It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2007, 09:56 PM   #1
(female)

AT1980 HB User
Weird cramps day before period. Now VERY light period.

I'm 27 but my cycle is still not very regular; anywhere from 27-37 days but I always get my monthly period. For the past 3 - 4 years I noticed that I'd get a weird cramping sensation about a week before and leading up to my period. That has pretty much been my "warning system". It doesn't hurt like regular period cramps; it's just a sensation like a cramp is about to come on but never actually does. And I always feel myself ovulating but only when it's on the my left side. Even w/ a UTI the pain is almost always on the left side.

Anyway, this month I've felt a dull, aching sensation on my left side for the past 2 weeks. It's slightly painful. Yesterday I laid in bed with that cramping-but-not-cramping sensation, again. My "warning system". I can't put it into words. It feels very uncomfortable. Ibuprofen helps reduce the sensation but not completely.

Today I started my period (28 day cycle this month) but it's soo light I don't need a pad and my period is ALWAYS heavy for the first 2-3 days. Last month it was lighter than normal, too. I am sexually active but we always use condoms and sex does not hurt at all. My BF and I have sex almost every weekend and it doesn't hurt except for the occassional UTI that it can cause.

I know I'm a bit of a hypochondriac ever since my father passed away from cancer but I just wanted to know if someone else has had this problem. My sister has a history of ovarian cysts (she used to get hospitalized for them) but she said none of hers ever caused her to have a light period. She's urging me to take a PG test. What can cause a period to be so light that it almost seems like I don't have one?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2007, 06:29 AM   #2
(female)

Reyne HB User
Re: Weird cramps day before period. Now VERY light period.

I too have some of your symptoms. It started gradually with cramps and bad headaches. I just thought it was PMS, part of being female. Now the cramps are there all the time. I take painkiller 3-4x's a day. They have done CT scan, Vag ultra sound, blood tests nothing. Pain is still there!!

I have an appt with a gyno at the end of the month. My GP thinks it could be endo or a cyst they cannot see. Have it checked out especially if it runs in your family!!! My periods always were heavy and now they are light..not sure why either.

Get to a gyno and check it out!!!

Old 02-06-2007, 05:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User
Re: Weird cramps day before period. Now VERY light period.

I've had light periods since stopping the pill. I was never this way pre-pill and am pretty certain the pill caused me to have low progesterone. I have been charting my cycles for fertility awareness method (FAM) and in the beginning was having 8 day long luteal phases (14 days is the norm). As time has gone by, my luteal phase has grown to 16 days last cycle (double what is was in the beginning). My periods are gradually getting heavier too. Progesterone is the hormone responsible for the length of the luteal phase and buildup of the uterine lining.

Maybe you have low progesterone? You can get your hormone levels checked with a blood test. I had prolactin, estradiol, FSH, and LH checked on cycle day 3 and they were all fine. I never did have my progesterone checked but suspect low progesterone was the culprit in my case. Progesterone is best checked at 7 days past ovulation (generally cycle day 21 for a 28 day cycle). Thyroid problems can also cause trouble with your cycles and amount of flow. You should check for cysts and also take a pregnancy test just to be on the safe side.

Closed Thread