It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2006, 12:39 AM   #1
(female)

misschicka2006 HB User
Question Dark brown blood during Period

Hello, if anyone could help me with this that would be great. I am 17 years old and my period has been really weird this time. It started normal with a regular flow of bleeding, but about 3 days into my period, it almost completely stopped and now I just have brownish discharge. It is weird because it is clear with brown mixed in, but I have brown clots too. There is still some normal red too mixed in with the brown. I inserted my finger up there just to see what's happening, and its like the brown stuff is on the sides of my vagina. My period is also lasting longer than normal. I am not on any birth control nor medications. Does anyone know what this could be? Thank you.

Old 06-25-2006, 05:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

fallen_angel HB User
Re: Dark brown blood during Period

Hi there,
i honestly dont know what this could be, but if you are sexually active i would advise seeing a doctor or taking a pregnancy test as an unusual period can be a sign of being pregnant, not meaning to alarm you but its best to get checked out.
my period does go brownish and similar to what you described at the end, but it really depends on what is normal for you.

Last edited by fallen_angel; 06-25-2006 at 05:33 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
(female)

misschicka2006 HB User
Question Re: Dark brown blood during Period

It's mostly weird because the brown isn't coming out in a flow or anything. It's jsut sitting up on the walls. When I take my tampon out, the brown is on there mixed in with blood. Also, when I wipe I see light brown discharge too. I thought if you were pregnant you have no period, or just light brown spotting? My period was actually really heavy at the beginning of just normal blood so it started normal. Anyone else have any ideas?

Old 06-25-2006, 11:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

fallen_angel HB User

my friend had normal periods all the way through her pregnancy, its very unusual but not impossible. so i would get checked just to be safe!
other than that,i really dont think its anything to worry about. i dont mean to sound graphic but when my period's finished and i dont need to use a tampon anymore, if i put my finger up there ive got the same brown stuff that you mentioned around the walls for about 2 days afterwards, even though nothing's coming out anymore. i think its just the uterus clearing the last of everything out.

Old 06-25-2006, 12:37 PM   #5
(female)

misschicka2006 HB User

Yeah, I've been thinking of buying a preg. test just to make sure. My boyfriend and I haven't had actual sex, but we have fooled around so it does worry me. I just feel so weird walking into a store and buying one, since I am so young and I know people will look at me differently, and I can't go to my doctor because my family doesn't know we even do that.

Old 06-25-2006, 03:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

fallen_angel HB User

misschicka,
dont feel bad about buying a test, if you need to, you need to.
i very much doubt you are pregnant based on what you said. our bodies do weird things at times, my period isnt the same every month. try not to worry about it.

Old 06-25-2006, 07:26 PM   #7
(female)

Michelle4 HB User

I have had that problem. Mine was due to endometriosis. I have had surgery twice for it in the last 6 years. After the surgery, the brown goes away. Maybe do a search on the web and see if you have the symptoms of endo. I would definitely see a doctor. Do you have any pain?

Old 06-25-2006, 08:21 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by misschicka2006
Hello, if anyone could help me with this that would be great. I am 17 years old and my period has been really weird this time. It started normal with a regular flow of bleeding, but about 3 days into my period, it almost completely stopped and now I just have brownish discharge. It is weird because it is clear with brown mixed in, but I have brown clots too. There is still some normal red too mixed in with the brown. I inserted my finger up there just to see what's happening, and its like the brown stuff is on the sides of my vagina. My period is also lasting longer than normal. I am not on any birth control nor medications. Does anyone know what this could be? Thank you.
I would say at your age that this is normal. Every woman (in my opinion) gets this brown yucky stuff at some point in there period life! Your periods every month are not going to be perfect and are not going to be same as the previous month. Always expect the unexpected! Anyways, i would say you have nothing to worry about, and that it's just an odd period. If you haven't actually had sex, then please by all means...the last thing you want to do is worry about pregnancy! Because if you are not wanting a child, but are worried you might be pregnant, it will bug you day in and day out! You'll probably have some sleepless nights worry about that stuff! I know i did. So now when i ever think i might be pregnant i calm down until i know..if i dont..i literally go nuts! Be careful even when fooling around though. But honestly i think you are fine!

good luck!!

Old 06-25-2006, 08:27 PM   #9

Wingsoflove HB User

Why would having Endo cause blood to turn brown?

Old 06-26-2006, 03:53 PM   #10
(female)

Michelle4 HB User

Because with endo, the same cells that grow in the uterus, also grow on the outside of the uterus and cause "endometrial implants", which disrupts/blocks the flow of blood, when your period is over, the implants shrink and finally allows the blood to flow, so the brown blood is old blood that has been collecting. The inplants can grow anywhere outside the uterus, like on the intestines. Endo is associated with heavy painful periods, so if you dont have any pain during or after your period, its probably not endo.

Hope that makes sense, I understand endo but it is hard to put into words.

Old 06-26-2006, 05:33 PM   #11
(female)

knittingwings HB User

With many have dark brown blood at the end, exactly like you've described. I really wouldn't be conserned. : )

Closed Thread