It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2006, 08:01 AM   #1
(female)

Perfume77 HB User
Prolonged Period, Heavy, Clots, Cancer worry :(

New to posting on this site, but here goes:

I just turned 39 in January. My periods have never been "normal," and for the past few years, I'd go without a period for 5-6-7 weeks, then have one, then go without, etc. Just abnormal like that. Then, I noticed on and off last year, I'd spot a bit, didnt think much of it. Now, I have been bleeding for about 5 weeks, non-stop. At times super heavy (no cramping though) and have tons of clots, and I never had lots of clots really. This time, there are lots of them, and some are large, and the bleeding just doesnt stop. 5 weeks and counting. I've been reading on the net, and have read everything from uterine cancer, to fibroids, to too much estrogen causing stuff like this. I am overweight, and I also read that could cause this (fat has estrogens in it, etc) and the more estrogen you have, the longer the periods, etc. Anyway, does anyone have any experience with something like this, and it turns out it was uterine cancer? I dont have any pain anywhere, no cramping...just prolonged heavy bleeding with clots. Guess I am more scared than anything about cancer. I know I need to go see a doc, but I dont have insurance, so I just worry about things, and if it was cancer...omg, no clue what I'd do. What happens to people with no insurance anyway.

thanks inadvance for any stories, or sharing experiences, etc

Old 03-09-2006, 08:06 AM   #2
(female)

maybebabee HB User
Re: Prolonged Period, Heavy, Clots, Cancer worry :(

Have you been using birth control or recently stopped using it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2006, 08:10 AM   #3
(female)

Perfume77 HB User

No, havent been on birth control since I was in my 20s. I have two daughters. One age 18, one age 13.
Not sexually active, havent dated in 5 years.

Old 03-09-2006, 02:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User

Seeing as you have irregular periods, you might just have polycystic ovarian syndrome where your ovaries do not release an egg every month due to a hormone imbalance.

That being said, the nonstop bleeding could be caused by any number of things, including pcos, or even fibroids. Polyps can cause heavy bleeding also. I've had many removed...all benign which they most often are.

Even though you don't have insurance, surely there should be a woman's clinic near you that can help you out.

I wouldn't automatically think you have cancer, but just for your own peace of mind and your health, you should at least have an exam to find out why you're going through this.

Good luck and I hope you get some answers.

Last edited by sunnydaze1; 03-09-2006 at 03:01 PM.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

when this happened to my sister....she had a hysterectomy..they found pre-cancerous cells, (dysplasia), endometriosis, and a prolapsed uterus. there are many reasons why this may happen....but its absolutely not a good idea to postpone seeing a GYN. Please go asap. let us know.

Old 03-09-2006, 07:34 PM   #6
(female)

Perfume77 HB User

I have an appointment for Tuesday, of course I dont imagine I'll find much out then. I guess they have to send stuff to the lab, and it takes a while to get results. I feel kinda depressed and nervous, hard to work, etc. I'll try to think positive.
Thanks for the advice/sharing.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

This is just an idea, but you could be going through perimenopause. If you read up on the menopause message board you will see that perimenopause can start as young as 35. Your periods become irregular. You can have very long periods, heavy periods with clots, two periods in one month and missing periods. It seems that right before the end (menopause) many experience long, heavy periods. A lady at the hair salon had complete menopause as young as 43.

I would still go to the doctor just to be sure, but I hope this information makes you feel better.

Closed Thread