It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2006, 04:10 AM   #1
(female)

Hunnibuns HB User
BV.... its really annoying me!

Hi I have had BV in the past and what ever i seem to do it doesnt seem to go. Well it goes for a few days and then its back. If i have a bath i dont use any bubbles, if im in the shower i make sure im careful with shower gel. I dont understand why i get it. Sometimes i dont know whether i have it or not. I have a lot of discharge some days and when ever i do i just assume that i have BV again. I have taken anti-bioctics when diagnosed with it in the past but still im not sure. Is there any other symptoms that i can look out for to know for certain? When i do think i have it do i have to keep going to the GUM clinic to get tested and get anti-bioctics? Is there any thing i can do to prevent it coming back? My doc said once a girl gets it they are prone to it, is that true? so i am going to keep getting it for the rest of my life? it really gets me down cos its annoying. My discharge is a white colour but sometimes can be a pale yellow. Is this normal? Can a female pass it on to a male? I dont think they can but just want a certain answer. If any 1 can give me answers I would be happy.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

daisy-duke77 HB User
Re: BV.... its really annoying me!

I dont think you can pass it back and forth between partners. You know when you have BV............there is a foul smell, and discharge is usually runny and greish in color. A yeast infection is thick discharge and clumpy with burning and itching. When you had Bv in the past.............did the Dr perscrible Flagil (?sp) it's a gel that you insert.............that usually clears it up. Some women continue to get this infection. I have had it twice and havent got it back in years! Some things that can cause BV are..........partner ejaculating inside vagina..........douching..........cleain g with harsh soaps. All this can disrupt the PH balance in our bodies. This is what i changed, and i have never gotten it back. I shower right after sex.......i use Summer's Eve Feminine wash (very gentle) i NEVER douche! This has got to be the nastiest infection i ever experienced and extremely frusterating. Do try what i suggested and do ask your Dr for this perscription. Also, alot of times during an exam BV doesnt always show up on the pap. Believe me though...........you know when you have it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2006, 06:44 AM   #3
(female)

Hunnibuns HB User

Well cos ive had BV in the past, i didnt really realise what it was at 1st then i got it a 2nd time but i didnt really have foul smelling discharge etc. Its more of a yellow colour with hardly any smell. I havnt had that gel ive only had anti-bioctics but they dont seem to get it away for long. That gel, do you have to have it given to u by the doc or can you by it over the counter? just its really irratating. Thanks for the tips

Old 08-16-2006, 07:42 AM   #4
(female)

shannonbarie HB User

The gel that is mentioned is Metrogel and it is only available via prescription. Flagyl is the oral form of the same thing. I have found that Metrogel isn't as effective for me, but everyone is different.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:25 AM   #5
(female)

anxiety27 HB User

Some things that I know to work, when the prescription meds fail:
1. Never, never, never use soap in there.... ever! It takes awhile to be able to finally realize that this is key.
2. Vitamin C suppositories.

Old 08-18-2006, 02:21 AM   #6
(female)

Hunnibuns HB User

Thanks for the tips. I never use soap in that area any more but i havent tried the vitamin C. Is it the vitamin C tablets that u can but from chemists?

Old 08-18-2006, 04:01 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I've only ever had BV since my current partner. I had no idea what it was at first. Sometimes i would get watery discharge with a foul sewerage smell and other times it would be a chemical smell, kind of like amonia peroxide or bleach.

I took oral antibiotics for it a few times and then i ended up with a new doctor and she refused to treat it. She said if you can handle the odour you need to let your body get used to it and i was sent off without a prescription.

In the end i took her advice and i will now only get a slight amonia smell at the time of ovulation, then it goes away. I don't get it like i used to and wonder if the doctor was right. She said everybody gets BV to a degree, especially close to period time when your hormones change. She said repeat antibiotics will only treat that particular case, but wont stop you from getting it again. She said the best thing is for your body to get used to it.

The only thing which might also have helped me is after sex i will rinse that area with fresh water, so who knows.......

I havent heard of the Vitamin C. Will keep that in mind.

Old 08-18-2006, 08:29 AM   #8
(female)

anxiety27 HB User

I have read numerous posts about how women have used vitamin C suppositories, with great success. I just take it orally.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:02 AM   #9
(female)

Hunnibuns HB User

So if you leave BV it will just always be there and not clear up? so you doc just told you to get used to it. i wouldnt like the sound of that. Can BV harm your body at all? like cant make you infertile or any can it? If it cant is that why the nurse said to leave it and get used to it??

Old 08-24-2006, 07:01 PM   #10
(female)

Msplaygurl614 HB User

I've had BV since Feb and havent treated it, and its still there....I was too embrassed to go BACK to my doctor about it. No matter how many times she prescribe me Flagyl, it goes away and then comes right back. I just keep reading about Boric acid and Imma give it a try this time. I've tried Hydrogen Peroxide but its like that is just temporary relief. The discharge will be gone for a day, but the next day, if I dont use the Peroxide remedy, the discharge is 100 times worst. Its so gross.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:02 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Anxiety27.......re the vitamin C, perhaps that's why my BV has toned down to virtually non existent. I was found to be very low in iron a few months ago and began drinking orange/fruit juice with my main meals, so maybe that has had something to do with it. I also take a probiotic capsule every single morning one hour or more before breakfast.

Yeah, basically this doctor wouldn't give the nurse i was that day a prescription. She said there is no "forever and ever" cure for BV. She said all women have to to some degree and that taking antibiotics etc for it is worse for your health than the BV itself. She said that normally once you have had your period the BV is gone or is so low that it isn't smelly.

As i said before, i followed her advice, didn't take any more meds, i rinsed down there each time after sex and the only time i'll ever get odd discharge and a bit of smell compared to normal is when i ovulate. I know it's the BV but it's gone by the time my period comes along. The bit of odour that might occur isn't even the really bad one which i used to be able to feel as though everybody could smell it. That was bad.

I guess BV will remain a mystery.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:22 AM   #12
(female)

anxiety27 HB User

I don't know what the vitamin C does but I know it is great for it. Is there iron in vitamin C? I didn't know that? Keep taking the C and let me know how that goes for you.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:58 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

There is no iron in vitamin C, but taking foods or drinks with vitamin C in them when you eat foods which have iron in them helps the body to absorb the iron a lot better.

Closed Thread