It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 02:22 PM   #1
(female)

daddyslilgirl13 HB User
Unhappy Pain in my lower abdomen...

I am 21 years old and I have had a pain in the lower right side of my abdomen for about 9 days now. It is a constant pain that does not go away at all, it is just there, and at times spreads to my leg and back. I have gone to the doctors twice. The first time my doctor gave me anitbiotics after he couldnt figure out what it was, but figured it was an infection. So I took that, and the pain did not get better at all. Yesterday I went to another doctor, and had a pelvic exam, and she when she was touching me inside, and felt my left ovary, i felt discomfort, but no pain, and when she went to touch the right ovary, she said that it felt fine to her, but it hurt alot. So now I am scheduled to have an ultrasound, but not until March. (I do not even want to get into that discussion- but I am so upset that I have to deal with this pain, not knowing what it could be until March. )
Along with the pain, I have been having irregular periods. I am on birth control- ortho tri cylcen lo- but I have had like 3 periods in 5 weeks. I am not pregnant, after 2 tests. Also, I have irregular bowel movements, I dont go as often as I should.. And I have been having an urgency to pee, but dont really go when the time comes. I dont know what is wrong with me, and I cannot wait until March to find out. I dont know what to think.. I have been doing research online and concluded that this be a cyst? I heard that cysts are really painful though? And if it is a cyst, will this affect my ability to have children in the future? Please Help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2007, 02:40 AM   #2
(female)

Julianna22 HB User
Re: Pain in my lower abdomen...

It sounds as if it could be a UTI infection. Did your doctor take a urine sample and test it? I would look for another doctor since their is no reason to suffer with this kind of pain till March..............Hope you feel better soon

Old 02-09-2007, 06:03 AM   #3
(female)

Reyne HB User

You are going to have to start getting pushy. I am going through the same thing but my pain is on the left. I have been to several Dr's and a gyno with no answers. I have had the tests, blood, CT, US and they have found nothing. So now another Dr in another city....and waiting to get in.

If you are in pain call and keep calling your Dr till you get some results. Are you running a fever or have a chance of an infection??? Ask questions, write them down if you have to.

It is very frustrating dealing with Dr's especially when your in pain.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:20 AM   #4
(female)

RedRom HB User

OMG! daddyslilgirl and Reyne! you two wrote exactly what I would write. I just joined this forum today so as to research my pain.

I too have pain on the left pelvic side. Its been on going for about 3 weeks now. Started out very serverly but now its subsiding. I had an ultra sound done last week and went back to the doc for results yesterday. Found out that I have 2 small fibroids and told me that the ovaries and everything else is ok.

He has no idea what is causing the pain for its not gynecological and now, I have to get an appt with a medical doc to find out more. The pain radiates to my leg and back.

Its frustrating but I hope to find out what's wrong with me.

Last edited by RedRom; 02-09-2007 at 06:21 AM.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:37 AM   #5
(female)

thescribegirl HB User

Hello to all.

Daddyslilgirl: This sounds to me like a cyst. It could be any number of things really, but all the symptoms you describe are ones that i deal with for two weeks every month do to a small cyst on my right ovary. Ive had multiple cysts over the last two years, and i really do understand your frustration. I hope that the ultrasound can point you in a direction to go.

Also, you asked if a cyst (in the case that they find one) can cause problems with infertility. As far as I have been told by doctors, it shouldnt be a problem. Most cysts are called functional cysts, they are normal and go away on their own. (this doesnt mean that they dont hurt and they arent a lot to deal with).

I do hope that you find a some answers soon and things get resolved. Good Luck!

Old 02-09-2007, 08:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Just wanted to let you know that not all cysts are painful. I had two I didn't even know about. They weren't ever found during pelvic exams, either. I went to a new gyno who always does a transvaginal US himself during exams, and they were found then.

I had very similar problems as you, tho, on-and-off constipation, strange aches in my lower quadrant that radiated to my back and sometimes where my leg meets my groin. A while back, before I knew about the cysts, I thought I had a UTI due to the strange pain and weird urination symptoms, and, sure enough, the dip stick at the doc's office was positive for infection, but when it was cultured by the lab, the results were negative. The doc had given me antibiotics while we were waiting on the results from the lab, and the only thing the antibiotics did was mess up my stomach something fierce. He did a follow-up dipstick test in his office and it was still positive for infection, but, again, the second test was negative when cultured by the lab.

I don't know about cysts and chances for pregnancy. DH is snipped, so it wasn't really a concern of mine. I would, however, call your doc's office and see if you can get that US sooner than March. That's just nuts. I had to get a renal US about a year ago -- again, related to those undiagnosed cysts -- and I was able to find a radiologist who could see me that day. It was cheap, too. I paid OOP, and it was $60.

Better yet, a gyno who does the ultrasounds themselves right there in the office during your exam is awesome!

Old 02-09-2007, 08:41 AM   #7
(female)

daddyslilgirl13 HB User

Thank you all for the information, I started since yesterday calling my doc to see if anyone has cancelled for the day so I can take their appointment, only 2 days since my doctors visit, so no luck yet. I still have pain on my side and back, and havent used the restroom in over a week. my whole stomach hurts in pain.. and I feel bloated. It is bad.
Stenolady- what exactly did the antibiotics do to you?
Yes, I have had urine tests, they all said no infections.
I will post an update on here as soon as I find out what is going on.
It is in a way sort of a relief to know I am not the only one who has or is suffering from this.
Again Thank You all.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:18 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

The antibiotics just completely upset my stomach. Nausea, gas, cramping, heartburn, belching. Like the feeling one might have the morning after a night of some questionable Mexican food? That had never happened to me before on antibiotics, including the one the doc had prescribed me, Floxin, which I'd had before as a teenager for bladder infections.

When the results came in from the lab about the test being negative, my doc's office told me to stop taking the Floxin, and the tummy upset was gone pretty quick. They told me to wait a week, come back in for another dipstick to make sure it wasn't infection. When I did the second one, they gave me Macrobid. That one was horrible!!! I felt like my chest was closing in on me. By day 3 on the Macrobid, I called the doc's office to tell them of these side effects, and the nurse said the second urine sample had come back negative from the lab, for me to get a renal US, which came back fine, too.

Somewhere in there I'd had a full blood workup and my cholesterol was high. I focused in on eating better and exercising -- if nothing else, to take my mind off the abdominal/flank pain -- and the diet and exercise seemed to really help with regularity and discomfort. I'd chalked the pain/constipation up to a rotten diet and not getting enough activity, but months later, I found my new gyno who did the US, and he suspects that I've been having cysts all along, especially with the on-and-off constipation, those several weeks of flank pain and strange test results varying between the doc's simple dipstick test vs. the culture from the lab.

Weird, too, is we've been following my two cysts since last March -- remember, no pain associated with them when they were found. Well, my last two cycles, when I ovulate, I had that same horrible flank pain that brought me into the doc's office a year or two back. I had my annual a couple weeks ago, and when the doc did the US, the cysts were gone. He believes they've burst/ruptured, and the pain I felt during ovulation was from the rupture(s).

I hope you can get your US soon!

Closed Thread