It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2006, 08:01 PM   #1
(female)

debratheartist HB User
passing tissue and clots!!

i need some help. i have been bleeding heavily each period over the last year and a half. it started with a SEVERE period where i passed a polyp of 2 inches and lots of smaller clots and tissue. i have been checked and besides the blood being kind of dark, nothing seemed wrong to the doctor but i am still passing tissue and clots every period with severe cramping at times. and i mean A LOT!! like confetti. now my ferritin is low and i think i'm getting anemic and my thryroid is borderline and i'm cold all the time and i am having severe hair loss. i know it's just a period but this is ridiculous!! i bled through 7 pads in 9 hours and they said if it was 9 in 9 hours THEN i should go to the hospital so i never went. i just feel so depleted and the doctors look at me like they have NO Idea what to do with me. so i haven't gone back. is passing clots and tissue normal?? how many maxi pads is normal to go through in a period?

Old 12-01-2006, 12:42 AM   #2
(female)

princessloki HB User
Re: passing tissue and clots!!

NOT that many. Find another doctor. Get to a hospital. If it were once I would imagine your body was cleaning itself out from buildup (I pass tissue every few months as well) but that type of bleeding, especially if it's causing other problems, means that something more serious could be wrong. Get to a doctor, girl!

Lots of Luck and Best Wishes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2006, 06:28 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

moommin HB User

hi whats tissue

Old 12-01-2006, 07:13 AM   #4
(female)

princessloki HB User

A buildup of old blood cells...I think technically this isnt the name but it's the best way to describe it.

Old 12-02-2006, 01:31 PM   #5
(female)

noodles3 HB User

Try not to freak about this...it's scary. Get a new gyn and get an appointment. It is not uncommon to get a LOT of clotting as we get older. The first time I saw this I was on the phone to my gyn immediately. Eventually I got used to it...this happens to many women in perimenopause...I don't know how old you are or if you've had children but things change as we age and not always for the better. It could be something that is normal for you right now but it's wise to see the gyn. At any rate, the heavy bleeding can deplete your iron and your gyn might want to test your iron and ferritin (iron stores) so that you can be treated if need be. Try not to panic..I know I've been there and so have many friends of mine.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:50 PM   #6
(female)

debratheartist HB User

thanks, i have a pap set up for next month and my ferritin IS low (14, range is 10-300) and i'm taking iron (3 months now). i'm 40 and i have twins. everything went haywire after giving birth and each year it has gotten more complicated but i think between the bleeding, borderline hypothyroid, and iron i am needing someone willing to look at the whole picture--has anyone tried a naturopath?

Old 12-03-2006, 12:09 AM   #7
(female)

celebritycs* HB User

the tissue that passes during your period is the upper layer of the uterus that builds up each month to support a baby if you get pregnant. when you have your period, this tissue sloughs of along with the blood vessels that supply it. this is normal.
in your case, something is wrong. you are bleeding too much and your are anemic, probably severely which is why you are losing your hair and why you're cold.
it could be one of several things such as an ovarian cyst, fibroids, endometriosis, or maybe some damage from the pregnancy.
go see a gynocologist (and try to find a good one, some aren't). if he/she does not suggest it, make sure you request an ultrasound. ask for a transabdominal, pelvic and vaginal (they will know).
keep getting your iron count checked. eat foods that are high in iron and vitamin c (it helps the body absorb iron).
good luck (please dont let anyone tell you nothing is wrong)

Last edited by celebritycs*; 12-03-2006 at 12:11 AM.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:06 PM   #8
(female)

debratheartist HB User

thanks for the input so i know what to ask for when i go to my appt.
i just finished my period last week and i have not been able to maintain a normal body temp. it's been 96.1-97.2 i've been taking oral iron three months! and it seems like this continuous tone or ringing in my ear has to be connected some way. it's driving me mad! i have been feeling awful. i mean, this is period blood, not circulating body blood! how can i feel so bad?!!

and i JUST found out that my mother's side of the family has LOTS of hysterectomies, anemia, fibroids, and hemorraging. is this genetic?

Old 12-11-2006, 08:35 AM   #9
(female)

debratheartist HB User

last night i was taken by ambulance to the er. severe stabbing pain near right ovary seem to set off severe chattering and shaking, temp dropped LOW, and heart went funny and bp up to 158 over (?). definite shock type symptoms. ultrasound found a fibroid in my uterus. finally, a cause for all the clotting and tissue and severe bleeding?? they still don't know what caused the pain, it's still there but softer now. i finished my period last monday but the weakness, very cold, nausea, loss of appetite, dizziness continued after i stopped bleeding. i'm supposed to see a new primary on wed. this has been hell and i don't know what i need to ask for. . . . any ideas?

Closed Thread