It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007, 08:00 AM   #1
(female)

Georgette HB User
What is considered a large ovarian cyst?

Just wondering if anyone knows what doctors consider to be a large ovarian cyst. My last ultrasound revealed one that is 2.5cm on my left ovary, and the doctor said they usually don't do surgery on one that "small". But it seems to be big enough to cause me excruciating pain not only at ovulation time, but almost every other day of the month. Even on days that I'm not in actual pain, I still feel mild to moderate discomfort all the time. But I have heard of some women ending up with a cyst the size of a grapefruit, so I'm really unsure how they are classed.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:54 AM   #2
(female)

ERIN1129 HB User
Re: What is considered a large ovarian cyst?

I was just diagnosed with a 3.6 cm and the doctor said that it is pretty big. If mine doesn't shrink soon or gets over 4 cm they are going to remove it surgically. If yours doesn't go away in a few months (usually they do) and it causing you discomfort you will need to get it removed. I have had mine for about 5 months and no luck of it going away yet, just seems to be getting bigger! So, I guess 4 cm is big enough for them to be concerned and remove it! You still have a ways to go, but make sure to have them monitor it. I go in monthly with a ultrasound.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2007, 09:50 AM   #3
(female)

ljd88 HB User

My friend has one that's 8 cm x 6 cm x 7 cm or something like that and isn't having surgery.

If you are in pain, though, you should talk to your doctor.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:37 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User

Georgette,

My Dr. would consider 2.5 cm small also. I've had numerous cysts, and most have been between 1 and 2 cm. I never have any symptoms. They were found when I had a sonogram for irregular bleeding. Mine have always gone away, and only sometimes I feel a twinge of pain - usually near ovulation time.
I'm thinking that - yes - you could have pain from this cyst, but also, it could be from something else - such as endometriosis - especially since you have some pain and/or discomfort all of the time.
Unfortunatly, endo can't be seen on an ultrasound. The Dr. would have to do surgery to see it, and could possibly remove it at the same time.

Are you going to have the cyst checked again? Most Dr's will do a follow up in 4-6 weeks to see if it's gone. If it's gone, and your still having pain, then it could be something like endometriosis.

Good Luck.

Mary

Old 03-08-2007, 12:43 AM   #5
(female)

ljd88 HB User

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not sure if what my friend has is considered a cyst, officially. I don't remember exactly!

Closed Thread