It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2006, 02:22 AM   #1
(female)

kwright HB User
Question Heavy period and pain

I have had 3 c-sections and my tubes tied. My uterus is damaged due to scarring. Ever since the last section, I have had really bad stomach cramps sometimes bad enough I sit in the fetal position and cry myself to sleep. My periods are so heavy I cannot leave the house for 3 days because i have to go change every 20 to 30 minutes. I am wearing the super plus tampons and pads and still bleeding through. What on Earth is causing this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2006, 06:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mystic_star HB User
Re: Heavy period and pain

this sounds exactly like what I went through. I have endometriosis (where the uterine lining grows outside of the uterus) and I struggled with horrible cramps and awful bleeding like what you describe! I got on the pill almost 3 years ago, and boy what a God send!! I take Mircette, and because they only have 2 inactive pills, you get a steady enough supply of hormones so the bleeding is very light and with me I only spot lightly for 1/2 a day and then it's over! Have you talked with your doctor? I bet if you do, he'll suggest that you go on the pill (unless you have some physical reason not to). There is also a procedure called Uterine Ablation where they cauterize the lining and you don't bleed anymore. You can only consider this option if you're totally sure you never want anymore kids becuase it damages the uterine lining permanently. Since you've had you tubes tied, you're a perfect candidate because they do require you to have them tied before they do the procedure so there's no risk of future pregnancy! Whatever you choose, I wish you the best of luck because I know how frustrating it is!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2006, 12:44 PM   #3
(female)

darkwater HB User
Re: Heavy period and pain

I agree, you should be checked for endometriosis, PLUS fibroids. Both of these are notorious for causing very painful periods and crazy heavy bleeding. I have one of these conditions and suspect I may have both, and I have always had quite painful periods, and as I have gotten older, more heavy periods. By heavy, I mean I go put in a super-plus tampon and within 15 or 20 minutes, blood is running out onto my clothes and whatever I am sitting on. I too have to double up with tampons and pads sometimes to just have maybe an hour when I don't have to run to the bathroom. I have found out that wearing two tampons at once works well, too. Yes, if your vagina can hold a penis, it can hold two tampons at once very comfortably. There are times, especially if I want to get a few hours of sleep without worrying if I am bleeding all over the place, I put in two tampons and wear a pad. I don't have a really heavy period every time, just maybe 4 or 5 times a year. Other times, I am light for a day or two, get heavier on days 3 and 4, then taper off on days 5 and 6. I am not on birth control to make my periods lighter or shorter, so six days is pretty normal. But when I was on the pill, it did seem to help with pain and lighter, shorter periods.

For pain, I swear by 600mg (three tablets) of ibuprofen every 5 hours, like clockwork for the first couple of days of my period, or for however long your pain lasts. Don't skip doses, even if you have to get up and take it during the night. I know the bottle says take less than this, but my doctor advised me that when needed, it is fine to take higher doses for short periods of time. She even said I could take 800mg (four tablets) every six hours. This has worked for me for twenty years now, since high school, and it keeps me pretty pain-free during my periods. Just be sure to take it with food and/or milk, or at the very least a lot of water or other liquids, as it can cause stomach problems in there alone. Other people say Aleve helps them, but it tends to upset my stomach more than ibuprofen. I also tend to have strange gastrointestinal symptoms right before and during my period. Strange diarrhea, gas, and bloating, and sometimes vomiting. My food doesn't seem to digest right, for some reason.

This female equipment is so much trouble sometimes. Hope you find a solution to your problems that doesn't involve surgery. You really should try birth control pills taken strictly for medical reasons, since you have already had your tubes tied. But if nothing else works, a surgical procedure, such as uterine abiliation or even a hysterectomy may be in your future. I only say this because so many women I know have problems of this nature and sadly, the medical community has a very limited number of solutions to offer. It may be that you have so much scar tissue after three c-sections that the muslces in your uterine wall can't contract normally and expel the lining without causing you pain.

Closed Thread