It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2006, 09:47 AM   #1
(female)

DissolveGurl HB User
Numbness in thigh after lap surgery?

Hey everyone. Before I start I just wanted to say thanks to the other women on this board who help out by sharing their own experiences. With that said...

I had laparoscopic surgery Wednesday early evening to find out if I had an ectopic pregnancy, because my fallopian tube looked blocked and they could not find the sac in the uterus (i am about 5 weeks pregnant). Well, they did not find an ectopic pregnancy, but a tumor on my right ovary which is what everyone has been misdiagnosing as a cyst, a blocked tube, an ectopic pregnancy, and other stuff. Thank God it was benign. So I'm still pregnant and just waiting till they're able to actually see something in the uterus. That's the good news.

Now...with this being my first surgery, and the first time I have ever gone under general anesthesia, I am kind of worried about a few things and thought I'd ask here. I got out of surgery Wednesday evening, stayed in the hospital until Thursday morning, and other than the pain and bloating in my belly which was expected, I didn't really have any problems. Then, later on Thursday afternoon, I notice that a portion of my right thigh is numb. There is a red dot there that looks like I may have gotten a shot, and the muscle is tender by it, but when I asked the nurse about it, she said it DID look like a shot but she didn't see anything about it in my chart. But near it is where my thigh went numb, and it is now Friday afternoon and I still can't feel anything on that part of my thigh. Anyone else ever experience any numbness after surgery like this? I'm really worried because no one mentioned anything about giving me a local anesthetic before or after the surgery, and even if they did when i was under, wouldn't it have gone away by now???

I have been such a worrywart about everything I'm sure I'm driving the doctor's office crazy with my calls and questions, so thought I'd check here first.

Last edited by DissolveGurl; 08-11-2006 at 09:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2006, 09:53 PM   #2
(female)

Beyondthesky37 HB User
Re: Numbness in thigh after lap surgery?

I'm so glad to hear from you! I was hoping things turned out great for you and they did. Congratulations on the baby!!! I've never had experience with that type of surgery but I would definatly try again to get an answer from the doctor. You have a right to be concerned especially since you had such a big scare. Don't be afraid to ask the doctors questions if they act like you're a problem you could always switch doctors. It's their job to make sure you're ok and help you feel comfortable about the things you're experiencing. Again I'm very happy for you. Keep us posted.

Old 08-13-2006, 07:08 PM   #3
(female)

ilovesporty HB User

Dissolve Girl,
First of all, congrats on your pregnancy. I am just a little ahead of you at 6.3 weeks. I've never had lap surgery, but I did have some pelvic lymph nodes removed in March. I had numbness in both of my thighs right after surgery and it continues in my right thigh occasionally. I don't feel it every day anymore, but I still pops up every now and then. My surgeon told me that it is very normal following any surgery where they are cutting/exploring near nerves.

Hope this helps! Ask your doc if you're still concerned.

Good luck,
Meg

Old 08-17-2006, 09:49 AM   #4
(female)

pbjmom HB User

Hi!

I just had lap surgery for gallbladder removal. I have numbness from my inner thigh (pubic region), down the leg to the foot. I have called the surgeon and he is due to call me after his surgeries today. Where did your numbness go? Did you have any other problems?

The lap surgery went in through the belly button and then other incisions near the gallbladder site. Do you think the belly button area incision could be the problem?

Old 08-19-2006, 02:40 PM   #5
(female)

DissolveGurl HB User

It's been a little over a week since my surgery now and I don't really have much pain anywhere except for my thigh, where it was numb before. Now, it HURTS really bad even when i lightly run my hand over it, and moreso when i first stand up. Almost like if it were bruised inside. Earlier in the week my doctor said something about the possibility of a pinched nerve, and if it didn't go away in another week she'd have me go see a neurologist. Weird stuff =/

Old 08-19-2006, 04:21 PM   #6
(female)

pbjmom HB User

I, too, have had the ongoing numbness. My surgeon ruled out a few things and I think I have some nerve damage as well. Maybe sciatica. He said out next step is neurologist as well. Keep me posted as to how you are doing! Good luck!

pbjmom

Closed Thread