It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006, 11:30 AM   #1
(female)

Melissa765 HB User
Talking Is it dangerous to take prenatal vitamins if I'm not pregnant?

Hello! I know that's kind of an odd question, but I'm having some problems that I think prenatal vitamins might help with. You see, I'm not pregnant and I will NOT be getting pregnant (I'm still in my late teens), but I'm anemic and I have had significant hair loss. I read that the folic acid, iron, and zinc (I think those were the ones), help make hair thicker and grow faster. I've also seen 2 of my aunts that were on prenatal vitamins (they WERE having babies though) get much thicker and longer hair, quickly! SO, I was just wondering if it'd be safe for someone who's not pregnant to just take OTC prenatal vitamins for this reason. Thanks so much!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2006, 12:05 PM   #2
(female)

hannahph HB User
Re: Is it dangerous to take prenatal vitamins if I'm not pregnant?

It should be ok to take over the counter prenatal vitamins even when not pregnant. I took them for a year prior to becomming pregnant. What I am thinking is that if you are having hair loss it probably is a good idea to check in with your DR. A lot of times it can be a simple thing like a hormone imbalance or thyroid issue. They can run some simple bloodwork to make sure you are not missing something.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
(female)

Melissa765 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahph
It should be ok to take over the counter prenatal vitamins even when not pregnant. I took them for a year prior to becomming pregnant. What I am thinking is that if you are having hair loss it probably is a good idea to check in with your DR. A lot of times it can be a simple thing like a hormone imbalance or thyroid issue. They can run some simple bloodwork to make sure you are not missing something.

Thanks for the info.! For the hairloss I did get EVERY (and I mean EVERY... it took over 2 months to get the results back because the testing was so extensive) hormone and thyroid test in the book, and they all came back completely normal. The only thing that was off was my ferritin (it was like a 4 or 5 I believe, which is really low), and another 5 or 6 things that are all related to iron-deficiency anemia. Good to know that it'll be okay to take those vitamins though. Did you notice that the hair on your head was thicker or growing faster while you were taking them?

Old 10-04-2006, 06:28 PM   #4
(female)

free2be HB User

Many doctors recommend that woman who are trying to get pregnant start taking prenatal vitamins 1-2 years before they concieve so it is doubtful they are harmful. Either way you should check with your doctor first.

Closed Thread