It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2006, 10:47 PM   #1
(female)

rfr32 HB User
First Post! Mouth Pain during Period

I've noticed that lately during my period, my mouth sort of "flairs up." My gums get swollen and my tongue feels like I burned it. Also, I have a canker sore under my tongue. I know that during our period, our immune system is lower and we can be more prone to getting sick, etc. Has anyone ever experienced mouth issues during their period? Thanks!

Old 10-03-2006, 05:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

InDueTime05 HB User
Re: First Post! Mouth Pain during Period

I get the exact samething. My poor mouth is so sore the week before my period comes. I get canker sores and my tongue gets so sore like you said it feels as though it is burning. My tongue also gets patches on it and I looked that up and it is called "Geographic Tongue" and that it can happen to a woman during her menstural cycle or the weeks before. Also, stress can cause your mouth to flare up as well. But everything you described I get most months.
Brandon James 5/11/99 @ 4:48pm
Jade Elizabeth 6/7/05 @ 7:41pm

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2006, 10:18 AM   #3
(female)

rfr32 HB User

Thanks for your reply! I've also noticed that the thing (not sure what you call it) under your tongue that is attached to the bottom of your mouth hurts a little bit and it seems to have a couple bumps on it (not sure if they have always been there or not.) Is there any thing specific you use to treat this annoying monthly occurence or do you just let it pass?

Old 10-03-2006, 11:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

InDueTime05 HB User

Well, it's only been the last couple of months that I have had the tongue burning sensation. Normally, the only time my tongue use to flare up was when I was really stressed out. With the canker sores I got medicine at CVS. It numbs the sore and that really helped. But as far as the tongue nothing really helped I just tried not to think of it and I normally try to stay away from citrus drinks or hot drinks while my tongue is flaring up. I've read online that there is nothing you can do to make the pain go away. The things I listed were things that helped me. I also changed my toothpaste and that seemed to help too. Weird huh!
Brandon James 5/11/99 @ 4:48pm
Jade Elizabeth 6/7/05 @ 7:41pm

Closed Thread