It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2007, 07:27 PM   #1
(female)

twisterseal HB User
Dermoid Cyst - Questions

I am new to the board. I am 42 years old. I've always had a regular period - every 28 days on average which lasts for about 5 days. I was 2 weeks late with my last period which was very unusual for me. I then got my period and the flow was heavy for 12 days. I got nervous and went to my gynecologist. He wanted me to get a pelvic/transvaginal ultrasound to rule out polyps. Well, I got that test done and it showed very small polyps and also a 3.5 cm mass on my left ovary "suggestive of a dermoid". I never heard of a dermoid but did some internet searching and found out it's some type of cyst. I got two opinions and each said it should be removed to prevent it growing and possibly rupturing. I don't want them to remove my ovary. Can they save the ovary? Also, they said laproscopic was non-invasive and shorter recovery time. Has anyone had this procedure done? I'm wondering how long I've had this dermoid and if it's necessary to remove at this time. It is not the cause of the heavy bleeding - which has stopped for the last 7 days. I have an underactive thyroid and have been taking the same dosage of levoxyl for 8 years - all of a sudden the thyroid is out of range and I've been put on a lower dosage. I'm wondering if the dermoid is collecting thyroid hormone and making my reading go haywire. I am quite anxiety ridden over this situation and appreciate any advice you can give me. I have had symptoms of IBS and wonder if this also is related to the dermoid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2007, 06:08 AM   #2
(female)

smallgingerone HB User
Re: Dermoid Cyst - Questions

Hi,

I just wanted to tell you about my dermoid cyst and hopefully settle your mind a bit.

When I was 19 i was rushed in to A&E with suspected accute appendicitis. I couldn't uncurl from a feotal position even for the ambulance men to have a poke around. The pain went away after 4 hours in hospital and since i wasnt going to get to see a doctor for another 4 hours at the hospital i discharged myself.

When i was 20 I went to see a gynocologist about my heavy/painful periods which my GP thought were related to endo. The gyno decided to lapascopic surgery to rule endo in or out.

While I was having that procedure he discovered that i had a dermoid cyst on my right ovary that was about the size of yours. They decided to remove it straight away while I was under especially because of the suspected apendicitis i had earlier.

What happened when i was rushed to hospital was that my fallopian tube had twisted with the weight of the cyst. If it had happened again it could have cut my circulation off to my ovary and i would have certainly lost it.

I have been able to keep my ovary.

Although i went in for laparosic surgery i ended up having a laparotomy which resulted in a 4 inch scar just above my pubic hair line, 4 days in hospital and a couple of weeks to recover.

You have had the cyst (most likely) since you were born, and it will have grown with changes in your hormones.

The cyst itself is caused by some of your skin folding in on itself when you were in the womb, this means that it will be full of hair, teeth or nails, very rarely they will contain most of a twin that was absorbed when a person is in the womb.

I am glad that I had my cyst out especially because I want to have children in a few years and want both of my ovaries to help with that!

If your doctors think that it would help i would have the operation - I would have it agian if needed, but relay your concerns about your ovaries.

I'm afraid I dont know anything about the impact on your thyroid or IBS other than the cyst will have been with you for most (if not all) of your life but will have just grown recently.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:53 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

willo1980 HB User
Re: Dermoid Cyst - Questions

I had laparascopy for endometriosis and the recovery is nothing. Just relay to your gyno your concerns about keeping the ovary. Unless something goes wrong, there shouldn't be a reason they would need to take it. It just depends on where the cyst has grown. I would be worried about it twisting, like the previous poster experienced. That can quickly become a life threatening event!

Closed Thread