It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2007, 08:20 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User
Rectal bleeding while menstruating. Is this a symptom of Endo?

My OB-GYN thinks I might have endometriosis. I do have irregular bowel movements during the month, kind of rotating between diarrhea, constipation, flat stools, normal stools. But no blood. But during my period I have rectal bleeding as well as blood in my stools. My GYN said this is not a symptom of endo, but nonetheless does not seem concerned, which really irritates me!

Is it normal to bleed rectally with endometriosis during menstruation? Does this happen to others?

Old 01-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #2
(female)

courtney1111 HB User
Re: Rectal bleeding while menstruating. Is this a symptom of Endo?

Sounds like hemmroids to me. Maybe you should see your GP

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User

Hemmeroids bleed during menstruation? I never notice the blood at other times. It's not just during a BM.

My GP said there was nothing wrong with me when I went to her about my pain initially. I went and saw another and he told me I was fine and to go home and enjoy my life and play with my kids. They ignored my pain completely. At least the OB-GYN said it MIGHT be endo and put me on the pill.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

It could be anal fissures as well. My husband has those, and you might notice it bleeding more at menstruation due to hormonal fluctuation. I have noticed in my cycle that there are times when I'm much more likely to be constipated (after ovulation to the beginning of my period). You can try taking magnesium when you're constipated--250-400 mg. daily. It may help with hard BMs...if you take too much magnesium though, it will have a laxative effect, so don't do that. As far as the anal fissures go, there's not much you can do other than exercise, drink plenty of water, and eat enough fiber.

You might need to see a colorectal doc for the rectal bleeding...I don't think that is associated with endo.

Last edited by livinTX; 01-18-2007 at 12:58 PM.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
(female)

saint90ms HB User

I agree it could be hemroids. The same thing happened to me many times throughout my years with severe endometriosis. My doctor did order a colonoscopy to be on the safe side. Never take a chance and just guess. If this has happened more than once, your doctor should rule out anything having to do with the colon, etc. Luckily mine came back fine. It was from the hemmroids.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:35 PM   #6
(female)

anxiousgrl HB User

Actually, I have recently been having the same thing. While researching endo (for my own reasons), rectal bleeding during menstruation is associated with Endo...

I would seek a second opinion..

Old 01-18-2007, 06:33 PM   #7
(female)

aldie HB User

Yes,it has happened to me and I haven't had it checked out yet.I am wondering if it is a symptom of cancer.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:55 PM   #8
(female)

anxiousagain HB Useranxiousagain HB User

I've noticed this problem on and off for years. I had a colonoscopy and a fecal occult blood test several years back for other reasons and nothing showed up. So, I don't think it's anything to worry about. It could be endo, but I've read that if endo impacts the bowel enough for you to bleed from it, you're in MAJOR pain. I don't experience any pain, so I'm at a loss. I do have hemmrhoids, but the ONLY time I see blood is at the beginning of my period. Unless it's showing up frequently, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:49 AM   #9
(female)

luvmy2kids HB User

Endometriosis cannot be truly diagnosed except unless a hysteroscopy is done. I agree with a pp that rectal bleeding due to endo would cause extreme pain. I would get a second opinion about the bleeding and the endo.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:12 AM   #10
(female)

anxiousgrl HB User

I have to chime in again about rectal bleeding in the setting of Endo:

The level of pain one experiences is not correlated with the severity (or particular symptoms) of their Endo. There could be little to no pain or severe pain... everyone is different. Rectal bleeding is known to occur in up to something like 30% of cases, despite presence or lack of pain. Endo is difficult to diagnose off of symptoms alone. The above poster is correct, a laparoscopy (diagnosis via small telescope) is required to confirm Endo.

Regardless, if you feel that your rectal bleeding could be associated with Endo, certainly pursue this concern with your own Dr. or seek a second opinion. I am going through the exact same thing...

Best of luck to you!!

Old 01-19-2007, 01:37 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User

I've e-mailed two OB-GYN's about it (one is the doctor I saw, one my regular GYN who is a NP), and they both said that rectal bleeding from endo is VERY rare. However when I do searches on the internet about it, it comes up as a symptom on a lot of sites. So, what do the doctors know?!
Anxiousgrl -- what are your endo symptoms? Have you received a definate diagnosis? My OB-GYN says they don't do lap for endo diagnosis anymore, they just put you on the pill, and if it helps, it's probably endo. I know this isn't true, it's just true of my horrible HMO.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:56 PM   #12
(female)

anxiousgrl HB User

No I have not received the definite diagnosis either.

I have premenstrual spotting (which was dismissed as a common hormonal disturbance), horrible cramps (told this was common too), cramping after bowel movements and orgasms, painful intercourse, and finally, the good ol' rectal bleeding during menstruation. The fun!!

I am seeking other opinions as well... Of course I have read about symptoms on the internet like you, and found that all of my symptoms have been associated with Endo (as I suspected) regardless of what doctors have said.

Hang in there!

Old 03-12-2007, 01:10 PM   #13
(female)

anxiousagain HB Useranxiousagain HB User

Any updates on this topic. Have any of you received a definitive diagnosis yet? Or, reassurance from you doctor that it's normal/insignificant?

Closed Thread