went in, so I wasn't frustrated. I was taken back when she cut me off mid-sentence. I tend to let the doctors take over and not speak up enough so I wasn't at tha tpoint sure what to do. My frustration came when people here replied and everyone else that I'd been dicussing this woe story with, kind of said "Oh yeah maybe b/c will work for you." I just feel frustrated with that response.. BUt its ok. I'm not as upset about it now. I honestly, if I were to get pregnant, I'd be happy, maybe its not the most convient time in my life, but we still want children some day. My only real concern is that I am taking Paxil currently and its being researched as causing birth defects. So that's just a downside. Anyhow... yes, its hard doctors dont' always hear us. So I'm sorry to hear you've experienced this..but glad to hear I'm not alone. Thanks for your supportive comments!

Closed Thread