It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2006, 06:04 PM   #1
(female)

lonacon HB User
Bad smell after sex..Thrush??

I suffer from recurring thrush
Only after sex, and only as a bad odour. (no iching etc.)
I have had tests done on many occasions and they all have the same result...THRUSH

I have had all the tests for diabeaties which all turn out normal.
My Dr. has said in the past that this is something that is "normal" for me and and at one time suggested to use thrush treatment - suppositories ,all the time.
I mostly only use cream about once a month (for 6 days) and take aphodopholis and cranberry tablets daily.

I was worried that I had an infection, because the smell is sort of fishy, but the tests have all said it is thrush.

As I said after sex it starts(immediatley) and will continue if I don't use one of the over the counter creams for thrush, OR if I rinse out with water(kinda like douching sp?) every day for about a week.

It is really starting to affect my sexual relationship as I am very paranoid about the odour and have started to refuse sex

Any advise to what else I can do??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2006, 09:37 PM   #2

Dianesd HB User
Re: Bad smell after sex..Thrush??

I have had the same problem once. I kept getting thrush every month just before my period from the pill (I was taking Diane at the time). The symptoms you describe may be bacterial vaginosis caused from recurrent thrush. My dr prescribed metronidazole tablets, which are the conventional treatment for bacterial vaginosis however they did not work for me. Finally I went to the chemist and got Diflucan after being advised to try it by my dr. It is available over the counter, just tell the pharmacist that you have used topical thrush treatment but it hasn't cleared it up.
Hope this helps, I had BV for almost a month before I found something that worked.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2006, 07:04 AM   #3
(female)

shai`anne HB User

I had bv so many times. I didn't know you can get it from tampons. I had to get a prescription for Flagyl every couple months.

Old 05-20-2006, 05:53 PM   #4
(female)

lonacon HB User

Thanks for the replies
I have taken Diflucan once, but that was probably more than a year ago.
I will try that again.

I am also wondering if I should also get my boyfriend to take it, as I only get the smell after sex??
Is it possible for men to GIVE us thrush??

Old 05-20-2006, 07:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Of course it's possible! If you have it, your bf should be treated too, so you don't keep passing it back and forth.

But because you mention it only happens after sex, have you considered the possibility that you're having a reaction to his semen or the condom, if you use condoms? If you two are using condoms, it's certainly common for women to have reactions to the laytex, lubricant, or spermicide, and it always manifests itself as a yeast infection. If it's the semen, many women have complained on here that they have an awful smell for days after, and it's caused by the semen and their vagina's reaction to it. In either case, I'd suggest either start or stop condom use (do the opposite of what you're doing) and see if that makes any difference.

Old 05-21-2006, 12:05 AM   #6
(female)

lonacon HB User

Hi Thisby
We don't use condoms, and it only happens after he has finished inside me.
I'm not too keen on the idea of starting to use them, BUT if that's something that has to be done I guess we could get used to it
Quite often I try to get him to finish anywhere else after which I have no problems.
I have thought long and hard about what may be causing this to happen to me, and have wondered in the past if it was maybe a reaction like you mention, when I've been tested in the past, the dr's have told me it's thrush.
He drinks beer and I have wondered if this might have something to do with it
The thing is, it's immediate
I can smell it within minutes

Old 05-21-2006, 10:07 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

I hate to recommend this, since in general it's a bad idea, but if he won't wear a condom or ejaculate elsewhere, how about douching right afterwards to remove as much as you can? It's all about keeping the pH level right. Douching is known to upset the balance in some women, but you're going to have that anyway, so maybe it's worth a try. Maybe you can find some natural douch recipes online?

As for your doc testing you and saying it's thrush, it's a cause + effect thing. Something external has caused the yeast infection. e.g., taking antibiotics can cause a yeast infection, as can a reaction to condoms, but a test will show as a simple yeast infection, no mention of the cause.
You need to fix/elimnate the cause.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:58 AM   #8
(female)

lonacon HB User

HI again Thisby

When you say "it's a cause + effect thing" it again makes me wonder about things in his diet, like beer!!

The douching I am willing to try, but I don't know anything about doing it so will have to look around online to get info.

As i think I said, if I do wash myself out , as in almost literally suck water in...(I really hope that's not TMI ) and do it almost immediatley afterwards, and then every day for a bout a week, things aren't too bad.

The thing that does worry me a little is the SMELL.
On the packet for the creams that I get from the chemist, it says something like "if there is odour consult your dr" Like saying that THRUSH isn't meant to smell

I have to admit I haven't been back to get tested for over 6 months.
It is the same symptoms as it was when I last got tested(the odour), BUT, do you think I should see a doctor just in case??

Closed Thread