It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2006, 06:33 PM   #1
(female)

fmscott HB User
Question Is it normal to bleed while ovulating?

Hi! I'm a little concerned about this, but I'm not sure if there is a need to be. I am 28 years old, married, and in good health. I had one Depo Provera shot last September, and did not get the shot again in December because I could not deal with the side effects. I have not used any form of birth control since then.

Anyway, since February, my periods have been regular, 28 day cycle with little variation. My last period was from June 18-23, and on day 14 of my cycle (July 1st), I started bleeding again. It wasn't just a little bit of spotting either, it was enough to have to wear a tampon. It's pretty much done now, so it only lasted about 3 days.

I'm really confused because my next period wasn't due until July 16th. Since this happened right around the time I would have been ovulating, is it normal to bleed during this time? I have tried searching for info, and all I could find was that it is apparently common for some spotting during ovulation, but this was more than just spotting. Thanks in advance for any replies

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2006, 07:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

daisy-duke77 HB User
Re: Is it normal to bleed while ovulating?

The shot (even 1) could be the cause of the spotting. Hormonal birth control can do weird things to our bodies. It isnt uncommon to spot in mid cycle but it sometimes can be a concern. Maybe see if this happens with the next 2 periods and if so..................then i would definately go see the gyn. Really though.............if you had awful side effects from the shot, then this could just be that it disrupted your cycle. This can happen when starting the pill..........getting an IUD............and any other form of hormonal birth control.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2006, 02:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

It could be that your periods when you got off the shot were anovulatory bleeds. Those are periods where you bleed but did not ovulate. Could be you've been having periods without ovulating. One website I visited mentioned that you are likely to have anovulatory cycles after the BC shot.

[ REMOVED ]

Possibly this could be the case? Might not be a bad idea to see your gyn. or doctor if your periods and bleeding stays erratic the next couple of months. Sometimes it can take about a year for your cycles to regulate after stopping hormonal birth control.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-05-2006 at 07:09 AM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites for any reason whether or not you personally benefit

Old 07-05-2006, 12:54 PM   #4
(female)

fmscott HB User

Thank you both for your replies. I had never heard of "anovulatory bleeds" before, thanks for that info. The bleeding has stopped, it only lasted for three days.

Starting last night, however, and into today, I am experiencing a really odd "heavy" feeling (for lack of a better word) in my uterus area. If I do start bleeding again in the next few days, I think I will probably go to the doc to get her opinion.

Closed Thread