It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2006, 06:29 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User
Chronic Cervicitis

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I have just been diagnosed with chronic cervicitis... and after reading a little about it, I understand that it can cause lower back pain, abdominal pain, discharge, spotting... etc. all of which I have and upon examination my gyn found a severly inflammed cervix complete with bumps...

I probably have had this for about 2 and a half years, but just recently switched gyns and was diagnosed.

I was given a 7 day dose of metronidazole (Flagyll)... but somehow think it's not going to be that easy to get rid of. I am also afraid to take this as it can cause stomach upset... something I don't need (I am suspected of having Inflammatroy Bowel Disease or similar)

He also told me to take advil for the pain... but I cannot take ibuprofen due to GI problems.

I am also a little worried about the ability of this to cause infertility... I was planning on starting a family with my fiance within the next year or so.

I would love to hear from someone who has been through this...

Last edited by Angela22F; 06-22-2006 at 08:50 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Angela22F For This Useful Post:
tonyarundio (05-08-2012)
Old 06-22-2006, 09:25 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User
Bumpy Cervix

After doing some more research regarding the chronic cervicitis... I came across some articles on cervical erosion.

The two may go hand in hand.

Also, cervical erosion may explain why I have a "bumpy" cervix... as a "bumpy" cervix is not normal, it should be smooth - which I was never told! Anyway, I won't go there... but cervical erosion or ulceration, can cause the cervix to have a "bumpy" appearance. This may go away on its own... or it can lead to cervical cancer.

Does anyone here have any experience with a "bumpy" cervix? The Gyn has only ever referred to it as such. I am just wondering if this should be treated... I have Flagyll that I will begin taking in the morning (as prescribed above)... but I don't think that is proper treatment.

Sorry for so many questions. I would love to hear from someone who has experience with cervical erosion/ulceration though I think I am just concerned that I may not be getting proper treatments (I also have HPV - not the strains that cause warts, but the strains that cause cancerous changes - but have not developed dysplasia to my knowledge, just keep getting abnormal results this seems to be a never ending cycle)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2006, 05:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User
Re: Chronic Cervicitis

Hi ANgela

I havent been diagnosed with what you have but i did have an abnormal smear test which showed up mild dysplasia.

The routine over here is to have regular smear tests as it usually clears up by itself, but i had to have further treatment. I had a leep done, and they lasered the abnormal cells and done a few biopsies, fortunately it came back not cancerous!

With regards to fertility it can sometimes cause problems once pregnant depending on if a person had to have some of their cervix removed. In most cases a stitch can be inserted in the cervix to keep it closed during pregnancy.

If you keep getting abnormal results i would personally ask for it to be treated now. How long have you been getting abnormal results???

I had one abnormal result and my doc treated it straight away.

Also there is a website which i go to alot to get info, [url]www.isc.ro[/url] go there

Last edited by Sharon76; 06-27-2006 at 05:53 AM.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:53 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User

Thanks Sharon...

It's a long old story... this is my second GYN... the first, although a good doctor, had terrible bedside/people skills.

The first Gyn is the one who originally diagnosed the HPV and a bacterial infection...he removed a cervical polyp on my initial visit (I have no idea as to the pathology either!)... and then I had colposcopies done with biopsies every 6 months for 2 years - I think it was two years, it was at least 4 seperate occasions anywayz.

But, he did not tell me WHY he was doing this... he would just come in and do the pap and whatever else he decided to do, without telling me the reasoning... so I have no idea, I may have had dysplasia that he was watching, or maybe he just liked doing the colposcopy and biopsies for all I know. He didn't even tell me what procedures he had done... I found out later that one was called a colposcopy through research on what I saw him do... I don't know if he did any other tests, he only referred to the procedures as taking longer than a normal smear would....

Then, one day I demanded to know what was happening... WHY was he doing all these tests... and I refused the pap. to which he told me to get out of his office and he did not want to see me anymore, he would send a letter to my GP stating that he did not want to see me again.

So about a year and a half later, while having some complications again... I asked to be sent to a different GYN. my GP was surprised, had thought I had still been seeing the previous gyn, and when I told him the story he was in complete shock...

The second gyn, I seen last december, and while he has excellent bedside manners, I question his ideas. I had all the same symptoms then, as I do now, except now they are more severe... and he tells me now that it is Chronic Cervicitis... but in dec it was "normal".... which confuses me.

He said that the cervix is inflammed, and bumpy... but what in the heck does "bumpy" mean?? the cervix is supposed to be smooth... he also described the bumps to have a white appearance.... but he does not seem concerned! But I am concerned...

This second Gyn also told me up front that he does not do biopsies unless he deems it a necessity... I'm fine with conservative treatment, but I think I need a biopsy done again... he doesn't, so I don't get one.

At the last appt., he told me the pap from dec was clear, and no dysplasia was present... but, from previous treatments and experience, I know a pap just samples one area... and "stuff" can be missed. But he doesn't want to see me again for one full year! Even with my history, and my current cervicitis.... which is a whole nother thing... while cervicitis can go away on its own, some women require further treatment and removal of the cells affected... and I've had these symptoms for way too long....

and this post is too long, so I'll stop there. Like I said, I'm just concerned I'm not getting proper treatment... I feel I am no further ahead at this point...I wish I could put Gyn #1 and #2 together, with #1's treatments and #2's bedside/people skills.

I hope that makes sense....

Cheers

Last edited by Angela22F; 06-29-2006 at 06:44 AM.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:14 PM   #5
(male)

andy78 HB User

Angela,

Since it has been over a year from when you first wrote, do you mind if I ask whether you've had success conceiving? My wife and I are concerned about this since she too has been diagnosed with chronic cervicitis.

Thank you,
-Andy

Closed Thread