It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
(female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User
What exactly is a heavy period?

Would you think this would be a heavy period? My hubby says, Yes, definitely...but I'm thinking this is just normal. Sorry if this is too much info, but I'm confused.

Day 1 - light, medium flow
Day 2 - changing SUPER tampons every hour for most of the day or SUPER PLUS tampons 1-1.5 hours. By the end of the day, I can probably go every 1.5 hours without changing a SUPER. I use a backup pad because I will start leaking after an hour or so if I don't get to a bathroom. have to stick by a bathroom most of day. some flooding. several small clots. Get up to change pad during night several times. An accident every so often.
Day 3 - changing SUPER tampons every 2 hours. back up pad. definitely can't be without a bathroom for more than 2-3 hours. some flooding. several small clots. get up to change pad during night once, twice.
Day 4 - medium flow, regular tampon
Day 5 - medium flow, regular tampon...getting lighter towards end of day
Day 6 - light flow
Day 7 - light flow
Day 8 - small amount of brown (old) blood
I'm done for the month!!!

I was anemic, and now just have low iron. Doctors keep asking me if I have a heavy period and I say always say yes, but I'm not really sure. As only 2 days of my period are extremely heavy.

Am I pretty much normal? I'm 32 years old...2 kids.

Last edited by littlebunnyfoo; 01-17-2007 at 10:02 AM.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
(female)

luvmy2kids HB User
Re: What exactly is a heavy period?

I think that definitely qualifies as a heavy period. That's crazy that you have to get up several times to change your pad at night? Do you wear a tampon to bed?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
(female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy2kids View Post
I think that definitely qualifies as a heavy period. That's crazy that you have to get up several times to change your pad at night? Do you wear a tampon to bed?
No, I wear an overnight pad. I figure I've been wearing tampons all day and that my body needs a break. Thanks for your input. I know that some people only have 3 day periods - wouldn't that be great!!

Old 01-17-2007, 03:18 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I would call that a heavy period as well. Have you tried using two tampons at a time? I used to do that (yes, supers, two at a time.).

Last edited by Titchou; 01-17-2007 at 03:18 PM.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:50 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

BluEyez1031 HB User

Wow, that sounds extremely heavy!

Old 01-18-2007, 08:10 AM   #6
(female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

So, I take it from your responses that most women do not go through this every month. That is good to know! Thank you so much.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:44 AM   #7
(female)

smallgingerone HB User

I would say that is a heavy period - I used to have ones very similar except the heavy flow went on for longer - even more fun! My doctor used to tell me that if i was going through a super plus tampon in an hour it was heavy.

With a flow like that every month you are probably verging on, if not actually, anemic. A lack of iron can cause periods to be heavier and to go on for longer (I don't know the exact science behind it). I would recommend you taking an iron supplement if you don't already do so, this will help treat any anemia and help prevent it from occuring by lightening the flow of your period slightly.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:50 AM   #8
(female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

smallgingerone - were you anemic because of your heavy periods?

I am on an iron supplement once per day. I was anemic this summer. Blood counts are good now, but I am still low on iron which means I could dip down to anemia soon.

Thanks so much for your input.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:44 AM   #9
(female)

smallgingerone HB User

Littlebunnyfoo

I was anemic due to my periods yes. Part of the problem was that I didnt eat a lot of meat so was getting very little iron in my diet as well.

Having now come off the pill and having an IUD I have started on the iron again to try and prevent dipping in to anemia.

Keep up the iron supplements!

PS I now have the song in my head thanks to your name!

Old 01-19-2007, 08:50 AM   #10
(female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallgingerone View Post

PS I now have the song in my head thanks to your name!
LOL!! Sorry!

Old 01-26-2007, 03:21 PM   #11
(female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

I've read that being anemic can actually make you bleed more during your period. A vicious cycle I guess.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:39 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User

Your periods sound identical to the way mine were. I just had a hysterectomy 11 days ago. Turned out I had a huge baseball size fibroid and many others; polyps; and endometriosis.

I held out for as long as I could but am glad I made the decision to end my monthly madness.

Have you had an ultrasound to see why you bleed so heavily? You could have some of the same problems I had..not saying you need a hysterectomy, but definitely look into why you're bleeding so heavy. Perhaps you could have an ablation and that might help.

Last edited by sunnydaze1; 01-26-2007 at 07:40 PM.

Old 01-27-2007, 12:38 AM   #13
(female)

Karlee HB User

You just described my period flow exactly. I have fibroids though and that's why mine are so heavy. You should get an ultrasound to check for fibroids, polyps, etc. It could also be due to an hormone imbalance.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:39 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

I think you should get a vaginal ultrasound to rule out fibroids, polyps or cysts. All three of those could cause majorly heavy bleeding if you have them. They need to be removed and then your periods should be less heavy than they are.

Get an ultrasound and find out what's going on. It's the only way you'll be able to have your periods be lighter.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:34 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

cindy4hope HB User

Sounds exactlly like my periods, I had thought about having an ablation which would either stop my period all together or at least slow it way down.
how old are you, I'm 43. I always have to get up at night a couple of times usually to change my tampon and pad during my period. It drives me crazy. hope you find a solution.

cindy4hope

Closed Thread