It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2006, 05:22 PM   #16
(female)

jac1968 HB User
Re: Cronic Bacterial Vaginosis

I went for a couple of years of dating my now husband BV free. Never had it before. Then, I got it once and it's haunted me since.

Of all the research I've done, there is nothing suggesting that a male can transmit bv but he can still cause it. Semen is different for each man and while you may never have had a problem with previous partners, all of a sudden one man ruins your life... oh, did I say that out loud? j/k - I try to keep a sense of humor about this blasted thing. Anyway.... I would also suggest going the route of the condom although you must keep in mind that that alone could still cause disruption of your ph levels. The latex could have an affect as well as the lube you use. So make sure you only use ph balanced lube and try to always use the same brand of condoms.

Having said all that, it never has made a difference for me. I don't let my husband ejaculate inside me but we don't use condoms anymore. It just never seemed to make a difference. (Wasn't he bummed when we learned about a week after his vasectomy that semen was a no no for me).

I have just started something new. I bought boric acid powder from my pharmacy and am starting to use it at night before bed. I will do this for a week and then I am going to continue for a second week along with Candaclear which is a lactobicili suppository. We'll see how it goes.

I've noticed a difference with the boric acid already though - only a couple nights of use. It seems my discharge is way down and not so smelly. I've read though that the boric acid is akin to using an antibiotic in that it will destroy good and bad bacteria. So you then need to follow up with long term support to replenish the colonies of good bacteria...

blah blah blah. All the things we never wanted to know about our vaginas.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2006, 07:13 AM   #17
(female)

SLEEPIHED HB User

Bv Support Group? Where Do You Go???

Old 04-12-2006, 05:08 PM   #18
(female)

jac1968 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPIHED
Bv Support Group? Where Do You Go???
I am a member of an online support group much like this one but it is specific to women with BV or vaginosis. All it is is a yahoo group that someone started a few years ago just looking for info and it evolved into a support group. That is where I find alot of information and ideas about alternative solutions to living with this. There are unfortunately, many women that suffer from BV.

In the beginning, the group really gave me a boost that I wasn't alone. I had never even heard of BV so I was just completely grossed out and embarrassed and depressed. It really is a whammy on your personal life, something the doctors don't seem to understand or give a crap about. They are like - it's not going to kill you so just shut up and live with it, what's the big deal.... yeah. ok.
YOU trying have a sex life with BV....
YOU use a crowded public bathroom always trying to cover your BV smell before you leave the stall....
YOU try going to the gym and work out for longer than 10 minutes without feeling the "uh oh" " bubble of wetness.
I know this isn't going to kill me but it has killed my once active, healthy sex life - before our first anniversary had come around.

Old 04-14-2006, 03:06 PM   #19
(female)

RiAnne HB User

i just want confirmation that BV is incurable. i'm tired of trying all these strange medications all for them not to work. this is crazy. if i find out that it's not curable then i'll just have to deal with it and wear a tampon every day of my life cause at least that keeps the smell in. but having doctors try all kinds of crazy medication on me that doesn't work is annoying.

Last edited by RiAnne; 04-14-2006 at 03:06 PM.

Old 04-16-2006, 02:20 PM   #20
(female)

anxiety27 HB User

I know this may sound weird but I really need to know: What does a normal female scent smell like anyway??? Seriously....

Old 04-17-2006, 12:49 PM   #21
(female)

jac1968 HB User

RiAnne -

Do you really use a tampon everyday?
This could eventually cause you more harm not only because they harbor bacteria but you are taking a greater risk of getting toxic shock syndrome (my sister had this years ago) - TSS is very real and can be very dangerous. Do some research on TSS.

I know that you feel you've got to do something. I completely 100% understand this. But don't do something that is going to make your situation worse. I have resigned myself to the fact that if it does eventually go away, it ain't going to be anytime soon. So like you, I need to do something to try and control it and get my life back.

I have read countless useless or unrealistic "remedies" for living with this. I try to read through all the hype and bunk to try and avoid wasting my time and money on crap that won't do anything.

I have been using boric acid powder and have found it has made a noticeable difference for me. I bought a 12 oz bottle through my local pharmacy. They had to order it for me but it was in the store ready for me to pick up the next day. It was very inexpensive, around $12. Can't remember exactly but it was under $20 for the bigger bottle. You are supposed to buy empty gelatin or veggie capsules (size large, O) and fill them and then insert. I don't do this though. I use an applicator that you get with an OTC yeast med and fill it about 1/2 inch and then insert before bed. You can experiment with how long and how often you need to use it.

It is highly toxic if ingested so you do need to be careful with storage of it but inserted vaginally, it is fine.

do a search online for boric acid suppositories to find more info. Look for a link to rockwell nutrition as there was an informative article written by them.

Julie

Old 04-19-2006, 03:42 AM   #22
(female)

RiAnne HB User

no i don't really use a tampon every day. some girl with a problem with smell that one of my friends knew back in the day did though. i don't know if it was because of BV or something else though. i think i'm going to try to boric acid thing. i hadn't tried that yet.

Old 04-19-2006, 03:44 AM   #23
(female)

RiAnne HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiety27
I know this may sound weird but I really need to know: What does a normal female scent smell like anyway??? Seriously....
i wondered this same thing. cause really unless you've smelled other females how would you really know what is 'normal'? but i just remember how i used to smell before all this BV crap. it's basically just a regular scent that doesn't turn your nose i guess though.

Old 04-20-2006, 07:35 AM   #24
(female)

Colleen04 HB User

I had BV 6 times in 1 yr...and it sucked (for lack of a better word!). Well...I've been BV free for 1 1/2 yrs now. I think I might have it back right now, but thats a diff story. But...what did it for me, was I got my partner treated. Yes I know, some drs say you can't transfer it, while others say you can. But it was worth a try. And I take acidophilus religiously now. I also stopped using tampoms, even though I don't think that was the cause of my prob. And I also stopped taking baths. Well, I might have it back now, doesn't it figure! But I think it might have to do with my b/f "falling out" and hitting my anus area, and I hadn't taken a shower since my last bowel movement. It sounds stupid, but I NEVER have sex unless I had taken a shower since my last bowel movement...the one time I said "oh who cares!" I get it...pretty ironic. Dr. doesn't think thats why but he's not me! But anyway...I just wanted to share some of the things that have worked for me in the past 1 1/2. I know what everyone is going through, and it sucks

Old 04-25-2006, 08:13 PM   #25
(female)

Karin60 HB User

Hi again. Just wondering whether anyone has heard of the product 'ecoVag'? It is a probiotic vaginal capsule that is used for 8 days. Much better than using repeated doses of antibiotics. These are manufactured in Denmark by Bifodan and should be available at the pharmacist. I purchased some online in Australia so i'm sure they would be available in most other countries. For the chronic sufferer their availability means you won't need to see the GP for a script. And they are absolutely safe containing the natural lactobacillus found in the vagina. Check out the website for further information,

Good Luck

Old 05-01-2006, 06:28 AM   #26
(female)

rupgal HB User

Hi Ladies,

Wow, I'm glad I found this forum - it has been very interesting.

Has anyone heard of a product called Envara? More importantly does it work? They seem to have tons of women claiming it is the only thing that has worked for them.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-01-2006 at 08:25 AM.

Old 05-01-2006, 06:29 AM   #27
(female)

rupgal HB User

Has Enzara worked for you?

Old 05-01-2006, 05:54 PM   #28
Inactive
(female)

lala-whatsnext HB User

I am dealing with the same problem, I am lucky if I go a month or two before its back. I get so sick of going in and getting in the stirups.
One thing I am confused about is that I see the same alternative treatments for yeast infections are given here in some thread for BV. Is this error on the posters part or are things like yogurt good for both infections. That doesn't seem right to me.

Old 05-02-2006, 08:34 AM   #29
(female)

rupgal HB User

Hi Guys,

I just started using the apple cider vinegar as I understand that sometimes a PH inbalance will cause some of the BV problems. This is just my second day with the vinegar and I've noticed a difference already. I will keep an eye on things and let you know how it goes.

Hopefully if we put our brains together we can all live BV FREE!

Old 05-03-2006, 03:03 PM   #30
(female)

jac1968 HB User

Rupgal - BV is definitely caused by a ph imbalance and while I think you should continue to try to do what you can to treat yourself, I would not get my hopes up about the ACV after just two days of use. You can pretty much flush your vagina out with plain water for two days straight and see an "improvement" of your symptoms.

But all you really are seeing is a flushing of the bacteria which causes the discharge, smell, itching and or burning. You really need to wait 2 or 3 days after stopping the ACV treatment to see if it's helped you.

I don't mean to be discouraging but I've rarely seen ACV help anyone in the long term. I used it for awhile when I first started looking for answers and a cure - I tried drinking diluted solution of it as well as sitz baths and douches. None of them worked. I did feel it gave me relief using it vaginally but only for very short periods of time - as in hours. Nothing I would consider practical for long term use and in the end if you are douching with it you are just opening yourself up for other problems. Excessive douching can cause your vagina to dry out believe it or not. Constant washing away of your body's natural lubrication is not good for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupgal
Hi Guys,

I just started using the apple cider vinegar as I understand that sometimes a PH inbalance will cause some of the BV problems. This is just my second day with the vinegar and I've noticed a difference already. I will keep an eye on things and let you know how it goes.

Hopefully if we put our brains together we can all live BV FREE!

Closed Thread