It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2006, 06:19 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

brainchild HB User
Question Excessive weight gain

Hi,

Im wondering if anyone can help me shed some light on my problem as it is really worrying me and very upsetting also.

Over the last 12 months I have put on 4 stone, from 8 1/2 stone to 12 1/2 stone (118- 174 pounds) I am 5 foot 4 and 24 years old. I have always been slim my entire life, even thought when I was at uni my weight went up but only to 10 stone and then when I left the weight fell off again, and my weight has often fluctuated but only between 8 1/2- 10 never any more than that. Most of last year I was between 8 1/2 to 9 and then suddenly this year it just started creeping up slowly until I hit 10 stone again and I just thought oh great, but then it just kept slowly rising and rising and I have been 12 1/2 stone for the last couple of months.

Surely this is a HUGE amount of weight to gain in the space of a year, especially when I have always been so small! People keep saying to me oh well it happens as you get older but for starters, when I put on weight during uni everyone said it to me then and I lost it all again afterwards, also 4 stone in a year is not just normal 'body chape changing as you mature' and also no one in my family is large and I am naturally petite so why would that suddenly all change?
None of my old clothes fit me anymore I have gone from being a size 8 to a size 14 and I have been asked 3 times 'when is it due?' or 'are you pregnant?'
It is so upsetting, I seem to get bloated loads too which is uncomfortable and I just generally don't feel as fit and energetic as I used to, but I FEEL like being energetic!
I am worrying about what could be the cause of this, I dont know if it could be stress as I suffer really badly with severe anxiety and feeling panicky and since starting the job i am in now (in a shop) if has really got worse and I started snacking loads and drinking loads as comfort food almost but since my weight has crept up I havent been eating nearly as much, I have been ating a lot more fruit and trying to eat heathier foods. But I do still comfort eat, but even so I'm on my feet non stop 9 hours shifts full time (minus 1 hour lunch!), i have worn a pedometer and worked out that I do at least 10,000 steps a day which was what it recommends. I have been tryng to do exersize at home as well but sometimes the whole situation just gets me down, especially with constant anxiety attacks and worrying about other general life issues (and im also doing a part time masters degree too).
My job really got me down over the summer and last few months as we had no manager and all the responsibility was down to me and there was a lot of physical work so I just felt exhausted and stressed but still I was comfort eating, even if just mints or sweets, and i comfort drink too(not alcohol!), I drink a lot of water a day, between 2-4 litres, but the air conditioning etc makes it really dry.
The only other thing I could think that it could be is a hormone imbalance, especially as my periods have been a bit off timing wise and seem lighter normal some months but then normal the next, i have been to see a nurse and she checked my temp, blood pressure etc and did some urine tests, including a pregnancy test, and said everything was fine and i was probably just stressed, and that the weight gain could be caused by stress or a hormone imbalance (which in itself can be caused by stress she said) but she said also if i was still worried go to see the doctor and rule out things such as thyroid problems etc i didnt go to the doctor though, mainly because I was working non stop and couldnt get any time off but also after seeing the nurse i felt a bit better about things for a bit, but now I am worrying again and think I should really go and see the doctor but im scared.I have looked at symptoms of underactive thyroid and although I have the symtpoms of weight gain thats about all really, none of the other symptoms fit.

Another possibility is that I was on the contraceptive patch for a bit last year, but I was only on it for 3 months at most, and took it off in january so unless that sent me hormones totally out for almost a year afterwards i dont think the weight gain could be down to that.
Im just so angry with myself because I feel pretty sure that whatever has caused this weight gain is due to my excessive worrying and anxiety attacks, and how it makes me feel and how I respond to it, but im also worrying that this stress may have CAUSED some health problem that otherwise i wouldnt have had.
I think im probably going to have to go and see my doctor about it as i cant go on living my life like this worrying and getting upset, i keep getting really angry with myself that i have let it all get to this stage, where both anxiety and my weight/fitness are adversely affecting my life, especially when im so young and have so much that i want to do, but im also terrified, and wish i had some idea of what could cause all this weight gain or what i can do about it, if anyone has ANY help or suggestions at all i would be really appreciative

Thanks,

Laura

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2006, 07:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: Excessive weight gain

Your post is really long so excuse me if I missed this, but have you been to a doctor about it? Often, weight and metabolism changes can be caused by a thyroid disorder. If you are positive it is not a result of your eating/exercise habits, go to a doctor and have it checked out.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:09 AM   #3
(female)

emilycaitlin HB User

Hun I agree with what the previous poster said. Even though the nurse did make you feel a little better you should visit a doctor for some more testing. If you have a thyroid problem or some other physical condition causing weight gain it will be very difficult to lose without treating. A doctor might could give you some medicines too that could help you with the anxiety. It does sound really stressful for you right now, I hope you get some answers soon, take care em

Old 12-19-2006, 05:20 PM   #4
(female)

shadacali HB User

when i read your post it sounds just like what has been going on with
me for the past 1 1/2 yrs and im 27 and i went from a size 5 - 12 like 150lbs- almost 180 and im 5'8 and i too come from a very petite family ( my mom is 5'8 but weighs 125 ) i was always very slim. i cant explain it either and also my periods have gotten lighter and shorter so when you get some answers let me know please. thanks

Old 12-20-2006, 01:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

It sounds to me like you might have a hormone imbalance. First, you should get your thyroid tested to rule that out. Then, I'd suggest seeing an endocrinologist and getting some tests run on your other hormones, particularly your estrogen, progesterone, prolactin, that stuff.

I recently had an extremely negative experience on a birth control pill. I gained about 20 lb. in water weight in 1 month. I was constantly hungry and thought I might actually be pregnant because my abdomen over my uterus became hard and bulgy. I was not pregnant but had to go off the pill because of these effects. Plus, I had HUGE anxiety and mood swings, I was crying daily. I went off the pill in June and am gradually getting better, have lost about 5 lb. and my moods and anxiety are much better. I feel like my hormones are balancing out. I do think the pill caused me to have low progesterone levels. Since stopping the pill, I've had light periods but they are gradually getting heavier each month, so I think I am getting better.

It sounds to me like your hormones are out of sync, and if you're still having these effects, I think you should definitely see about getting your hormones tested.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

I agree with the other posters. It could be stress. It could be thyroid. Let the dr. do some blood work.

Closed Thread