It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2006, 08:06 AM   #1

betty2002 HB User
Bowel changes and menstrual cycle

I am 36 years old with a brother who was diagnosed with rectal cancer at age 37. I have had changes in bowel habits over the last year...but they come and go, and seem in some ways related to my menstrual cycle (i.e., constipation at time of period, extremely soft stools until ovulation, some normalcy for a few days, etc.). I have found plenty of research saying bowel habits can change in relation to the menstrual cycle for IBS...but nothing that addresses this related to colon cancer. Anyone know about this? I have a doctor's appointment in a few days, but am looking for as much information ahead of time, so I no what questions to ask. Thanks!

Old 12-16-2006, 06:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User
Re: Bowel changes and menstrual cycle

Since your brother was diagnosed, with rectal cancer, you should get a colonoscopy, no matter what. After my diagnosis, in my early 30s, that was the first thing my doctors told me, to tell my siblings, irregardless of age or lack of symptoms, to get checked. That said, due to my radiation, I went into menopause early. Prior to that, I did notice that my menstrual cycle had an effect on my digestive cycle. I had looser stools, while menstruating. Nevertheless, please get a colonoscopy. I was fortunate to see some of the best doctors, in the country, and family testing was the biggest thing that they stressed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2006, 09:20 AM   #3
(female)

strong_one HB User
Re: Bowel changes and menstrual cycle

I had the same thing. My mother passed away at 78 with Colon Cancer and it spread quite fast. Everytime I have the weird bowel movements is around that time. My situation is like yours.

I'm going to see my doctor tomorrow as my bowel movements have been a bit strange lately. I have had thin stools the past few weeks and am getting quite concerned. I will have normal bowels then the ribbon like ones. Colors are not black or anything but normal to green depending if I took my vitamins that day.

I am going to TRY and get them to give me a colonoscopy. Last time I requested one my doctor wrote up the order but my insurance denied it. My doctor doesn't know that but this time I'm going to insist and raise %(#*#.

Get a colonoscopy. BTW, I'm 39.

Last edited by strong_one; 12-17-2006 at 01:51 PM.

Closed Thread