It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2006, 07:21 AM   #1
(female)

myBVhell HB User
Angry Chronic BV (1+yr) and Trying to conceive

Here is a brief over view of my own personal BV hell. I have been with the same man for over a year. NEVER had any issues previous to him, so it's obvious that our chemistry (literally) is off. I work for an OBGYN group at a hospital and you think it would help, but as I have seen first hand, they continue to do studies and research with no real cure.

I could live with the BV I think, but I am trying to get pregnant and that is where the issues come into play. You CANNOT take Clindamycin OR Metronidazole in your first trimester of pregnancy (or in my case if your trying to conceive) since you never know if you have or not until you get your monthly aunt flo visit. In addition to that, you are NOT supposed to use any suppositories or douche if you think you might be pregnant as well.

Thus my issue: I want a child, but I have chronic BV, to add to the issue...... BV has also been associated with miscarriage and pre-term labor if not treated within the 2nd & 3rd trimesters (which i could do if i could get rid of it long enough to even get preg. and make it past the first trimester)

SIGH! I suck down Acidophilis like its going out of style. Im up to 3 pills morning and night along with the vinegar/hydrogen perioxide douches if I absolutely KNOW I have not conceived........

Im not sure if Im just ranting here, or if Im somehow hoping that someone has some valuable piece of information that Im missing or any thoughts that might help..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2006, 07:46 AM   #2
(female)

o_janus_o HB User
Re: Chronic BV (1+yr) and Trying to conceive

No personal experience, but just what I think I'd do. First off, if you think your partner could be contributing to perhaps you should limit your penetration sex. Not always the ideal solution, but still... There are so many toys out there and so many other fun and loving things you can do. Does using protection help get rid of it as well? I presume he has been treated for any infection he might be pasing back to you?

I'm thinking if you go for a while without intercourse and can get the bv to lessen then perhaps with one big shabang durring the right time of the month you might be able to get pregnant and stay that way.

I guess people also use yogurt to treat yeast infections. They insert it like they would the suppositories or something. I havn't tried it, but it's supposed to work well.

Personally, I'd wait as long as I could and then start doing vinegar douches again.

Maybe with the right timing and a bit of luck and perhaps divine intervention you could get pregnant and not be miserable for too long.

Good luck to you!

Old 07-20-2006, 08:50 AM   #3
(female)

myBVhell HB User

Unfortunately, because BV is NOT a sexually transmitted disease, his being treated if futile, even though we have tried. Its a Ph imbalance of the vagina caused by an over abundance of bad bacteria and not enough good bacteria. The yogurt most people use contains live lactobacillus, which is the "good" bacteria needed, subsequently, its also the main ingredient in the probiotic acidophilis that Ive been taking twice a day (3 pills a each dose). The hydrogen perioxide is also supposed to aid in cutting down the alkaline causing agent that triggers the Ph imbalance and leads to the overgrowth of bad bacteria.

Unfortunately, I think its more related to my hormone balances being thrown off and upsetting the balance than believing its related to him. My occurances are normally associated with my menstrual cycle, either right before I start or as soon as Im finished. There seems to date to be no actual product that can regulate your Ph, there is one over the counter at drug stores called RePhresh I believe, but that contradicts my not being able to do a suppository type treatment.

UGH............. anyway, thanks for the advice......I will run the less frequent sex by my fiance, somehow Im sure he will not be over joyed to say the least... but I do understand where you are going with your suggestion.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

fallen_angel HB User

hi,
you mentioned Metronidazole, have you ever had a successful course of it? i suffered from BV for 3 years and that whole time it was wrongly treated as being thrush (id had thrush before so they just assumed it was that again). id had every single thrush treatment in my doctors surgery and i finally couldnt take anymore, i was actually crying with how bad it was, when someone suggested me going to my local sexual health clinic.They swabbed me for all infections and it was then that they discovered i had BV and not thrush. I was so relieved to finally get the right treatment. they gave me a course of Metronidazole which cleared it up within days.This was 8 years ago and its never fully returned since.
im guessing you've probably already tried this, and i know it wont work for everyone, but it might be worth keep trying until it clears it as they are very powerful drugs. it might be worth putting your TTC on hold while you have a real bash at getting it cleared up. As well as the problems with pregnancy that you mentioned, BV can also make your vagina hostile to sperm so can make it harder to conceive, so its probably best to do this anyway.
another suggestion ive got is to avoid bubble baths and anything fragranced, i cant remember if you said this is something you do anyway, but it does help a lot.
good luck, i know how horrible this is

Old 07-20-2006, 12:31 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

punkybear HB User

Okay, I hope I can help you. I, too, have lived the BV Hell for two years and I seem to have (knock on wood) kicked it. I did all the obvious, eat yogurt, stop wearing thong underwear, cut sugar intake, etc...but I also did other things which I think were the real contributor to finally overcoming this horrible awful thing we call BV. First of all, and some people will tell you this doesnt work but it does and it may sound gross, but for a week straight I took an OB (they are stiffer) tampon and dipped it in plain yogurt and wore it for three hours and then changed into a new one. Do this all day long for a week. I absolutely swear by this. Really soak the tampon in yogurt. This is also soothing if you have burning or itching. Besides my yogurt tampon, I stopped wearing tampons for my period for six months and switched to pads. I also quit using my shower poof because they harbor bacteria and I wash my body in the shower with Dove for sensitive skin or cetaphil. And (this may sound gross, too but it really isn't) I stopped "washing" my vagina. I thought I had to wash it along with the rest of my body but I just rinse it in plain water. You see, the vagina is self-cleansing. This is all you need. I noticed after a couple of days of just doing this the odor had improved by 100 percent. I was just trying too hard to keep too clean and the vagina takes care of that naturally. If you do anything else you are upsetting the balance. Also, after a bowel movement I wipe like normal and then I wipe with a baby wipe to make sure it gets really clean because I believe bacteria in this area contribute. Oh, and try to eat a lot, and I mean a LOT of dark colored fruits and vegetables to get your immune system in top notch shape. I really hope that this helps you. It helped me.

Last edited by punkybear; 07-20-2006 at 12:34 PM.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:51 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

punkybear HB User

Oh, and you don't have to do this forever but for at least a few weeks until you are back to normal wear plain white cotton underwear. Not the sexiest thing, I know, but BV doesn't exactly make you feel sexy, either!

Last edited by punkybear; 07-20-2006 at 12:59 PM.

Old 07-21-2006, 07:07 AM   #7
(female)

myBVhell HB User

Hey, Obviously I am game for anything that would help. I am certainly not opposed to trying it, but the one thing that I have seen is that some things work well for some women, and not for others. However! I will keep a positive attitude, continue to take the oral acidophilis (lactobacillius as in yogurt) and try your sworn by yogurt douche ( as soon as im off my period ;-) )

Thanks for the suggestions.....and wish me luck.

Old 07-21-2006, 07:47 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

punkybear HB User

Good luck! I feel for you...it's an awful thing to have.

Old 07-21-2006, 07:01 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

punkybear HB User

I just also wanted to suggest that you may be aggrivating the problem by douching... could you maybe stop doing that and see what happens? It kind of goes along with the theory of not washing your vagina with soap- one thing I forgot to mention to you that seemed to help the odor is I sat in a bath with a cupful of cider vinegar every night for a few nights.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:55 PM   #10
(female)

annlouise HB User

I had chronic BV for a 2 years off and on. The only thing that finally helped was a prescription of Relagard. It will get the Ph of vagina back where it needs to be. I used for a few days until I was feeling better. Now I will use when I feel BV coming back. It is usually a day after I have had sex, but not everytime I have sex. It works better than the over-the-counter brand. Please try this, it really works. You will start feeling better after the 1st dose and there are no side effects.

Old 07-28-2006, 05:03 PM   #11
(female)

Joodee123 HB User

Coloidal Silver.....I use it and it works. I have BV every month before my periods because I am in peri-menopause and my PH balance is way off. I use the Colloidal Silver and there are no side effects and it is all natural which means that your body excretes all of it. I only use the metro stuff once in a while...it makes me very sick at the stomach. Go to any health food store and they'll have the Colloidal Silver.

Closed Thread