HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Women's Health (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/womens-health/)
-   -   lost appetite from break-up, please help! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/womens-health/473391-lost-appetite-break-up-please-help.html)

mochi* 02-19-2007 06:02 PM

lost appetite from break-up, please help!

Hi,
This is going to sound dramatic, so I apologize in advance, but about 2 weeks ago i broke up with my boyfriend of two years who was planning on moving to be with me, we were long distance for the last year.

Anyways,
At first I felt rather detached from it, didn't especially feels sad, mostly just angry at his sudden lack of effort, of care.
But then-bam- all the sudden last week it jumped up and bit me. I lost my ability to eat, sleep and relax or smile in general.
Now, I should alos mention that I am diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and some depression. This breakup certainly is aggravaating those condtions, and I'm sure leading to my loss of appetite, ect.
So, what is frustrating is, I am doing evertyhing I can to take care of myself, taking vitamis for stress, resting, exercising, making myself eat if I can stomach it, and talking to friends, but NOTHING is working to help my appetite.
Although I know I lost my appetite from stress, I can;t seem to get it back, even when I'm relaxed, everything naseates me, and I have to force myself to swallow, cause I feel so unappetized by ALL food.

And trust me, I am a BIG eater....

So, I've already lost a few pounds in one week, and I'm terribly worried by this, I', very thin, and my moods are heavily affectred when I don;t eat enugh.

How do I get my appetite back? And is this normal?
It;s embaressing.

Acidic6Tearstig 02-20-2007 02:42 AM

Re: lost appetite from break-up, please help!

I really wish I could help you but i've yet to find the cure for this. We had been together for almost a year and a half and I was relieved by the break up but for the next three or so weeks I was like you mentioned. I lost like 15 pounds and was making myself sick. The only thing that helped was getting back together with him, supposedly he was just as miserable. I really do hope you get better. It sucks being "sick" in that way.

Kszan 02-20-2007 05:41 AM

You shouldn't try to force yourself to eat foods that are making you sick. Try to just stick to a really bland diet of like mashed potato, cream of wheat, plain noodles, maybe jello, stuff like that at first. Try to have some chicken broth, too. Just eat a little bland for a few days until you feel like you can eat something more. I get nauseated a lot for no reason and I find eating bland for a few days helps.

Also, saltine crackers are really good for when you're having stomach problems. And there's an ingredient in coca cola that helps settle nausea as well.

As far as the break up is concerned, it's hard to get over that, but time will help you feel better. I've been through several really painful breakups myself where I felt really sick, too. But like I said, time helped heal and make me feel better. Just try to take care of yourself and don't force yourself to eat anything weird. It will probably make you feel worse if you do.

mochi* 02-21-2007 12:38 AM

thanks ladies!
I'm already feeling much better today, but as I've learned from previous break-ups, i shouldn;t speak too soon, cause it's one day at a time with loosing your partner.
I've been eating really plain things, and craving coca-cola, whoch is funny!
I even wanted pizza tonight, which seems like agood sign, because I must be getting better if I'm craving things.
But, I still can;t stomach much.
As for getting back together, that's out of the question, this part is hard, but I don;t want to jump back into it just to feel better, he needs to shape up before that would happen, and he probabyl won;t do that anytime soon!
:p

Acidic6Tearstig 02-21-2007 02:11 AM

At least your strong enough to know you're not going to get back together. I'm glad to hear you're feeling a little better. Hope it all works out for you ^_^

blazegirl 02-21-2007 05:18 AM

I've been through the same thing, and lost a scary amount of weight. I found a few "comfort foods" that I could stand to eat, like grilled cheese sandwiches. Just baby yourself a little bit and remember that you *will* feel better even if it doesn't seem like it sometimes. Be strong and take care!

punkybear 02-21-2007 08:48 AM

Honey, I'm so sorry you are going through this. I went through the same exact thing four months ago and I am someone that loses my appetite when I am depressed. I don't just lose my appetite, food actually makes my nauseous. What I found helps is I started working out again, which increased my appetite and made me feel less depressed since exercise releases feel-good endorphins. Unfortunately, loss of appetite is one of the most common symptoms of depression. I hope you get better really soon. ((HUGS)) :angel:

Roger321 02-21-2007 06:28 PM

edited original message