It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2006, 11:55 AM   #1
(female)

dmmom HB User
saline ultrasound?

Has anyone ever had a saline ultrasound? I never heard of it before, but I just got a call from my dr. I had a transvaginal ultrasound several weeks ago and it showed some fibroids and a suspicious polyp in my uterus. I then had an endometrial biopsy which thankfully came back okay, but dr. had originally talked about a d & c with hysteroscopy and is now saying that after a few more months of monitoring we can do a saline ultrasound first before d&c. (To me ultrasound sounds better because I am totally freaking out over any surgery.) Just curious if anyone can shed any light on any of this. Thanks.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User
Re: saline ultrasound?

Hello again! I've had the saline ultrasound, and if anything, it's just plain messy! It doesn't hurt at all. I was a wreck when I had it done last year and it was a piece of cake.

The doctor just inserts through a catheter some saline to show up polyps and fibroids better on the ultrasound. Only takes a minute and he's done, at least my doc was. It just makes a mess when the saline comes back out but it's to be expected. It doesn't hurt at all, maybe just a little cramp.

If you have a polyp, though, it's best it comes out because you don't want those growing in you. I have a large one plus a large fibroid and I've had it with the D&C route because I just keep producing them all over again in no time, so that's why I'm having a hysterectomy.

Best of luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2006, 08:44 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User

I had this procedure done in my doctor's office. And it's true that it's not really that bad. I think the mess that it made afterwards was more frightening than anything, but they said that was to be expected. I was glad I had it done because she was able to diagnose my polyps that were then promptly removed only 4 days later.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:13 AM   #4
(female)

hannahph HB User

I had this done last week too and it really was a piece of cake. I was really nervous but it wasn't a big deal. I think the onky uncomfortable part was the speculum , just like getting a pap. I didn't even feel when they inserted the catheter. The saline didn't hurt at all, but I had taken some tylenol before I left for the test. It is a bit messy after, they will put a pad under you to catch the saline and you will wear a pad home. I had some very mild cramps after but no biggy at all.You will do fine.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:40 AM   #5
(female)

CatluvsTrav HB User

I had this done about 3 weeks ago. I took 3 Advil before & it was a little uncomfortable. Cramping & a few twinges of pain. Discharge after from the saline & I had a little blood because the catheter pinched me a little. Mild cramping for about 4 hrs after. Not too bad & it was over in about 5 mins.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:50 AM   #6
(female)

dmmom HB User

SORRY.....ANOTHER QUESTION....Exactly what is the point of the saline ultrasound? Sounds silly, but does the polyp get removed during the ultrasound or what? I was taken by surprise when dr. told me that that might be an option rather than the d & c so I wasn't prepared to ask her any questions. Also, she said to get back to her after 2 or 3 more cycles to see how things were going. I'm still confused about ultrasound and if I will still need d & c. I guess time will tell. I was just so thankful that biopsy was okay! Thanks again for comments!!!! It sure helps when others talk about their experiences.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:49 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User

I believe by using the saline, it shows a more precise picture and the doctor can identify for sure what it is.

As far as having the polyp removed during the process; I'm not sure about that but if you do, take pain reliever for sure! I've always had D&C's because even though one only showed up, I had many microscopic ones beginning besides.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:11 PM   #8
(female)

novmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmom
SORRY.....ANOTHER QUESTION....Exactly what is the point of the saline ultrasound? Sounds silly, but does the polyp get removed during the ultrasound or what? I was taken by surprise when dr. told me that that might be an option rather than the d & c so I wasn't prepared to ask her any questions. Also, she said to get back to her after 2 or 3 more cycles to see how things were going. I'm still confused about ultrasound and if I will still need d & c. I guess time will tell. I was just so thankful that biopsy was okay! Thanks again for comments!!!! It sure helps when others talk about their experiences.
The saline will open your uterus up and also will allow the doctor to see things clearly on the ultrasound screen. I had one of these ultrasounds done about a year ago. The doctor called it a hystosonogram. She wanted to check for polyps. If I remember right, before they inserted the saline, the uterus looked "closed" on the screen and then the saline was inserted and the uterus opened up. I guess the best comparsion to make...that would be easiest to explain in words...would be like an deflated balloon before the saline and then imagine the balloon blown up a tiny bit w/ the saline.

I don't remember if she said the polyps could be removed at that time. I ended up not having any. She just told me that I didn't "have to have surgery".

edited to add - you may want to bring a pad with you for after the procedure. My doctor's office luckily had some there to use. The ones they gave me were very uncomfortable. I had wished I had brought my own. But just in case they don't have any to give you in the office, at least you'll be prepared!! Cause the saline does leak out...what goes in...must come out. It also leaked out over a couple hours for me.
3 yr old daughter

Last edited by novmom; 11-06-2006 at 06:13 PM.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:07 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

When I had the procedure done, polyps were found which resulted in my having to have a D&C and polypectomy.

It's really not even that big of a deal. Although the D&C is a surgery, it's really not as big of a deal as I thought.

We all know what cramps are like, and we all know what it feels like to have bleeding because we bleed once a month anyway. So the recovery from that was like nothing. I was surprised at how easy that recovery was. Even if you need surgery, don't worry about it. If you can handle cramps and bleeding just like a period, then you'll be just fine.

Closed Thread