It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2006, 02:17 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User
Question Intense Menstrual Pain -help??

Hi everyone...this is my first post on this particular board. I hope someone can help point me in the right direction so I can have a semi-educated discussion with my doctor.

I am a 43 year old woman whose menstrual cycles are becoming irregular and instensely painful.

2 to 3 days before my flow starts, I experience lower back pain, followed by pain down the backs of my thighs, bends of my knees, calves and heels..pain so bad I can't stand to walk. Up until several months ago, I only had the usual menstrual cramps, tender breasts, etc. This is something new.

Have any of you had a similar experience? This has been going on for several months now and always coincides with my period, which is why I am certain it is a menstrual-related issue.

ANY input would be SO APPRECIATED!! I see my doctor for a physical in July...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2006, 02:35 PM   #2
(female)

InHiding1984 HB User
Re: Intense Menstrual Pain -help??

Before I started taking the pill I had severe pains such as the ones you are describing, it is terrible and I can sympathise with you.

Are you on the pill at all? As if you arent, this can help alot!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
(female)

survivor77 HB User

you may have a urinary tract or kidney infection. Ask them to take a urine sample. I just went through this too. I thought it was my period but antibiotics are fixing it. I had an ascending urinary tract infection that spread to my kidneys. It hurt during my period. If your back and kidneys hurt go to the Dr. asap bc it can effect your kidney function permanently. for now drink alot of cranberry juice and water. You can also drink pms tea as it's good for thekidneys.

I couldn't sit up for 4 days a month. I also now have an irregular cycle (diff than before the pain). They didn't find any blood in my urine so it wasn't loin pain haematura which is good.

I was going to take meds to stop my period but bactrim and levaquin seems to be working. I also have to drink cranberry juice or it still hurts.

take care, survivor

Old 06-18-2006, 02:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User

InHiding...thanks for the input. I was on the pill from my mid-20's to early 30's and dropped it after deciding to get pregnant. I never went back on it because of side-effect concerns at the time. I'll talk with my doctor about this.

When I was on the pill, I had zero menstrual cramps...but what I experience now (in addition to cramps) is something new and entirely different from what I have experienced before.

Old 06-18-2006, 02:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User

Hi Survivor...thanks for your input also! But unless I have a perpetual infection, I don't think that's the problem. This has been happening for several months now, and only at the onset of my cycle. Ahhh..the joys of being born female! LOL!

Old 06-18-2006, 02:47 PM   #6
(female)

survivor77 HB User

I noticed when the symptoms intensified that i bought scented maxi pads on accident. I think this complicated the UTI. Is any of the pain over your kidneys?

Old 06-18-2006, 03:08 PM   #7
(female)

InHiding1984 HB User

It can just be menstrual, as all my pain was nearly everywhere on my body lol but I think seeing a doc would definately help, as they can do tests and stuff

Old 06-21-2006, 01:37 PM   #8
(female)

survivor77 HB User

hey, i just thought of you bc i read that kidney infections can cause pain in the backs of the thighs as well (I am still reading up on my own problem). My problems span several months as well. Severe period pain started in late Feb. and continue to now. The periods got gradually more painful and i thought it was Endometriosis at first but my back hurt over my kidney area too. They also coincide with my periods mostly but are responding to levaquin antibiotic. The painful periods are much lessened now. I am having some antibiotic resistance though and it's possible my issue isn't simple.

I just wanted to let you know that you should ask your Dr. about it. also... i wouldn't wait to see the Dr. either as it may be cummulative.

take care!

Old 06-21-2006, 07:26 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User

Wow! Thanks for the input...I HAVE been buying scented maxi's! I never thought it would be a problem!! And yes, sometimes the pain is over my kidneys. I am in the process of changing internists, so I'll let you know what the new doc says as soon as I start seeing her!

Closed Thread