It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2006, 09:33 PM   #1
(female)

nasty1ne HB User
Smile Recurring Bacterial Vaginosis

I have had recurring bacterial vaginosis (BV) for the whole year of 2006. It has been frustrating and devastating. My sex life with my boyfriend has really been affected by this problem. He is not able to cope with it and constantly accuses me of having sexual relations with other men. You really have to have a supportive and understanding partner. So, I've been dealing with this by myself.

I've gone to my gyn and he has prescribed to me Cleocin. I've taken Flagyl in the beginning but it made me nauseous and gave me an upset stomach. Those are common symptoms. Cleocin seems to make it go away, but then it comes back around the time that I'm on my period or right after. I have the gray-thin discharge, and burn or pain to urinate or the urgency to use the bathroom almost every hour. I've always preferred to take Cleocin each time.

I've talked with my gyn about this problem. We have discussed what contributes to the BV. There are so many factors. It can be related to stress, diet (eating unhealthy or eating too many sweets), hygiene, sexual practices (oral sex), the detergent used for washing clothes, wearing tight clothing, wearing cotton underwear, the soap used (I use Dove), birth control pills (I take Nortrel), your menustration, if your partner is being faithful (mine was cheating with other women), taking baths, etc. I have taken preventative measures, like cutting down on eating unhealthy foods and sweets. I try not to drink too much coffee. I've switched to only cotton underwear. I've switched my detergent to Dreft (gentle for babies). I've stopped taking the birth control pills and will notify my partner to use condoms. I don't take baths. I only drink water and cranberry juice. I don't have oral sex with my boyfriend. I can only attribute my problem to stress and menustration. Another thing that my gyn said was that the male sperm can trigger the change in the vaginal area and cause the overgrowth of the bad bacteria. It is as if your body is reacting to the "foreign visitor" in your vaginal area. Or probably, my body could be allergic or incompatible with the sperm of my boyfriend. Of course, this is all too disturbing to hear and hard to take because I've been with this same boyfriend for 9 years and didn't have this problem during the beginning years of the relationship.

I was told by my gyn that any change in your hormone levels is due to stress and your menustration, which can trigger the change in the pH balance of your vaginal area. I've tried to eliminate some stressors in my life and have taken the approach to stand up for myself or to tolerate things to the point that I won't let it get to me. In addition, I have 4 jobs on the side to pay for my mortgage and bills. And around your menustration, perhaps the sloughing is light that the bad bacteria takes over the good bacteria and then a woman develops BV. Perhaps it could be the hormone levels and it changes the pH levels that it changes the chemical makeup in the vaginal area triggering the overgrowth of the bad bacteria. So, my doctor has decided to put me on Cleocin a day or two before my period begins, then on my period, I will discontinue the cream. When my period is over, I will continue the rest of the cream until finished. This will hopefully cut down the count of the bad bacteria or control it as he puts it.

I've decided to take some extra steps by eating healthy, get more exercise, eliminate more stressors, try to relax more often, take multivitamins, take Echinacea to increase my immune system, use condoms, and also eat yogurt. By eating yogurt, this will populate your vaginal area with the increase the count of the good bacteria. I remember that I used to eat a lot of yogurt a couple of years ago and never had recurring BV. During those years when I ate yogurt, I only had it 1-3 times that year, which wasn't so bad.

I've posted this message for those who have this recurring problem to let them know they are not alone. This is a common problem for some women. Unfortunately, there is no miracle cure to take of it permanently. You can only take preventative measures. You can only try some methods that other women have posted and hopefully, it helps. I hope this sheds some light.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nasty1ne For This Useful Post:
859006057 (05-30-2012), denise215 (09-09-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2006, 02:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User
Re: Recurring Bacterial Vaginosis

Hey, I have this too. Had it on and off for some years now. My doctor says its a hygine factor on the males side. When my husband showers first it does not happen. Antibotic's cleared mine up in two to three days. Have not had a it re appear in some time. Hope this helps.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:01 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

candice12 HB User

I have had this even before I started having sex. My ob says that more than 1/2 of women have this and she said it could be for no reason at all beside it's just "your Body" getting the infection. I don't know... its not like an STD though. I asked her that first thing! because I just about had a heart attack that she said I had this. I freaked and read all about it online. So tell your bf to get a clue... and read up on it! Hope this helps!

Old 12-21-2006, 12:03 PM   #4
(female)

tmomma80 HB User

I've had problems with vaginosis in the past. You and your partner should be very clean. Make him take and bath and wash his hand before touching you down there and you should do the same...Also is he circumsized? That may play a big part in it. I had a bf once and because he was uncircumsized I kept having problems....I hope this helps.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:53 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

candice12 HB User

Oh yes... washing hands and body are a SUPER #1 factor! Esp if you get this reoccuringly!!! I make sure my hubby does before we do anything as well!!!

Old 12-21-2006, 01:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Eating yogurt daily is the way to go. I got vaginosis everytime that I was pregnant because of the fluctuation in hormones. It was fine as long as I ate the yogurt.

Old 12-23-2006, 04:53 PM   #7
(female)

nasty1ne HB User

Thanks for the suggestions ladies. I think with taking the antibiotics, it will wipe it out but for only that time. Then, it will reappear especially around the time of my period.

Sannah, I think it does have to do with the fluctuation with hormones especially when a woman is pregnant or having her menustration, and perhaps it could be stress-related. Once a person is stressed out it affects the whole body and possibly making their immune system weak to the point that it will make them susceptible to infections (yeast and/or bacterial vaginosis).

I'll try eating yogurt, because that would be the only way to populate the good bacteria down there and restore my pH balance. I remember that I used to eat yogurt and I didn't have vaginosis frequent.

Thanks

Old 01-06-2007, 10:25 PM   #8
(female)

Seabreezerain HB User

I know where you are comming from with BV's. They are horrible. The dove soap unscented even gave them to me I switched to pine tar soap and only wash my vaginal area with warm water. Which is what my gyno said to try. Also recently I came across a wonder product called rePHresh that actually helps to balance your ph and keep it normal and it works! its totally safe to use all the time and you use it every three days.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:39 PM   #9
(female)

mackgirl HB User

I had reurring bv for a while , years ago, until I realized the source. Everytime I would shave my legs I would sit at the edge of the tub without putting a towel under me. my gyno told me everything your gyno told you, but I still kept getting them. think of something that you do constantly, change it and see if it works.Some people have sensitive skin, don't use anything that has fragrance in it , that was the other thing I can only use dove,and it's really important to use a wet nap when you go #2, and pee after sex. But something is definently screwing up your ph balance.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:10 AM   #10
(female)

jaylynnstarr HB User
Smile Re: Recurring Bacterial Vaginosis

Ladies I sympathaze with you COMPLETELY as I had to deal with this monster for the past five years. THERE IS HOPE!!!! After trying everything on the market and every perscription available-I finally discovered that it is store bought cheap LATEX CONDOMS ie-Trojan, Lifestyles, roughryder etc (especially the spermacide ones) that are the culprit. Believe me when I tell you that the chemicals from these condoms are very detremental to your vaginas delicate PH balance. There are alternatives for BV free safe sex. Trust me-it took me five years to finally figure it out. For condom alternatives you can use Durex AVANTI non latex polyurethane condoms available at any pharmacy-very expensive apx $18 for 5 condoms but well worth it. Also, there is a sherlon latex condom that is manufactured in Japan by the name of CROWN. This condom is processed chemically different than regular latex condoms and has never given me a problem. They are also the strongest condom on the market but pricey as well-apx $20 CDN for a pkg of 12. Again well worth it. The Condom shack in Toronto Canada will mail you these two types of condoms with a credit card. I have been BV free for six months and always have protected sex with these brands that I mentioned above. My advice is get treated properly with FLagyl PILLS OR 10DAY ovules or ClindAMYCIN ETC. DO THE FULL TEATMENT AND DO NOT HAVE SEX UNTIL IT IS COMPLETED then always use either non latex condoms or Crown condoms. If you're in a monogamous relationship then definately always wash your hands and body before and after sex and you will be BV free!!! Best of luck!!!

Old 01-13-2007, 09:36 AM   #11
(female)

gagirl30 HB User

I have dealt with BV for many many years now. It never mattered what I took or what I done on my own to prevent it, it always come back. I've always ate yogurt daily. I continue to eat it daily. A hydrogen perioxide works miracles. I haven't had any problems in a while. Try it! It can't hurt. Just mix it with water and use as a douche. I do it often. Hope it helps.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:51 PM   #12
(female)

nasty1ne HB User

Well, the last time I had BV was in Nov 06. I started eating Yoplait yogurt in Dec 06. I had an appointment w/ my gyn on 3/12/07. I tested negative for BV. Imagine it has been . . . . . .3 months. Yipppeeeee!!!!!

Now, I just need to get rid of this rare yeast infection. UGH!

Old 03-29-2007, 05:04 PM   #13
(female)

renae123 HB User

Hello ladies! I recently had my first "case" of BV and let me just say *yuck!* Ok, a womans worst nightmare is to have a foul smell rising out of her vagina, right!?! The post on a "hydrogen peroxide douche" was interesting to me as I prefer to help my body to help itself so to speak. Living on cranberry juice (un-sweetened, ewe!) and yogurt, I can almost see all those good little bacteria smiling! I would be very interested in any other home-remedies that have worked for all you beautiful woman out there...one of my favs is a clove of garlic, thats right girls, put in right in there, no worries, what goes in must come out!

Old 03-29-2007, 08:23 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

I can't use condoms as they are the very thing that causes yeast infections for me. I am allergic to all flavors, kinds and brands. I swell up and have great pain if I try and use them.

Yogurt is for yeast infections it won't do anything for BV.

Jenteal

Last edited by Jenteal; 03-29-2007 at 08:25 PM.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:08 AM   #15
(female)

frankiesmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by renae123 View Post
...one of my favs is a clove of garlic, thats right girls, put in right in there, no worries, what goes in must come out!
You're kidding right? Gimme details.

Closed Thread