It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2006, 01:31 PM   #1
(female)

ness67 HB User
should i be worried about abnormal pap smear?

I'm very worried about my smear tests. I have had to have repeated smears every 6 months for the past couple of years as they came back borderline, i have recently had the 4th and waiting for results. Should i be worried?

Old 05-09-2006, 04:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: should i be worried about abnormal pap smear?

No, I don't think you need to worry. Have you had a colposcopy done or any other treatment? I'm sure your doctor would tell you if you needed to have something taken care of.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2006, 01:31 AM   #3
(female)

ness67 HB User

No i haven't had anything doene yet, just smear after smear. Doctor keeps telling me it's nothing to worry about but it is worrying me. I have 7 weeks to wait for my next results

Old 05-10-2006, 02:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

Hi Ness

I had an abnormal smear test last year and had to have further treatment, i am now going back every 6 months for smear tests.

Dont worry.......my gyn told me that it takes years for abonormal cells to change into cancer in the cervix.

You are having the right treatment at the moment, regular smear tests and im sure if there are further changes they will notify you immediately.

Dont worry too much im sure you will be fine

Old 05-10-2006, 09:50 AM   #5
(female)

ness67 HB User

Thanks sharon76 you put my mind at ease. Have to admit the first couple of result i cried and got into a real state but now i just say, oh not again, and just get on with things. Fingers crossed this one comes back ok. Thanks for putting me at ease x

Old 05-10-2006, 11:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

Hi Ness

I was exactly the same as you, when the nurse rang me and told me that my smear test had come back abnormal and i neeeded further treatment, i cried thinking i had cancer or was going to get it.

But my gyn reassured me and said about it taking years to turn cancerous, so i eased off. I have to go for another test in a couple of months but im not worried after what i was told by my gyn.

Every smear test results that comes back borderline, is far better than coming back abnormal, dont you think ? Of course ideally you want it to come back nornal and not borderline, but at the mo they are coming back borderline which is far better Even if you may need treatment in the future, try not to worry as they are keeping a close eye on you and i'm sure they will start treatment ASAP if they think you need it.

The smear tests are daunting and very uncomfortable but you know you are doing the right thing going back every 6 months

Take care and try not to let it get you down too much

xx

Last edited by Sharon76; 05-11-2006 at 02:22 AM.

Old 05-12-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

Yeah, like others said, if you cervix was exhibiting serious changes they'd have treated you by now. So, I wouldn't worry unless your results progress to a higher grade.

Old 05-24-2006, 10:20 AM   #8
(female)

FlorenceC HB User

I also had an abnormal pap just last month, so I have to wait until Oct for my second one to see what happens. I was also very upset when I got the call. I'm still worried but I don't let it affect my daily routine but it is always in the back of my mind. Hopefully, the next one is normal. . . . Good Luck to you!!

Closed Thread