It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2006, 09:36 AM   #1
(female)

eggysbrain HB User
Can you get a smear test during your period?

Because my Gyn seems to think so. I just stopped taking my BC pills after I got a horrible bout of acid reflux from them, which means I'll probably be bleeding when I see her next week. I called the office and told them and they said it didnt matter if I was bleeding and to still keep the appointment. I'd like to keep it because appts with the doc are really booked and this might be my only chance for a while! I need to get my pap and some new birth control!

any experience with this?

thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2006, 11:15 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User
Re: Can you get a smear test during your period?

Hi,
If your GYN says it's ok, then go ahead, although I had that happen once and it caused me all sorts of hassle. I was seeing a nurse practioner(in my GP's office) for my gyn exams and paps for about 7 years - never any problems. Then last year I was on the last day of my period for my pap - not much flow left, but still there.
It came back with a reading of 'benign endometrial cells present'. I think being that she wasn't a gyn, it was a little alarming - she consulted the Dr - also not a gyn, and he said it's 'probably' nothing.
Anyway - she sent to to a gyn just to be sure. The gyn told me that my smear was normal, but recommened an endometrial biopsy anyway. This really freaked me out, but I think since I had not been to a gyn for so many years, she wanted to make sure everything was OK.
Everything turned out fine, and I now go to her for all my 'woman' stuff.

Hope this helps - I guess what I'm saying, is - since your having this done with your gynocologist, you should be fine.

Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2006, 01:56 PM   #3
(female)

eggysbrain HB User

thanks mary- I'm glad it all turned out ok for you!
when I called and told them I'd probably be having my period the doc said "its ok if youre bleeding, so still come in"
I guess I'll go and see what happens. ugh.

anyone else have any experience with this?

Old 09-10-2006, 07:55 PM   #4
(female)

quinnersmom HB User

yes! I had a pap with my period. When he got in the room I told him I had his period. It did not even phase him. Don't worry, it is not big deal

Old 09-14-2006, 07:16 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

It make me the PAP all that more embarrassing but I have done it and had no probs.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:32 PM   #6
(female)

eggysbrain HB User

I just had it done today...I'd stopped bleeding pretty much by then so it wasnt bad. Just awaiting results now. Thanks guys!

xoxox

Old 09-16-2006, 03:25 PM   #7
(female)

justnotfair HB User

I did; I was spotting, more of a "pill-period". Anyhow, my tests came back as normal.

Closed Thread