It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007, 08:26 PM   #1
(female)

Beth Ann HB User
Arrow question about mammograms (w/implants)

Hi,

I asked this on the cosmetic surgery board yesterday, but haven't gotten a response yet. Hope it's okay to post the same question here. I have implants under the muscle, and need to get a mammogram. I'm scared. Have any of you (with implants) had one? I had a mammogram years ago, before I had cosmetic surgery, so I know how much pressure is added....and that just terrifies me. I've been putting off getting this done for over a year, and I know that "it's time". Also, something in one breast "just doesn't feel right". Hard to explain, it's just different than ever before, but I don't feel any lumps. If there's something wrong, will it show up on a mammogram? Thanks in advance,

Beth Ann

Old 01-05-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User
Re: question about mammograms (w/implants)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Ann
Hi,

I asked this on the cosmetic surgery board yesterday, but haven't gotten a response yet. Hope it's okay to post the same question here. I have implants under the muscle, and need to get a mammogram. I'm scared. Have any of you (with implants) had one? I had a mammogram years ago, before I had cosmetic surgery, so I know how much pressure is added....and that just terrifies me. I've been putting off getting this done for over a year, and I know that "it's time". Also, something in one breast "just doesn't feel right". Hard to explain, it's just different than ever before, but I don't feel any lumps. If there's something wrong, will it show up on a mammogram? Thanks in advance,

Beth Ann
the technician pushes the implants up & out of the way as far as possible then does the mammo on what tissue remains. No; I've never had a mammogram. I have implants and will never have one.
I'm not sure what you mean by something wrong showing up. If you mean will a lump show up on a mammogram the answer is most likely, depending on its size. There ARE little lumps that SOMETIMES don't show up due to breast density and maybe other technical issues.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2007, 03:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

Hi BethAnn,

I have implants and have had to have them replaced becfause of a rupture, went thru a lot of misery because of the silicone everywhere, had to scrape tissue out to get the silicone. I do not have silicone anymore, but they can still rupture and I will not ever have a mammogram again, I now have sonograms, in realty, I think they are better.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

the sonograms may very well be better but the industry wants the mammogram machines paid for and you can't do that if we turn to sonograms.
It's all about the money. Ya think they don't care if mammograms are done using radiation to our chests? Think not?
They will use their mammogram machines until they all fall apart and have to be junked in a mammo-cemetery.

Closed Thread