It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
(female)

Catherine83 HB User
Yeast Infections & Soap???

I recently came off of an antibiotic and got a yeast infection from it (happens every time). I made an appointment with my doctor who couldn't see me for 3 days or so. Since I had 3 days to sit and be miserable, I decided to do some research online. I found several websites that mentioned not using soap at all because it not only kills the bad bacteria but also the "good" bacteria. Now, I'm one of these people who the thought of not using soap (especially down there) just gets to me. To make a long story short, my doctor gave me 1 diflucan and the yeast infection was gone within 24 hours...but now I'm still pondering the idea about the soap! Can anyone give me your take on this? I must admit that there were 2 days that I couldn't use soap and had to just use water because it burned so badly, but should a woman really not use soap in the vaginal area ever???? If soap is used, is there a special kind that I need to look for? I've been using Dove Sensitive Skin Bars for years. Thanks so much - Catherine

Old 04-06-2006, 06:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Yeast Infections & Soap???

It is best to take showers instead of a tub bath.
Use Neutrogena Liquid Cleanser or Cetaphil Cleanser. Neither are soap.
Use hand held spray to rinse area well.
Wear cotton underwear.
Wear loose clothing so air can circulate.
Use hair dryer to dry area as often as needed.

Always request med for yeast and take/use during the time you are on antibiotics in order to prevent yeast infections. An ounce of prevention is worth a lot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2006, 10:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

YOu shouldn't use soap down there at all. There are special soaps you can buy for the vaginal area which are great and if you want to use something use these or not at all. You should be able to wash with water and that should be all thats required.

Old 04-07-2006, 12:46 PM   #4
(female)

Purple_2005 HB User

It's okay to use soap just not anti-bacteria soapos. Those are the soaps that give you yeast infections. For example, some of the dial soaps are anti-bacteria soaps so you shouldn't use that one. I think you said you use Dove I don't think that's an anti-bateria soap so that should be okay. Just pay attention to the package next time you buy your soap and it will clearly say if it is anit-bacteria or not. They do have feminie was soaps like the "Summer's Eve Feminine Wash". It's a blue gel-liquid type of formula but you can only use it internally. Most people don't read the bottel and when they use they get irriated. If all fails you can always ask you doctor what he/she would reccomend.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:15 PM   #5
(female)

JulieDe HB User

Ever since my last infection, I've not used soap in the shower either. I just rinse the area really well as part of my shower routine.

Old 04-08-2006, 10:18 AM   #6
(female)

Catherine83 HB User

Thanks so much for all of the advice! Yes, ever since my yeast infection went away I've just been using water in the shower instead of any soaps. I'm scared about irritating that area again because its just miserable having to go through work and daily activited with that. Once again, thanks! ~ Catherine

Old 04-09-2006, 12:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I never ever soap the vaginal area with soap of any type. I don't care whether they say that it's OK to use down there or not. After going through a couple of agonising years with virtually non stop yeast dramas and then finally getting it cleared up there is no way in this world i'd risk soap down there.

I do use soap on a wash cloth on the inner thigh area and bottom, just not at the vaginal or the inner lip area. I only use warm water and give that area a thorough clean. It never smells badly (unless there is an infection down there) and my partner still has no issues with doing oral. I'm sure if there was an odour he would be the first to not hold back and he'd say something.

Remember if you are about to take antibiotics then buy yourself a probiotic. It comes in capsule form, you must keep it in the fridge and take it with water at least a half hour or even an hour before your meal on an empty stomach. Acidophillous might be good, but a probiotic which has multiple strains of the good flora is even better. I take one probiotic per day before breakfast or before dinner regardless as it's supposed to benefit you in many other areas not simply for when you are on antibiotics.

Closed Thread