It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2007, 03:46 AM   #1
(female)

stimpymom HB User
Post Op Rectocele Repair/ Urethral Sling

Hi,
I am a new member. I had rectocele repair ( not mesh) and urethral sling procedure 10 days ago. Due to HMO Ins coverage, I had to fly cross country to have the procedure and am now back. My GYN surgeon was out of town post op, and I had an exam one week after surgery , before leaving the area, with a different doctor. The exam was painful , he was pretty quick with answers ,and left me feeling scared and with more questions than ever. He made a comment that the incision was very tight and that maybe in a month or two I could attempt to put a tampax in? Wow! That scares me about future sexual function. Is it normal to feel exhausted almost all the time at this point. How long do most women bleed post op? I am feeling abit isolated and would love to hear from some other women who have had experience with this procedure. Thanks

Old 02-03-2007, 01:45 PM   #2
(female)

thisismytime HB User
Re: Post Op Rectocele Repair/ Urethral Sling

Hello, I had the same surgery 12/28/2006. I am just over 5 weeks post op. I had bleeding for about 2 - 2 1/2 wks. If you type in sex after rectocele you will find an very extensive board under this topic.

There are a lot of women on that one with all kinds of experiences. I myself have had very little problems. The one thing that I did was for the first 7 days kept ice packs on both sites pretty much around the clock. It really helped minimize the swelling and brusing. I really did not need any pain medication after about day 4.

I went back to work after the 3rd week. As far as having sex I have not gotten to that point yet. The Dr. said nothing for at least 6 weeks. I go back for my 6 week check up on 2/8. He did say that it could take up to 12 weeks for the stitches to all come out but from what I can tell, mine are all pretty much out.

Up until last weekend I had one stitch that was really pulling and would have some real discomfort from time to time expecially when trying to wipe. One other thing I have done from the beginning is used warm water and a squirt bottle after using the restroom so I really didn't have to wipe per say just dry off and that has really helped that stitch that was pulling. About Monday this week. Jan 29 I noticed that stitch wasn't pulling any more. I still have a few evening after work that I am more tired that others but those are getting to be fewer and fewer.

I would say all in all I am doing very well for 5 wks post op. I will admit I am a little anxious about the first time after. But just figure we will take it very slow and make sure there is a lot of lubrication.

If you have any other question I would be glad to try and answer them to the best of my experience. I have had a wonderful Dr. that has taken the time to answer any and all of my questions.

Good LucK

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2007, 02:39 PM   #3
(female)

stimpymom HB User

Thisismytime:
A million thank you's for responding. You made my day! I have been feeling so scared and isolated. Due to me traveling cross country for the surgery, I had limited time with the surgeon prior to surgery, and was pretty drugged up after. I was clueless as to how rotten I would feel,the possibility of sexual problems, and scared by what I was reading post operatively.( I am glad your experience has been ok - that is promising.) Today is a little better. I am very fatigued, but not in so much discomfort today...just lots of pressure. I think I can feel a stitch towards the exterior of my vagina - is that pretty normal? I thought the incision would be up higher. Thank you for all of your info. I hope your post op goes well and when the right time comes for intercourse - good luck with that too.Thanks again

Last edited by moderator2; 02-03-2007 at 06:32 PM.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:41 PM   #4
(female)

thisismytime HB User

Stimpymom
From what I can feel my incesion is just right of bottom center and went pretty much from the opening of the vagina to the back. I could see a couple of stitches near the opening.

I too could feel a couple of mine up to about a week ago. Every now and then if I sat down too hard or sat up straight for too long it felt like one was poking me. I also had problems with a couple of the internal ones pulling. Especially at the opening of the vagania. That too finally stopped last week.
From what I can feel, it feels like all of the stitches in the vagina have come out. They just kind of dissolved. I only ever saw 2 actually come out.

It was about 2 weeks before I didn't feel tired and sleep off and on all day. I tried not to nap too often or then I couldn't sleep at night. The fatigue will begin to pass. I would go outside and do a couple of laps around our drive way 2 - 3 times a day, that is until the ice storm hit and then I would walk up and down the hall way and around the kitchen. I really think that helped me regain some strenght. Just take it slow. I would walk and then rest for a couple of hours.

Hang in there, every day you will discover something hurts less and you are feeling stronger.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:07 AM   #5
(female)

stimpymom HB User

Thisismytime,
Thanks for staying in touch. I appreciate the info and encouraging comments. Today is two weeks from surgery and, just like you state, I think I am beginning to feel a little better. I did call my doctors office and spoke with the nurse yesterday. She told me that my hemaglobin went from 14 pre op to 10 something after, and that might be adding to the wiped out feeling. She suggested an iron supplement(along with a stool softener). I actually am starting to feel stronger and the pressure /swelling when I sit up is not so intense anymore. Other questions/issues about bleeding, discharge, changes in urination - she assured me were within normal limits given the procedures and time. All this is just a slower process than I had expected. You are correct - everyday will get better. I think all of the travel and stress has probably not made the recovery any easier either. I have to fly back up North next week for a couple of days. (long icky life changes going on ) I did get permission to go from the doctor, but Im going to have some help so I am not flying and then doing hours of driving alone. I am only taking Tylenol or Advil now, so that should decrease the fatigue too. I am trying to do the walking stuff also . I heard those ice storms were awful, hopefully your weather is back on track .
These boards are wonderful. I hope all goes well at the post op exam.
Good luck.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:09 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

lala-whatsnext HB User

excuse me, may I butt in here? No pun intended. This is where I'd laught 'cept I don't feel much like laughing about this.

I was just reading up on this and found this thread. I wondered how you find a doctor that you know is good. I've read so many horror stories about this surgery I am thinking .......no way! But then I am dealing with symptoms that I know will get worse as I age. I am 52 and not handling this well at all. First my regular gyn doc (female) did a quick exam and said no, that I didn't have a rectocele. I know I do....I have all the symptoms. I went to a female gastroe doctor for my colonoscopy and she gave me a script for something to make it easier to go to the bathroom but that doesn't help the pressure feeling I have down there or the pressure it puts on the vaginal area...it makes it sore and that screws (sorry for the pun again) up the sex life, if you know what I mean.

I guess my main question is how do you find a doctor for this type of surgery? And how did your doctor diagnose you? Was it through a physical exam or that defegram? (sp?)

thanks for any info you can provide.

la-la

Old 02-10-2007, 10:30 AM   #7
(female)

stimpymom HB User

la-la,
I was diagnosed thru a vaginal / rectal exam. No other testing was needed. Two doctors said they could feel it internally when I was asked to "bear down".
As far as finding a good doctor, ask around. Find someone in the medical field to ask. Make sure they specialize in this type of surgery. Check for being board sertified, ect... I hope you get some answers. Two plus weeks after surgery, I am beginning to feel better. The issue of not being able to have a "normal BM" is totally gone.
Good Luck

Old 02-10-2007, 03:14 PM   #8
(female)

thisismytime HB User

Lala

Mine was very obvious externally, I just never new what it was, since it was so open down there that may be why I never really had any pain or pressure and no issues with sex. I have a wonderful husband that never complains.I finally got to the point that I could not have a BM without splinting (holding the bulge in) if I didn't it would extend a good 2 inches down.

So when I went in to my Physican Assistant for my annual I asked her if there was something I could do. She referred to a womens health group. You might check with one on your area and see if they have a GYN that specializes in this field.

I also had the uretha splint, TVT done and I am loving every minute. I can sneeze and not have to worry about crossing my leggs.

I just had my 6 week check up and have been cleared to return to the gym. I can do cardio and strength training only for the upper body. He (DR) does not want me to do any thing that would put pressure down there. You don't realize how often you actually use those muscles. 2 wks post op my husband got me laughing. WOW did that hurt. I never would have imagined. He also told me not to pick up anything heavier then 10 lbs until my next yearly in Aug. He stated that with the surgery because of the extend of my repair to the vaginal muscle it would be a 6 mo. healing to make sure everything was completely healed. He did however clear me to return to normal sexual activities. I think I am more excited about that but also a little scared. I tested it this afternoon while my husband was at work with the vibrator I have. It feels much tighter and was a little tender but not too bad. Dr. said to take it slow, lots of foreplay and lots of lube. So that is what we will do. Just in time for Valentines day.

Please don't put if off too long. Not knowing what mine was and not doing anything got me to where I was. It was a grade 3 and that was why I was having issues with BM.

Also if you have any question I can answer please don't hesitate. I went in to this not knowing much but having a wonderful Dr. that was always more than willing to answer question and has the attitude that women shouldn't have to suffer or settle for anything. Anything this group can do to help they will.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:20 PM   #9
(female)

thisismytime HB User

Stimpymom,
I am glad to hear you are feeling better. Each day will make a difference, and take it easy on that trip. You might try taking something soft to sit on.

One thing, watch the iron, it can have a tendency to make you constipated and that is the last thing you want. I really found the stool softeners didn't help me much. So from the begining I have been eating prunes. Good thing I like them.

I did happen to get slightly constipated about the 3rd week and I cried it hurt so bad, and it caused some extra bleeding as it stretched the stitches a little, did not pop anything thankgoodness. that is how I got into this mess to beging with after my second one was born.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:03 AM   #10
(female)

stimpymom HB User

Thisismytime,
Congrats on the good post op exam. It sounds as if all is going well. If you are restricted to lifting no more than 10 lbs., how can you do upper body strength trainng? I would love to be doing something...anything! It would certainly help mental health, not to mention muscle tone.
Just to add insult to injury, I got my period a few days ago. I am 50 and on HRT, but still get periods - just not regularly. I am up walking every day, but am still most comfortable in the horizontal position after being up for a few hours. ( pressure/ gravity?)
My trip was cancelled at the last minute ( nasty legal games going on) so even though I am stuck with a non refundable ticket, I do not have to do the trip for awhile.
Good luck with "Valentines Day activities". Sex is a long way off for me , but of course, it worries me really alot. I had the same type of problems having a bowel movement that you did, but no sexual issues. I would really, really, hope that it doesnt become a long term problem. I think I will wait longer than the one month they told me before discharging me after surgery. Let me know how all goes for you, and perhaps I will just follow your lead. (Wow, what a copy cat) I really appreciate all of your input - you have been a huge help.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:20 PM   #11
(female)

thisismytime HB User

Stimpymom,

Wow, what a double whammy, I thankfully do not have that problem. I had a complete hysto at 39. I will be 50 in April.

I actually am in a Lifetime fitness class at the Jr. college near where I work, trying to get my Graphic Design degree. And at age 50 need 3 PE credits. They have the equipment for strenght training so it is not actually weights. More like butterflies and such. Dr. just doesn't want any pressure on the muscles from the abs down. So sitting and doing upper body won't hurt anything and I feel so much better when I am working out. I know it will help me get my strength back quicker.

I also was the same with being up for a while and then having to lie down up until about week 4, and then all of a sudden I think the stitches started loosening up and alot of the discomfort started to ease up. Hang in there it will get easier.

I am sorry for the delay in your flight but glad to hear you won't have to make that trip until later post op.

I would give it aleast a good six weeks before even thinking about sexual activities. I still had stitches in through week 5. Even though I could feel that it was healed. I am courious by nature so I have been checking everything out in there from about week 2. At week five I could still feel a few stitches but they were lose and soft it wasn't until Monday last week that I couldn't feel anything at all inside.

Keep me posted on how you are doing and if you have any questions just let me know.

Here's to a great week.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:14 AM   #12
(female)

stimpymom HB User

thisismytime,
Hi! Wondering how you are and how was Valentine's Day. Not meaning to be too personal , but were you able to have intercourse? I hope so , and hope it went well. These boards are incredible - where else could you have this type of conversation with someone you have never met! I have another question-
Did you have any odor with vaginal bleeding and discharge? My bleeding has pretty much stopped, just a pink tinged discharge, but there is an odor that is still there. Not awful, but definitely not the norm. Any experience with that?

Old 02-19-2007, 07:55 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

lala-whatsnext HB User

oh I do have many questions to ask. Please come back next week or sometime. I just found this post, I forgot I made. Usually I find them when they are very old so no one answers. I guess I was surprised to see someone answer me.
Its late and I am very tired. I'll come back tomorrow and think of all I want to ask you ladies.
thanks so much,

Old 02-20-2007, 02:10 AM   #14
(female)

stimpymom HB User

lala,
I am leaving town this morning for about 5 days. I will have limited access to the Internet. I will get online next week, check for any notes and respond...
Have you found a doctor yet?

Old 02-20-2007, 08:58 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

lala-whatsnext HB User

Stimpymom, I'll await your return and look forward to hearing how you are doing. I'll post some questions for you and Thisismytime to work on. lol

Ok here we go with my story, then I'll have some questions.

But first...THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE to both of you.

I've had trouble for years with mild constipation. In looking back I see that it stemmed from this problem. I always knew in the back of my mind that something wasn't right. Trying to find the right position to "go" just didn't seem right. Then because of a failed surgery (different part of body) I had to take opiate pain relievers for more than a year. I went off that because it just got to the point that I couldn't go at all. I was still in the dark about what was causing this,,,,,never heard of a rectocele before. After going off the drugs I had diarhea for a long time, also going through menopause at the same time so i was losing my hormones. (they say that makes it worse too)
Anyway when my bowel movements started getting back to normal I started having problems going again. I would go to the bathroom 10 times in an hour and could only go a tiny bit, or none at all. I'd stand up and go back to whatever, only to end up in there five minutes later. Once after trying to go I got in the shower. When I was washing I felt a lump beside my vaginal opening and I knew then that something was really wrong. I got online and typed in my symptoms. Thats when I first heard or read the word RECTOCELE. I didn't want to believe it.

Symptoms......
not being able to go completely or trouble going at all.

pressure on the vaginal opening while trying to go, so much that if feels like it is stretching the tissue down there. This makes it sore, thus painful sex.

GERD from being full all the time.

I went to my woman doctor one day when it was really bad. I told her what I suspected. She did a very quick exam and said no, you just have a mild prolapse and an infection. She diagnosed me with infect nearly every time I went to see her, even though I had no symptoms like discharge, smell etc. I later found out I didn't ever have an infection. Anyway she said since I was over 50 I need to get a colonoscopy just to be safe. So I found a female gastro doctor and told her what I suspected and why I was there. She said, lets start with the scope but in the mean time she gave me a script for zelnorm. It helped. The scope turned out good, no problem there. She later told me she prescripes zelnorm for many women with rectocele. So I thought I'd live with it. But now it seems worse.

questions.
Did you have painful sex before surgery?
If yes, what kind of pain was it? The reason I ask this is because mine is a sore tissue type pain that I explained above. A second female doc that I went too said that I need hormones down there and I didn't have infections. The cream works until it gets stretched out again.

During the surgery did they use a mesh? I read lots of horror stories about this operation failing 30-40% of the time, this is a high rate of failure. I heard the body can reject the mesh and that the mesh can erode the vaginal tissues.

Did they remove the uterus during the surgery and what in Gods name do you tell people when you are going in for surgery? lol (sorry if I don't laugh, I'll cry)

I have not been back to any doctor about this. I heard that there is a search engine on the Internet to find a doc who specializes in this but I can't find this website that I can put in my zip code. Any idea's on this?

Stimpymom you said that you had to fly accross country because of your insurance? How did you go see for follow up visits? Fly back? What state did you fly too?

Also how long did you both stay in the hospital? I read it could be up to a week!

I haven't seen a doc about this yet for several reasons. I thought I could deal with it for a long time. Also I might have to have a tendon repair on my shoulder which is a long recovery with physical therapy and such. I figured that should be taken care of first since the recovery for rectocele can be up to a year. I just read that weight limits of ten pounds should be limited for a year! Did you ladies here that?

thisismytime......you said that yours was very obvious externally and that it was open down there? Could you explain further what you mean by those two statements? sorry but I am so confused.

from drawings that I saw online it looks like I might be a grade two.

thanks, I'll check back sometime this week or next.
thanks so much again.

Closed Thread