It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2006, 08:30 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

sonic HB User
Heavy period the older i get!

Hi all,,,Just wondering WHY this is happining? & will it get worse the older i get?

I am 47. (& have endo) my periods USE to last 3-5 days fairly light , 1 tampon for the day & a pad at nite. My LAST period lasted 7 days,,very heavy ( 4 tampons in one afternoon), 2 pads at nite.
~~~ I thought periods got lighter the older we got?
I dunno....
Is anyone else like this?

Old 05-25-2006, 06:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User
Re: Heavy period the older i get!

Oh yea, what you're describing is not that uncommon as we get older. I know I've been experiencing heavy bleeding since my son was born, but that was almost 20 years ago.

I'm 50, no sign of menopause yet; enlarged uterus w/fibroids. I usually need a D&C every 5 years or so because I have polyps that need to be removed. Those can also make you bleed more.

It might not be a bad idea to set up an appointment with your doctor just to make sure nothing else is going on. In my case, I'm just waiting it out until menopause...if it ever comes!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2006, 11:42 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sonic HB User

Sunny,,,are polyps dangerous? what would happen if you didnt have a D&C?
I hate going to my gyn, he always has something bad to tell me,,last time he said my uterus was tipped & my bladder had dropped.
Isnt it great getting old?

he wants me to have a colonoscopy,,i tried a few yrs back & the pain was INSANE,,(sigmoidoscopy) I will NEVER go through that again.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Colonoscopy is different than sigmoidoscopy...they'll give you lots of medication to basically put you to sleep. They call it twilight sleep. My husband remembers waking up once during his colonoscopy and having it hurt for a second and they pumped in more drugs and he went back to la-la land. The prep is the worst part because you have to take a serious laxative to empty your bowels...you'll spend an evening on the potty (take in some magazines).

Old 05-25-2006, 12:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User

Hi Sonic

The only thing with polyps is that there is a chance they could be cancerous; but more often than not with women our age, is that they are benign growths that are bothersome. I had numerous ones and they were even going into the opening of one of my tubes this last time. My doctor said it's the estrogen that feeds them. In my case I've still got plenty of estrogen and am nowhere near menopause according to him. I did have a rather large one that was discovered from having hysterosalphogram (an ultrasound where saline is inserted for better pictures).

If I didn't have the polyps removed, not really sure what would happen except for more bleeding and worrying that they could be cancerous. Luckily, my doctor and I are in complete agreement with whatever he recommends and even though it's a pain having D&C's every few years, I'm glad it's done so I don't have to worry. It's pretty painless anyway, just a day of inconvenience is all.

Thanks for reminding me about the colonoscopy. I need to have that done this summer, too.

You're so right, it's great getting old!

Closed Thread