It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2006, 07:19 PM   #1
(female)

Veganbear HB User
Periods after going off Pill

I had regular periods (about 5 days long, always on time) before going on the pill, and while on the pill. I was on the pill about 6 years. I stopped taking the pill after my last period in July.

My period was a week late. It started Aug. 27. It was very light, brown, and lasted 2 days. By 'light' I mean using just a pantyliner and not having to change it all day because there's not enough in it.

No period in September.

Period in October started the 4th. Lasted about 2 days. Very light, and brown.

Is this normal? I know my body has to readjust from going off of the pill, and irregular periods are normal after that. But I KNOW there's more stuff in my uterus than what's coming out. And I did NOT like skipping a month.

For those of you that have gone off the pill, what were your periods like? How long did it take for you to readjust? I don't like not being 'regular'.

Last edited by Veganbear; 10-08-2006 at 07:23 PM.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:29 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User
Re: Periods after going off Pill

I was always regular before going on the pill and then took the pill for 14 years. When I finally quit at the end of June, I was concerned about not getting my period on time because I had read countless number of women don't get their period back for a long time after quitting.

However, I got mine back without any problems after quitting. I've had 3 normal periods since quitting, all at about 28 days each. However, I'm in a very small minority of women who get back to normal after quitting the pill.

I've encountered other women online who have said it took them from 6 months to a year after going off the pill to get their period back to normal. And it doesn't matter how long you've been on the pill, some women who only took it a couple of months are having similar problems.

So, the point is that you're one of thousands of women who has to wait for your period to stabilize again. You can try helping it along by taking a supplement called Vitex, available at health food stores. I've also heard red raspberry leaf helps to regulate the cycle as well. Do a web search for Vitex and red raspberry leaf and read for yourself what it can do to help you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2006, 07:33 PM   #3
(female)

Veganbear HB User

Thanks--I'll look up the Vitex and tea.

It would be one thing if I had irregular NORMAL periods. I'm not even sure I can call my brown spotting a 'period'....but at least SOMETHING'S coming out....

Old 10-08-2006, 09:26 PM   #4
(female)

Cats0000 HB User

Hi. I stopped by BC pills 8 months ago and am still irregular. Had 2 periods month for six months, now my last period skipped. Apparently it takes a long time for your hormones to regulate. I am going to ask my gyno about this at my next appt. Have you spoken to your gyno yet?

Old 10-08-2006, 09:27 PM   #5
(female)

Cats0000 HB User

Also, the brown spotting is probably breakthrough bleeding....progesterone controls that I think....not abnormal at all.

Closed Thread