It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2006, 07:17 PM   #1
(female)

mum2three HB User
Embarrassing- Pubic Hair

I hate to post this, but......
Since I have been pg this time I seem bothered a lot more by this. I seem to be going to the bathroom all the time, and just don't feel "fresh" or "clean". I know its a trend for younger ladies to shave/wax, and I just wondered about it. I have tried the shaving once before, and I itched and swore to my husband it caused a UTI because there was no hair there to protect. I just felt raw. Now I feel like I want to do it. I did trim a little , and wear panty liners, I just feel gross all the time. Sorry if this is TMI, I just wondered which is worse.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:51 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

misip HB User
Re: Embarrassing- Pubic Hair

I hate shaving, and have never waxed, it just seems too painful. I have a personal hair trimmer by Remmington called the Trim & Shape (Women's Personal Grooming Kit), it's wonderful! I got it at walmart, and it was only $20-$30 dollars. It has 5 different heads, and the one I get the most out of is a trimmer/clipper head. Like they use on men, or dogs (lol). It has 4 different settings for length, and I use it on the shortest. It's not so short that it makes it *****ley, but short enough to be more than just "trimmed".

And it's great because you can't cut yourself... so even though you can't see down there, you can just keeping going at it in different directions until you feel satisfied. And I make my fiance use it too, makes everything less fuzzy

It's purple and comes with a silver carring case, in case you decide to purchase it. Oh, and it's waterproof! Great for taking in the shower! Hope that helps!

Last edited by misip; 08-10-2006 at 07:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2006, 09:24 PM   #3
(female)

Beyondthesky37 HB User

I don't think it puts you at risk for a UTI but you could ask your doctor just to be safe. I've shaved several times before and never had problems with UTI. If it bothers you then I would try to find a way to remove it. Maybe you could talk to your doctor and they could give you a less irritating way to remove it.
I went online and the only thing I really found that it could cause is an irritation rash of red bumps. But here's a tip to prevent those when shaving: You should scrub the area with antibacterial soap before shaving but if the bumps still occur try washing with antibacterial soap twice a day. I hope you find something that works for you. Goodluck.

Last edited by Beyondthesky37; 08-10-2006 at 09:29 PM.

Old 08-11-2006, 04:52 AM   #4
(female)

Lozzy_04 HB User

I always shave - when I can be bothered, its a fair amount of effort to upkeep I think, if you do it yourself. Ive always found that I only get the bumps if I shave on the actual pubic mound, whereas shaving right underneath never creates a rash, so I only do underneath and trim the top. I find this neat and clean, and works for me.

Ideally Id like to wax - it lasts longer than shaving. But I dont trust dh to do it, and dont justify paying to have it done every few weeks professionally.

Also I dont know how safe they are in pregnancy, but you coupld try a hair removal cream, or something else thats an alternative to shaving or waxing.

Last edited by Lozzy_04; 08-11-2006 at 04:56 AM.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:37 AM   #5
(female)

Laetitia HB User

I always shaved before pregnancy, but switched to just trimming with my DH's beard trimmer while pg. Having a "buzz cut" made things MUCH easier to keep clean post-partum, too.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:25 AM   #6
(female)

mrsb816 HB User

I just wanted to mention that I had read on another post before that productslike Nair aren't safe to use when pg. I don't know if its true for sure but I would ask a dr first if you consider it. Also, be sure to test on a small area (probably a different area). I used a similar product before going on my Senior high school trip about 8 yrs ago so I wouldn't have to shave for the week. I put it all on my legs and armpits w/o testing first (young and stupid) and was in agony for days. It gave me some kind of chemical burn or something. It was painful and itchy, but I have VERY sensitive skin and should have known better. I haven't tried it again since but I now a lot of people use it w/o problems. Just be sure to make sure its safe.

Old 08-11-2006, 09:06 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

I too always use a men's beard trimmer, set on the lowest setting (not the sideburn trimmer on the back, the guarded main blade, that is). I've been doing that for years, before I was even dating anyone.

I hate shaving because of all the itchiness and bumps. Plus, I feel like I'm 4 years old.

Another suggestion is to purchase the flushable moist wipes and keep them next to the toilets in your house. Use those to clean yourself a little after you go to the bathroom. They can be flushed and don't contain any alcohol. Kinda like a baby wipe, but for adults! Cottonelle and Charmin make some, but many stores also carry their own brand (check near the baby wipes in addition to near the TP at your store).

Old 08-11-2006, 09:32 AM   #8
(female)

greyash HB User

I have always shaved before, but now that it is so hard to see down there I use a trimmer - in fact I use the same one chasing prisms uses. I actually think I will continue using it after the baby instead of shaving - no yucky bumps, no irritation, no stubble to poke my hubby, much faster, much cleaner, not so annoying. My husband started trimming too after he noticed me doing it. He works hard in the heat and gets heat bumps and gets sweaty, so he likes it too. If it's safe enough for men's skin down there, then surely you wouldn't mind it. I would not reccomend waxing right now. It is very painful when you don't have hormones raging through your skin making everything hurt more. I can't immagine it now. Plus, they don't do the part that annoys the most - the edges of the labia. They will go as far as a brazilian which leaves a strip in the middle and they you have to trim that anyway. (at least my old place would)

Old 08-11-2006, 12:30 PM   #9
(female)

mum2three HB User

Thanks for all the replies to this weird subject. I would not wax as it almost killed me to do my eyebrows.LOL The nair, I feel like the chemicals would be harmful. A quick question about the clippers, do you get itching from buzzing. I also have been using unscented aloe baby wipes. The thing with shaving was I felt like the urine just laid on bare skin. I know weird,but it just felt that way.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:48 PM   #10
(female)

Just~A~ HB User

I tried a wax strip ONCE and it left a red mark the same shape as the rectangular wax strip. awful. I do shave, and I do suffer the red bumps but I try to put lotion on right after shaving/showering which helps.

I like the clippers idea, tho. I'll write that down.
~A~

Old 08-11-2006, 01:41 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

misip HB User

My trimmer doesn't make it itchy, even on the lowest setting. And I understand what you mean about the urine stinging. Plus, I don't know how people deal Aunt Flo and wearing pads (since we can't wear tampon's once our darlings are here), it just makes a mess everywhere!

Old 08-11-2006, 06:39 PM   #12
(female)

Angellica HB User

Use a TRIPLE BLADE razor~

I can't use a double blade razor or
I will get tons of irritation and many bumps

you will get much less bumps

I believe that I use the Men's Gillette Triple blade
disposable razor - It's Black and Grey

Old 08-12-2006, 06:09 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

JenW67 HB User

Plus, I don't know how people deal Aunt Flo and wearing pads (since we can't wear tampon's once our darlings are here),

Why can't you wear tampons?

Old 08-12-2006, 06:21 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

I would imagine that the restriction against tampons immediately after giving birth vaginally is to avoid irritating the walls of the vagina even further. It may even be an infection control issue since there may be some little tears and scrapes there.

Old 08-12-2006, 08:09 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

misip HB User

Yup, thats exactly why. I don't even want to think about how painful that would be. Yuck.

Closed Thread