It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2006, 12:25 PM   #1
(female)

merney HB User
Is it possible to get pregnant after tubal ligation?

I had my tubes tied over 14 years ago-after my last of 3 children-since that time I havent been sexually active until recently-6 mos. ago-I have missed my last period and I am having symtoms of pregnancy-I took a home pregnancy test and it was negative-the last time he and I had sex was mid-January-I assumed if I had my tubes tied/cauterized-this wouldn't be possible.

Old 03-29-2006, 12:45 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

willo1980 HB User
Re: Is it possible to get pregnant after tubal ligation?

It is possible. Rare, but possible. Your tubes can always grow back together. My mom had endometriosis and the lesions caused her cauterized her left tube, which had been cauterized, to grow back to grow back together from lesions. She ovulated and got pregnant with my 19 yr old sister and didn't know it until the morning sickness hit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2006, 11:57 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

magic8-ball HB User

Possible, yes. Likely? No.

See your doctor if you don't get your period soon, though.

Old 04-07-2006, 04:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

I just read in last weeks paper that a woman with 6 kids had her tubes tied and now she is pregnant with twins. So it can happen.

Old 04-08-2006, 08:43 PM   #5
(female)

lauralu2000 HB User

Highly highly unlikely ....but yeah it can happen. I have a cousin who got pg 10 years after her tubul. She was 7 months pregant sitting in her dentist office waiting to be seen. The lady next to her was also pregant. They got to talking and found out they had both had tubuls done by the same dr. Crazy huh!

Same thing with vasectomy's. The tubes there can grow together as well. i also have a friend who got pg with her 2nd husband who had had his vestectomy 8 years earlier. They were just going through testing to see if he could get it reversed as they wanted to have children. Turns out about the same time they found out he still had a sperm count from the sperm count test the Drs office got from him before they would consider the refersal ...they found out they were PG!!

But this is deffinately not the norm.

Old 04-11-2006, 11:50 PM   #6
(female)

Dika HB User

Two women in my family had their tubes tied and got pregnant, so it's possible! But most likely you aren't. >.<

Old 04-12-2006, 05:42 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User

I know someone who had her tubes tied and became pregnant again almost immediately....because she was born with another set of tubes that wasn't ever discovered!

Old 04-12-2006, 08:17 AM   #8
(female)

aaronon HB User

Hi all,

I went in to get my tubes tied in 1992, had the surgery, five months later was pregnant. Come to find out, they didn't tie my tubes, the did a tubal occlusion instead, which is clamping the tubes. I'd make sure which surgery you had.

aaronon

Old 04-12-2006, 02:10 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

I agree with Aaronon - find out what kind of surgery was done. I have learned that there's more than one way to perform a tubal ligation, and they have varying failure rates, the clamps having the highest. It is possible to get pregnant after a tubal ligation, but the chance is quite low (still there, though). If you are having pregnancy symptoms, it would probably be in your best interests to speak to your doctor. While there's the tiny chance it might be pregnancy, it could also be something else.

I assume you took a home pregnancy test, but you may want to consider having a blood test done too; from what I know, they are the most accurate forms of pregnancy testing and won't give you false results.

Old 04-17-2006, 01:44 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

If they are just tied, then yes it can happen. It they are clipped and burned...so not likely to happen at all but, "with God, all things are possible"

Old 04-17-2006, 02:03 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

This is sort of the same thing...but when my husband had a vasectomy, his doctor told him that sometimes, even though the tubes are cut, they can find their way together again and repair themselves. He said it is rare, but it does happen. I bet it's the same for women.

Old 04-21-2006, 07:06 AM   #12
(female)

aaronon HB User

Hi all,

My grandmother was advised after her fourth child to have her tubes cut and tied. She did. 2 years later, she gave birth to her fifth child. Don't know what exactly they did, but all my aunts and my mother say she got her tubes CUT and TIED. I also know a man, who had a vasectomy 5 times. He's actually in some textbook somewhere. His doctor couldnt believe it, neither could his poor wife. But, everytime, he'd have it done and then 2 or 3 months later, he'd go in for a checkup and there would still be evidence that his vasectomy didn't work. I do not believe that it was doctor error, I'm not sure what it was.

aaronon

Old 04-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

I think it is the human body's amazing power to heal itself...those tubes are genetically supposed to be together, so even though they are cut, they will still try to repair themselves.

Old 04-23-2006, 02:37 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

I think it's God's will for all those pregnancies!

Closed Thread