It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2006, 04:59 AM   #1
(female)

lizf HB User
Change in menstrual cycle (37 yrs. old)

For the past year, I have started to bleed (dark) around the time I ovulate ... and then the following week I start my period and have terrible cramps and bleed A LOT.. So basically it feels like I have my period of 2 weeks of the month. I have seen my gyno and he said that everything is fine .. it's just my "advancing" age. That as you get older - your cycle with change. I have never had children and I was wondering if my dr. may be missing something and this could be more serious. Not to mention that my PMS symptoms are terrible (extremely sore breasts, bloating, moody, night sweats). Should I puruse this medically or is my dr. right in saying that it is normal to have a change like this as we age ... I had been on Birth Control pills for most of my formative years .. and have not taken them for 3 years now ...

Old 12-05-2006, 06:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: Change in menstrual cycle (37 yrs. old)

I have no idea if your doc is right about it being normal as women age, but who cares if it's "normal". You shouldn't have to put up with excessive bleeding and he should be trying to help you do something about it. What kind of options did he give you? I hope he didn't just tell you to accept it.
btw, and what kind of tests did he do to determine that you are fine?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2006, 07:26 AM   #3
(female)

lizf HB User

He did an internal and palpated by ovaries. He said that they were fine, no cysts or abnormal feeling ???

Old 12-05-2006, 09:51 AM   #4
(female)

Reyne HB User

lizf-
I have no answers but I can relate. I am 36yrs old been on BC pill for 20 yrs, no kids and PMS is terrible. I seem to only have 1 good week a month and that is that week after my period and then the cycle starts again. I usually have one sick day a month because of my period. When I was 32 I had my period for 6 months, they did all the tests..nada!!!

I talked to my Dr about just taking it all out...he said no. The Dr gave me water pills for bloating and pain killers for the cramps. I gain 7-10lbs in water weight which is gone after my period starts.

Every year when I go for my exam I ask him anything new out there yet?? My mom has bad period too so maybe that has something to do with it???

Closed Thread