It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2006, 07:47 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User
Cervix

This may be a dumb question, but what does a closed cervix feel like?
Also, I am on the pill (i don't know if that makes a difference or not) but what does your cervix feel like right before you are soon to start your period?

Old 06-28-2006, 06:33 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

willo1980 HB User
Re: Cervix

Ok, let me see if I can describe this. A closed cervix should feel like a soft ball and the opening should feel like the tip of your nose with a small indent. It's usually a little harder than the surrounding tissue. If you're pregnant, you can sometimes feel a mucousy substance that is the plug as you are dilating. As your cervix is opening, that little indent starts to feel like a ring and you can start to like force your finger into to it. That's why they measure your dilation during labor with fingers. If they can force 3 fingers into your cervix then you are 3 centimeters dialated. When the doctor can get his whole fist in, or the the head is present, then you are ready to push! You also have to be effaced and all that fun stuff. I'm not sure, though, how much it opens when you're on your period. I've never checked. I would assume that if you checked and you're cervix was open, and you're not pregnant, then most likely you're going to be on your period very soon? I know the cervix only open when something needs to come out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2006, 07:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User

Well ive been having bleeding in between periods from the pill, so does that mean its open (because if it was closed nothin could come out??) But from what you describe it feels closed even though im due to start my period today or tomorrow.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:07 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

willo1980 HB User

Ok. I found a site that said this, "With the approach of ovulation it becomes softer, opens, and raises its position relative to the uterus. At infertile times it is low, closed and firm." But this opening, at the peak of your fertile period, is only 15 mm wide. We are not talking very big so you're not likely to notice it. What you are likely to notice is that your cervix is LOW and SOFT. From what I can summarize, and I'm not a health proffessional just a mommy whose been through two births, if you were pregnant and it was period time, your cervix should still be pretty high (difficult to reach) and firm to touch.

I know that when I was looking for signs of impending labor with my second, I kept checking for the softness of my cervix. When my cervix stopped feeling like an unripe peach and started feeling like a mushy banana, we were getting somewhere. If you want to be pregnant, you'll be looking for your cervix to be high and hard.

As to the opening you are looking for, it's probably going to be too small for you to notice with just your fingers. I would notice the feel of your cervix and how high it is. For your period, the cervix should be soft and low.

Old 06-28-2006, 11:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User
Question Re: Cervix

Well ive come to notice that the feel of my cervix is all over the place. one minute it will be hard and the next soft..or visa versa. Or One minute high..and the next low..so i dont know what it really is! Its weird!..i can feel the opening. it feels somewhat open.. i can get a tiny bit of my finger tip in it..so i am assuming its open. I had some cramping today..went to check..and i touched the cervix and i pulled out my finger and it had a little blood on it. so i am sure its open. do u agree? I am due for my period today or tomorrow..might of started today..but not totally sure bc i have been spotting through this whole month of pills...so idk if this is period blood or spotting blood. well see.

Last edited by Longview; 06-28-2006 at 07:37 PM.

Closed Thread