It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2006, 05:43 AM   #1
(female)

momof6300 HB User
Stabbing - Breathtaking Pains in ovary area

Please help, because my gyno can't seem to understand this. About every 3 or 4 months, I go through episodes of having stabbing, breath taking, shooting pains in my ovary area, particularly on the right side. These pains worsen when I change position quickly, and they get progressively worse over time. They have been getting so bad that I have had to actually stop walking and lift up my leg to try to take away the pain. The pain will increase in intensity and duration. Then (and this has happened to me 4 times already), I will get an episode of heavy gushing bleeding, which always seems to occur one day after the last day of my period. Last time this happened to me, I crawled onto my linoleum floor so as to not ruin my rugs. The bleeding lasts about one minute, then stops completely, and the pains totally disappear, and stay away for a few months. This last happened in December. 2 weeks after my January period, I started spotting what looked like black tar for about a week.

I had a transvaginal ultrasound in November which showed a small fibroid and an enlarged uterus. My problem is that my original gyno retired. I went to a new one who I didn't like at all. His office lost my file 3 times!!!

When I had the black discharge, I had my primary doctor refer me to a new gyno. This one told me that the pain I was feeling was not gynocological, but may be colon related due the fact that my dad had colon cancer at 33. So, I had the colonoscopy which, thank God, was normal. My gyno is going to do a D&C and endometrial ablasion, but doesn't seem in too much of a hurry to schedule the procedure. I am so disgusted already that I'm ready to just go to the ER next time I start gushing and having an emergency D&C done. What is making matter worse, I don't think this new doctor fully understands what I'm going through, either.

Please, someone, give me some advice as to if this is "normal", and exactly how to explain this to my doctor without him looking at me like I'm a flake.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: Stabbing - Breathtaking Pains in ovary area

There are so many things that could cause this and a D&C and endometrial ablation might not even cure your pain if there is endometrial tissue growing in the wall of your uterus (adenomyosis) or outside your uterus (endometriosis). It also wouldn't do anything if you have ovarian cysts, or fibroids growing outside your uterus. These things might not necessarily show up on an ultrasound. A laparoscopy would be needed to get a really good idea of what is going on. You could have adhesions from endometriosis that might be attached to your bowel or your ovaries or other organs that could account for this terrible pain.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease...in other words, keep calling, keep complaining, insist that you need help sooner than later. It also sounds like you could benefit from changing doctors. I have a female OB/GYN who is wonderful and understood my problems soooo much better than my male GP...who pretty much blew me off for awhile. I understand what you are going through...I'm so sorry. Be strong.

Last edited by SRMom; 04-05-2006 at 11:12 AM.

Old 04-05-2006, 02:36 PM   #3
(female)

katie8731 HB User

I dont know if this is the same as what you get but I felt like I was reading about me!!!
I have had it for quite a while but since I came off the pill(they were changing it every five seconds)And my periods are natural again this has been getting worse with me
On sunday Itwas so bad my fiance wanted to take me to the hospital-It was like stabbing pains in both sides andif I sat down too hard or moved too quick or stood for too long it made it worse it was so painful it made me shout out-Also going for a wee made it worse-Although it is not that bad any more all in that area and all round there feels really bruised and sore.
this the same for you?x

Old 04-05-2006, 03:31 PM   #4
(female)

momof6300 HB User

The pain part, yes. If I get up from a chair, I actually double over. The pain only lasts for about 5 or 6 seconds, then it stops, but will happen again next time I stand up, or stand too long. It's extremely frustrating. As I said, I haven't had the bad pain since I had the heavy bleeding episode in December, but they are starting to come back again - they are faint, but they are coming back. My "normal" periods have been lasting 7 or 8 days, and coming every 21 days. I bleed through a pad an hour for about 3 hours, then I just get clotty. It looks like I murdered someone in the toilet. I'm 44 years old, so at first I was thinking the heavy periods was a start of peri. Going wee doesn't effect anything and, when the stabbing pain isn't there, I don't feel anything. But it does get worse when I stand for a long time. And it's very frustrating having to worry about getting up from a chair at work without having to lift up a leg to stop the pain, and worrying about when my next gushing is going to happen. I'm ready to have everything tore out already. My childbearing years are over for me, and I just don't want to be worrying about pain and bleeding anymore. Also, the "black" discharge I had in January really freaked me out. I dont' want to come off as a hypochondriac or something, but I'm fed up and my OB/GYN doesn't seem to think its gynochologically (sp?) related.

Thanks for letting me vent. I am going to print out everything I have been reading on this board to show him that it does happen to other people and I'm not nuts.

Old 04-05-2006, 03:53 PM   #5
(female)

katie8731 HB User

I also get this gushing and it looks like ive murderd some one in the loo!!!I get it a few times in my period which I have two week breaks inbetween each one-Ill put in a super plus tampon and bleed thru the second I have put it in and have to change it again!One ofmy doctors said 'oh thats inconvienient!'
I seem to have a period which lasts around 8 days-very heavy and painful with clotting and flooding-then I get this ovary stabbing thing which lasts the two weeks im not on(it gets gradually worse)then I have another period..etc its just on big circle.
Im only 20.Havent been diagnosed with anything yet-had stupid docs-Have a look at my other posts if you want and ull c what I mean!

Old 04-06-2006, 11:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tina76 HB User

When I was first diganosed with my endometriosis those were the types of symptoms I was having. ( Now I have pain on a daily basis. ) The first time I went to the hospital it was because I started gushing this dark clotty blood. It was awful. And the cramping and pain was unbearable. They did an ultra sounds...didn't see much. Did an MRI, didn't see anything. Sent me on my way with some pain pills. It took about three months of constant gyno appts and ER visits (and a couple of 2-3 day stays in the hospital!) before they did a laproscopic surgery and found tons of little endo cells growing all over my insides. They scraped them off a couple of different times but after the second scraping the pain stayed on and just got more progressive every single day.

You should go and see a new gyno and talk to them immediately about endo or other diseases/conditions that can cause the symptoms you are discussing. INSIST that they do the appropriate testing to determine if you have any of these diseases/conditions. It may involve a laproscopic surgery just to warn you. But they are easy to recover from and honestly, I'm sure you'd rather just know what is wrong once and for all no matter if it is surgery or not! I know that is how I felt! I was ready for them just to remove all my "female" parts! But they wouldn't do it and still won't...we can discuss it when I'm at least 35 my gyno says. Ugh.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:45 PM   #7
(female)

katie8731 HB User

Hi tina
I finally switched docs after I got the net about a month ago and act read up on endo as b4 I got the net I was just going to deal with it all myself
as all I was getting from the docs was a different contraceptive pill so I wasnt even gonna bother going back.
Then when I read bout the symptoms etc I chaged docs-mt 1st appt was on monday
I went in there and said bout my periods-she asked me some questions like how heavy/painful etc they are went through all that(with her saying that heavy painful periods are not uncommon even tho told her in my period I use super plus tampons and sometimes bleed thru them the second I have put them in!)I then went on to say bout the ovary pain-b4 I could even xplain how awful it was yest she said 'that's not uncommon many girls get mid cycle pain -ovulation pain.
my fiance then jumped in and said 'look she was crying in pain yest and its being getting worse over a week'
The doc then said she wanted to do this internal exam with this metal thing-It really hurt me , I nearly started crying-she then did a normal internal exam and said the ovaries wernt enlarged or anything.
She then felt either side where it hurts(felt very tender when she pushed left side) and said 'you said it feels hard but you've got good toned muscles round there' and 'You said you were in real pain yest but the ovaries arent enlarged and I cant feel any lumps or bumps'
At this point johns started to get a bit arsey with her so Iv told him to calm down.
When I told her it really hurts when weeing and the pain I sometimes get down my leg she didn't really say anything.
Eventually she said 'Have you ever heard of endometriosis?' I said id been looking at it on the net and she said
'That something that we would want to rule out but the thing is with that is it is a very painful condition and you wouldn't be having mid cycle pain it only hurts when you are actually on your period'
At this point Ive given up and johns not said anything cos he thinks im getting annoyed with him.
She said that she would repeat the ultrasound so she filled out a refferral form and that will take about 6-8 weeks to come thru
She said if that doesn't show anything then she will go thru a gyn and get a lap sorted but we are talking mnths I shud imagine.
She wrote me a perscription for mefenamic acid(which ive already got)and told to take them thru my next period.
Lukily the pain isnt as bad as yest cos that was that.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:28 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tina76 HB User

Well, what she told you is NOT true. 100% not true. Pain is normally worse during your period and many women ONLY experience pain during their periods, but mid-cycle pain (and sometimes bleeding) is actually VERY common with endometriosis. I have diagnosed endo (with surgery) and I have pain EVERY day that is caused by my endo. A lot of the literature you can find on endo talks specifically about chronic and constant pain. The problem is that endo cells cause scarring wherever they grow and that is often what is causing the mid-cycle pain. I have talked to many, many, women who have daily pain caused by endometriosis.

Also, your doctor would not be able to determine if you have endo by doing a physcial exam. It can ONLY be diagnosed with surgery. It is so small normally that it will not even show up MRI's or ultrasounds.

ARGH!!!! Doctor's like this make me SO angry. They should not attempt to treat endo if they are not properly educated and familiar with the disease. You can read ANYWHERE that endo can cause pain throughout the entire month. How does she not know that? What I would do personally if get a second opinion. Find a new gyno. You can even ask if the doctor is familiar with treating endometriosis.

If you don't want to to go so far as to get a new doctor...what I would do then is to print out multiple info on endo (or make copies from books) that talk about the mid-cycle pain, etc.... There is a very thourough book called The Endometriosis Source Book by Mary Lou Ballweg that covers pretty much everything about endo. The author is an expert in the field on endo.

The information that your doctor gave you is not correct. I know this because I am a living, breathing, walking example of it! I feel so bad for you goin thru this pain and then you finally get into the doc and she doens't even know waht she is talking about! Sure, hopefully you DON'T have endo...but with this doctor you will NEVER know if you do or not!

Good luck hun!
Tina

Old 04-06-2006, 01:54 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

I totally agree with everything tina76 said. I had daily pain too and finally convinced my GP it wasn't caused by emotions! He sent me to a wonderful woman OB/GYN who also happens to suffer with endometriosis. She took my pain seriously from the beginning and I finally opted to have a hysterectomy in January. I'm 46 and done having kids, so that's why I chose that route, but there are other options for women with endo. My doctor takes Lupron shots for hers. Other women have their endo scraped off periodically through laparoscope. Sometimes just birth control pills work...but just know that you are not alone and your doctor has given you incorrect information. Endo does hurt more during ovulation and menses, but it can hurt everyday when it is severe or touching other organs that can cause pain in those areas. That's why it's hard to diagnose sometimes, for example, if the endo is on your bladder, you might think you have a bladder infection or tumor, but tests all come back negative. Then they go inside with a laparoscope and find there's endo all over your bladder. That's just an example, but that could cause severe, daily pain. Do you know what I mean?

I'm so sorry you are going through this...I did too and it took over a year from the time my pain was daily until I finally got my hysterectomy. It takes a lot of patience and better pain medication. I took Vicodin almost every day just so I could function in my daily life instead of hanging out in bed with my heating pad all day.

Last edited by SRMom; 04-06-2006 at 01:57 PM.

Old 04-06-2006, 02:04 PM   #10
(female)

katie8731 HB User

Thanx-it aws very frustrating cos I obviously knew how much it was hurting on sunday but she didnt want to seem to know its frustrating that I have to wait so long to get anything done aswell-Ive started to think matbe its just me and im moaning,cos if it was likely to be something then surely I would get sorted by docs quiker?

Old 04-06-2006, 02:15 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

tina76 HB User

NO!!! Do NOT think that! Doctors are notorious for dragging their feet when diagnosing endometriosis! It's a terrible diagnosis because there is no "cure" so they don't like to deal with it at all. At least that was MY experience. You need to keep pushing or find a doctor that knows what they are talking about! It is NOT just you! I went thru the same thing!

Old 04-06-2006, 06:02 PM   #12
(female)

momof6300 HB User

Thank you to everyone for the information. Now I know I'm not going nuts, and will be VERY strong when dealing with my Doctor. I have some good information now to talk over with him. I am expecting a call back from him to go over the results of my colonoscopy (my normal colonoscopy!!!), and if he's not willing to investigate the endo, I will investigate a new Doctor.

Old 04-06-2006, 07:09 PM   #13
(female)

Quakes99 HB User

It's funny how common these problems are. We'll NOT funny haha, but odd i guess. What really makes me mad is how every story always has, my doctor said it's normal and to wait it out. It almost always ends up horrible. I started a new job on Monday and one of my co-workers and I got into a little chat about pain pills and what the side effects were... We'll to make a long story short, she has ovarian/uterus problems in her family as well, and her sister went through the pain and ended up having a large cancerous cyst. Which is pretty rare for a cancer diagnosis. I think it is incredibly sad how doctors don't take us serious. And the handful who do get crap from us about how awful the others are. And because we were so dang frustrated they get our attitude and anger as well. I wish they would take more steps in solving the pain rather then shrugging it off. I hope they don't sleep well at night, because we don't. Honestly, how can they let someone leave their office who is doubled over in pain and say I can't help you, and I wont refer you to some one who can. Use a higher absorbancy, and take some pain pills. And then go home and sleep soundly? How did they become a doctor anyway? And if they are limited by their practice or association with other doctors, how do they stay there? Urrr. Anyways, the message was supposed to be that it is sad and horrible how doctors don't take lower abdomin pain seriously. Its like you have to make it seem 100000000 times worse to get anything done..

I hope you are feeling better momof6...yes, make sure you call multiple times and let them know the scale of pain. Tell them your bleeding is not normal, and by all means go to the ER, and even if you don't have the surgery done, call your doctor and tell them you were in the ER. I would get a second opinion anyway. Oh... to get the surgery done faster, call the doctors office and tell them you want to schedule it, then the nurses can call the insurance company and get it approved..they move faster then the doctor. Worst case tell them youhave to get it done because you have some event (vacation or something) coming up and you want to be healed in time. Good luck.

I hope everyone is feeling better.

Oh one more thing, if anyone goes on Depo Provera be sure to take calcium, it suppose to lead to bone density loss in some cases! Depo is supposed to be one of the best ways to remove cysts in any form.

Last edited by Quakes99; 04-06-2006 at 07:13 PM.

Closed Thread