It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2007, 10:49 PM   #1
(female)

PilatesnDressag HB User
Question Vaginal irritation during periods

Hey all,

I am perplexed by a recent problem I've been having. I have a history of vaginal irritation (mainly from yeast), but nothing as severe as I've had for the past three months during my period. I was checked out by several CNP's at different Planned Parenthood locations, but they could not tell me why I get this burning sensation during my period. Today was the absolute WORST. It felt like straight hydrochloric acid was dripping out of my vagina. I'm racking my brains trying to figure out WHY I'm having this problem. STD's are not an issue--I'm in a monogamous relationship with a wonderful man, so no worries there. My last exam less than a week ago showed a healthy/acceptable amount of yeast and plenty of lactobacilli. She did note that my cervix looked red. I'm going to schedule an appointment with a gyno tomorrow. I'm thinking if she can't find an explanation or treatment for this, I'll have to have her prescribe BCP's so that I won't have to go through the pain every month. I was adamently against them, but I don't know what else to do at this point.
Has anyone been through this before? Any advice?

Old 01-12-2007, 03:49 PM   #2
(female)

april56 HB User
Re: Vaginal irritation during periods

I started getting this recenty and I've been on BC for maybe 2 years. I want it to go away. I made a post in another thread about it, but no reply. I've noticed, though, that since I've been on BC, I have far less discharge during the month, so maybe the area just gets dry?

Maybe it's dermatological. I have sensative skin as it is. After several courses of anti biotic and a yeast infection treatment, it still comes back with my period.

I'm finally going to the gyn, I hope someone can figure this out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2007, 05:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User
Re: Vaginal irritation during periods

I don't know about the burning during your period, but if you already have a problem with yeast, birth control pills make it worse because they tend to dry out the vaginal discharge.

The approach to take with the yeast is a preventive one. Even if you have a healthy amount of lactobacilli, a little more will not hurt you. I started getting yeast infections on the pill and really extreme ones after stopping the pill and I started taking AZO yeast pills daily. You buy these in the drugstore near the OTC yeast treatments. They contain a species of lactobacilli...since taking them, I've had zero yeast infections, and it's been about 5 months now.

Closed Thread