It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2006, 09:09 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

V_dubgurl HB User
Anyone have abnormal pap?

I got a call from the gyno a few hours ago. They said that the dr wants to see me about my pap results. I asked if there was anything wrong and they said no he just wants to speak to me about some stuff. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? I thought everything was fine down there. I have had no problems other then my period being 2 weeks late now. What should I think about this? I am stressing so bad. They said they could get me in June 5th and I was like what nothing sooner? So they got me in tomorrow on my lunch. I don't know what to think other then cancer. Im freaking out.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:27 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lovethoscurls HB User
Re: Anyone have abnormal pap?

There are many things that can make a pap come back abnormal. Don't think the worst. Wait and see what he says. If you have a pap done every year it is probably not cancer. Cancer shows up as pre-cancerous cells first which are VERY treatable, and can take years to turn into cancer if they ever do. So just wait and see! Good Luck keep us updated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2006, 10:19 AM   #3
(female)

FlorenceC HB User

I just had an abnormal pap in April. They will do another in Oct. They make you wait a while so whatever is going on in there can correct itself. They said sex, douching, scarring inside (which could be from your last menstrual) all can affect the results of a pap smear, that there is no need to worry. I was very worried too, but I researched on the internet and asked my mother who is a labor & delivery nurse and I'm sure we're both fine. Many women go through this every day and go back for their next pap and it's normal. Just take comfort in knowing that since you do go for regular paps that the chances of you ever developing cancer down there are very very small. Early detection is the savior for many women. They nip it in the bud before it ever gets to bloom. Hopefully, we have nothing to detect. Good Luck to you!!!

Old 05-31-2006, 01:18 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

V_dubgurl HB User

Thanks guys but im still worried!! Its just in my nature to worry. Last visit he said see ya in a year I was not looking forward to that call. I did talk to him about me ttc but pregnancy wouldn't show up in a pap would it? I can't wait to see what this is about. Thank god he got me in tomorrow and didn't make me wait long.

Old 05-31-2006, 01:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

Dont worry.
Honestly, if it was abdnormal the doc should of called you not the nurse.
But you will see him tomorow and then you will know exactly what is going on. This is why a woman should have a pap done every year. As long as you go faithfuly, you should be fine !!
Let us know what happens

Old 05-31-2006, 03:28 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

V_dubgurl HB User

Thanks guys. I will let you know how it turns out. Wish me luck!!

Old 05-31-2006, 04:22 PM   #7
(female)

Jaye HB User

Good luck!!

I had a normal pap for 30 years and then last year I get a call from my doctor after my pap saying I have an abnormal pap and that they found Atypical Cells of Unknown Origin!! I freaked but he assured me that it is not cancerous and to repeat the pap in 4 months. That pap was normal so he said repeat in 6 months which I just did this past April and that one also was normal so I am good until next April. If another pap was abnormal then they would have done a procedure called a Colposcopy to kill the cells. He assured me all this is quite normal for being abnormal and many woman get these abnormal paps from time to time.
Jaye

Old 05-31-2006, 08:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

If I have sex one to two days before my pap, the results will be abnormal. I have learned to not have sex for a week before the pap so I won't have to be freaked out anymore.

Old 06-01-2006, 04:18 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

V_dubgurl HB User

Come to think of it I did have sex the night before. YOu think that could have something to do with it?? Well Ill find out in a few hours.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:16 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

lovethoscurls HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye
Good luck!!

I had a normal pap for 30 years and then last year I get a call from my doctor after my pap saying I have an abnormal pap and that they found Atypical Cells of Unknown Origin!! I freaked but he assured me that it is not cancerous and to repeat the pap in 4 months. That pap was normal so he said repeat in 6 months which I just did this past April and that one also was normal so I am good until next April. If another pap was abnormal then they would have done a procedure called a Colposcopy to kill the cells. He assured me all this is quite normal for being abnormal and many woman get these abnormal paps from time to time.
Jaye
A colposcopy is what they do to take a closer look at the cells, and sometimes biopsy with this procedure. It doesn't kill cells.

Good Luck V_dubgurl!

Old 06-01-2006, 01:29 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I agree..
A coloscopy is a procedure that thry do to help determibe what is causing the abdnormal papa, as in my case it was very low grade HPV.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:19 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

V_dubgurl HB User

Thats what they said mine was hpv. Im still alot confuzed about it all. But he said almost 80 percent of people have it. My pap came back fine I was just positive for hpv. Uggg im so depressed and confuzed.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:37 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

It is OK....The doc is right...so many people have this. It is the most common STD around. It can also lie dormant in your system and you may not find out that you have it for years.

Did you have a colposcopy done??
First, I had a pap and it came back low grade abdonormal.. So my doc did a colposcopy. He tested it for everything. It came back as Low Grade HPV . He said I have 2 choices I could wait and see what happens. It could go away by its own or (and I dont want to scare you) it could turn to cancer. Or I could have a LEEP done. I decided on the LEEP. I had it done almost 8 years ago, and I have had normal paps since.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:41 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

having sex too close to your pap smear can cause an abnormal pap, to be certain that i am not risking it.....i dont have sex for 4 days prior...........having a pap too soon after the end of your period can cause an abnormal reading...i now wait until it has been 10 days since the last day that i bled or spotted..before agreeing to a pap.there are soooooo many things that can cause it to be abnormal....that we could prevent...if we just read up on it and became more aware. i didnt know until i had my very first abnormal last year. VERY SCARY! first one showed mild dysplasia (low grade squamous cells)...had a colposcopy done......it showed that all was fine.......so repeated pap 6 months later.......again....it was abnormal.......this time....it showed mucous.....which was just an infection that my body cleared up on its on....how do i know????? cause i went in 6 months later for another pap......and it was NORMAL!!! YAY!!

However........i just had another one done......it was time for my annual.....not surprising........it came back abnormal. low grade squamous cells again. but i am not worried..BECAUSE....i had 2 periods last month....and they told me to keep that appt regardless of whether i was still bleeding or not...just in case something was wrong...the bleeding stopped just 2 days before my pap....so i am figuring thats why it came back abnormal. i go june 5th.......unless i am on my period.....and odds are that i will be and will have to cancel.

i wish you luck......just keep your appts every year....(or 6 months if they require)....dont let anything or anyone keep you from your appt.....your life depends on it. i hate having to go....i would almost rather take a beating.........but....i grin and bear it and just try not to focus on the embarrassing ordeal....and focus more on i am trying to make sure i live a long healthy life!

Closed Thread