It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2006, 12:23 PM   #1
(female)

Ravishing HB User
Breat Issues - Dr. isn't sure whats happening...

A week ago my breasts started to get sore and swollen. My nipples became very sensitive and have been standing at attention for no reason (I don't have to be cold or aroused or anything like that). I also have little purple veins appearing on my breasts. It feels like before my period comes but worse. My period is not due for another week (2 weeks when all this started). Normally my breasts get a little tender 2-3 days before my period comes but nothing like this.

I called my gyn because I knew something wasn't right. She said to cut out all caffiene and nipple stimulation until I she could fit me in.

Yesterday I went and she did a breast exam but found no lumps or bumps. She said she really thought that I was pregnant based on what she saw and what I was saying. I took a urine test but it came back negative. She was surprised and said to try again in 2 weeks if my period is weird or doesn't come at all.

We ruled out weight gain or a change in diet as causing the swelling and pain (apparently excessive amounts of soy can have the same effect).

She did a pelvic exam to check for ovarian tumors but that came out fine.

I am going for an ultrasound on my breasts to rule out a microscopic lump but she doubts anything will show up. She just wants to be thorough.

We are changing my birth control pill just to see what happens but I have been on the same one for 3 years now with no problem.

I'm to take 400g of vitamin E each day,and avoid any and all caffiene and nipple stimulation for another 7 days as well as wear a tight fitting bra 24/7 for that period.

In 2 months I'm supposed to go back so that we can regroup and see if anything has changed. She said that if there are still issues in 2 months I will have to go for an ultrasound to see if I have any uterine polyps as they create extra estrogen which could be the culprit.

Now for my questions!!

1. (the obvious) Anyone ever had anything like this before??

2. Wasn't it too early to get an accurate urine test for pregnancy considering I haven't missed a period and my next one is a week out? She said it tested for an hcg of 20. I would think that a blood test would be more accurate.

3. Whats the deal with polyps? I've done a bit of reading and they seem kind of scary. Anyone had any experience with them?

I know this is a long post. If you've stuck with me this far, thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2006, 12:46 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Unsure_88 HB User
Re: Breat Issues - Dr. isn't sure whats happening...

I'm not to sure about this one...pregnancy was my first though about it.
Maybe your body hasn't produced to much HCG for the test to come up positive. Just try and take the test the morning of your next period.

It seems good that she is going to keep up and checking on everything for you.
I hope all is well and everything turns up just fine.
Good Luck!!!!

Old 11-03-2006, 01:04 PM   #3
(female)

Ravishing HB User

Thanks Unsure,

The wait to test again is killing me. I missed a couple of pills (not in a row) so it is possible that I'm pregnant. We've been talking about trying for a baby anyway so it would be a welcome pregnancy just not in OUR timing. Pregnancy is also the "easy" answer in all of this. I'd rather be pregnant than have some unknown thing and have to go through a bunch of tests to rule out some scary stuff.

Can anyone enlighten me on polyps? I'm still kind of freaked out about that being a possibility.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:05 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User

I can tell you about polyps. I had a ton of them that had to be removed, so i had that done at the beginning of last month. I had a procedure called a hysteroscopy and polypectomy along with a D&C. I was, of course, freaked out really badly because I didn't know what to expect.

However, after having gone through the procedure, I can tell you that it's not as big of a deal as I thought it would be. The pain afterwards just felt like cramps and I had bleeding just like a period for about a week afterwards. Then my first period after the surgery was really not so bad. Less pain and more normal flow. So it was definitely worth it.

You should definitely get the polyps removed and biopsied, though. I wouldn't let those stay for very long. I don't know how long mine were there, but she said I was full of them. And she said that was what was causing my insanely heavy bleeding and pain during my period. She was right because it worked to help me with that.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:33 AM   #5
(female)

Ravishing HB User

Thanks, Bracelet

She doesn't know that I have polyps. Its just one more thing that will be ruled out in 2 months if there is no change by then. Glad to hear that its not as scary as it sounds.

Did the polyps affect your breasts at all or just your period?

Closed Thread