It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2007, 08:13 AM   #1
(female)

declansmom HB User
Asherman's Syndrome...possibly

I am scheduled for a laproscopy, hysterascopy and a possible D/C (if needed) on April 4. I am very anxious as to what my dr will find. She is looking for Asherman's Syndrome, polyps, fibroids or cancer. But she said she is expecting to find a case of scar tissue, or otherwise called Asherman's Syndrome.

Anyone out there have this syndrome? I have found some sites online, but would like to hear your symptoms and your treatments?

My history, I am 28 yrs old with one two year old son. I have not had my periods since June 06, almost 10 months now. they were completly normal, then just stopped. Extensive blood tests, progesterone pills (i think provera), different BC, ultrasounds normal but still not blood or periods.
I have abdominal pains, cramps, strange discharge, fatigued and gaining weight strangly. I did have a horrific delivery of my son, but no one told me anything about scar tissue or placenta problems. So I am curious what your symptoms and causes are if you have Asherman's Syndrome?
Thanks,
LIsa

Old 03-30-2007, 06:36 AM   #2
(female)

luvmy2kids HB User
Re: Asherman's Syndrome...possibly

Hi Lisa, please reseach Asherman's Syndrome some more and don't let your doctor perform a D&C if that's what it is. A D&C is the worst possible treatment option. I personally don't have it, but I did a lot of research on it because I had a high risk possibility of getting it because I had to have a D&C after the birth of my daughter last April because of retained placenta.

The recommended treatment is a hysteroscopy and removal of the scar tissue with scissors - not laser. Good luck. Keep us posted after the 4th!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2007, 06:43 AM   #3
(female)

declansmom HB User

Thank you I will metion that to my Dr and let her know if they do find Asherman's that I want to discuss my treatment options. I have read several things online that say laser removal has been found to cause reoccurance versus cutting it out. I was wondering about that.
Thank you for your post and I will let you know what they find.
Lisa

Old 03-30-2007, 05:43 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

beabonnet HB User

How was your delivery horrific?

Old 03-30-2007, 06:14 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

innerstrength86 HB User

Good to see your doctors are looking into your condition finally!
(Remember, I was the one who hasn't had my period in two years... I'm seeing a new gyne who's redoing ALL the tests, so maybe they'll be some luck, but nothing yet)

Anyway, I just wanted to say that you're in my thoughts and I wish you the best! Good luck with everything! I hope it all turns out okay!!!

Old 04-02-2007, 06:33 AM   #6
(female)

declansmom HB User

innerstrength86,
Thank you! It is nice to know that there are other people out there who understand what you are going through. I will let you know how it goes this week.

beabonnet,
Sorry for the long story. During my whole pregnancy, i was told i would need a c-section because I was only 5 foot and very petite. My labor started on a Friday night and I did not deliver until Tuesday afternoon. I was dialated at 2 on Friday and the hospital told me that they had a full floor and that i would have to labor at home since I lived about 10 min away. They said there was no where in my chart that showed I would need a c-section. Not knowing any better, I went back and forth from the hospital every day slowy dialating and dying of pain. By Monday, I was at a 4 and the nurses told me I would not be admitted until I reached 5. On Tuesday morning, I was at 6 and they were still trying to decide if they would admit me. So i ended up sitting down on the floor and crying. I was in horrible labor pains and I could not breathe. I was exhausted and not eating or sleeping. I was vomitting and not able to talk or walk and urinating on myself due to the pressure. Finally, on Tuesday afternoon they admitted me after sobbing on the floor for about an hour. My husband was mad and trying to get someone to listen to us. I was told there was no Dr available and I would have to start pushing because my son was coming. Well, being the ignorant new mom and not in any capacity to think for myself, I pushed and trusted the hospital. I pushed for about 8 hours......I honestly reached a point I thought I would die. The nurse said his shoulders were stuck and I needed to push harder. Finally, after 8 hours he came. But he was 8 lbs 6 oz already (he was three weeks early). I ripped very badly with a 4th degree tear. I lost a large amount of blood, my placenta was having trouble delivering and I went into shock. I had three blood transfusions and my milk would not come in so i was unable to breastfeed which was a very depressing thing for me since I was all about breast feeding. The Dr would not approve me to stay over two days, so I was sent home unable to walk or hardly move. Ever since that day, I have had some health issues. I had one surgery already to remove a urethral diverticulum caused by the trauma. I will have my second surgery for a sphincteroplasty in May 21 to repair the anal muscles that were torn. But now my periods have stopped and after reading my med records from the delivery, my new Gyno is doing the tests this week before my major surgery in May to make sure I am not developing anything like Ashermans or left placenta.

Sorry so long and depressing......but my son is a healthy, crazy two year old.
Do you have any insight or similar experiences?
Thanks for listening.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:27 AM   #7
(female)

luvmy2kids HB User

Oh my god, all I can is wow! I am so sorry that you had to go through that!

Old 04-03-2007, 10:10 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

beabonnet HB User

Thank you for sharing your delivery story. That sounds like a horrible experience (hugs).

I'm not a doctor, but I have read about the following, so I'll share my novice information so that you can take it to a doctor to ask, if you're interested. And, I don't know if this applies to you.

I was wondering about your delivery because I was wondering if you had lost a lot of blood. I don't know if this applies to you or not, but you might want to do a little research on Sheehan's Syndrome. It's very uncommon. But it could be a possibility. Sheehan's Syndrome is a form of hypopituitarism that can occur due to a great loss of blood during delivery which causes a period of low blood pressure. When you're pregnant, your pituitary gland expands. In its expanded state it becomes vulnerable to potential damage if you end up with low blood pressure, often from a loss of blood - more than the usual amount you would expect.

Anyway, classic symptoms of Sheehan's are inability to breastfeed (from not producing a supply or very much of a supply) and sometimes the loss of your period. From others I know that have it, sometimes the loss of the period is right away (i.e. the period doesn't come back) and sometimes it comes back and then just stops. Another classic symptom is the failure of shaved leg and arm pit hair to grow back and sometimes the loss of pubic hair. You could also have all sorts of other symptoms, most commonly fatigue - low energy. Another symptom can be weight gain, particularly around the stomach area - if you're a thin person it can be very obvious with thin legs, thin arms and a big belly like you're pregnant (but heavy people can have the same pattern of gaining in the stomach predominantly).

If you had Sheehan's you could have deficiencies in the following hormones - thyroid, growth, gonadal, adrenal and prolactin (this causes the breastmilk problem). You could have one or more of these hormones affects - but in about 90 percent of the cases, growth hormone is deficient.

If this is your problem - getting diagnosed, though, is no easy battle. You need a pituitary expert and they're hard to come by. But, if you can get someone to listen, I would try to get the following run - IGF-1, TSH, Free T4, Prolactin, Estradiol, LH, FSH, Total Testosterone and Free Testosterone (one has a bottom number for the range other than 0), AM cortisol. Sometimes, though, the results could be low normal and you still could have a problem. And the only way to be sure from there is to have the various stimulation tests for growth hormone and adrenal deficiencies to be sure. For instance, if you're in the lower portion of the range for IGF-1 (a marker for growth hormone statute), a growth hormone problem can not be excluded. So, a stim test would be needed.

I am fighting for a diagnosis myself. I had inability to breastfeed with both pregnancies. I as unable to produce more than a couple of teaspoons at each pumping, no matter what efforts I went to - frequent pumping, various herbs, medications that are supposed to increase prolactin production, etc. I also notice about a year after my delivery that I had patches of missing leg and armpit hair and it has only gotten worse as time goes on. I also have had terrible troubles with tiredness and fatigue. And, at times, I have had sleeping problems. All my hormones have been low normal. But, I did have an abnormal result on my thyroid tests, low Free T4 with a normal TSH, so I'm on thyroid hormone. I'll be traveling across the country to see an expert in LA at the end of May, so I hope to have answers later one way or another. I'd love to be cleared of this as a possiblity - but if not, I'd prefer to have an expert diagnose it ASAP. I had my daughter almost 3 years ago. I had a 1300 cc hemorrhage - I think that equates to about 2 pints. But, I had no transfusion.

Anyway, I don't know if that helps and I don't know if this is your problem, but it may be something to think about.

Take care of yourself!

Last edited by beabonnet; 04-03-2007 at 10:16 PM.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:37 AM   #9
(female)

declansmom HB User

Hi beabonnet,
thank you for the information. I did ask her about Sheehans and she said all my blood work came back normal and no hormone problems.

the results of my procedures did find lots of scare tissues and endometriosis. I have my full follow up to go over the results next week. But the Dr did talk to my mother and husband about what she found. She showed them pictures of the scare tissue that has attached all around my uterus and she had to push her way into the inside of the uterus. Inside, she found pockets of endometrisis and lots of brown spots which are signs of old and new endometriosis. she also looked at all my organs, thank god for doing some invesitgation work, because she found my appendix in my stomach. the scare tissue had attached to it and pulled it up in my stomach area. she detached it and pulled it down. She did tell my husband that she wanted him to come to the next appt next week because what she found will effect our efforts to have children in the future and we need to make a decision.

Needless to say, I have been exhausted and unable to get out of bed for a few days. Major cramps, awful cramps and stabbing pains in my right side and just feeling like i have been run over with a truck.

who knows what my diagnosis is or what my next step is.
I would love to hear from others who have experienced this before?

Old 04-09-2007, 10:33 AM   #10
(female)

luvmy2kids HB User

declansmom, sorry to hear that you're not feeling well after your surgery. Just wanted to say good luck and let us know what the doc says next week!

Old 04-12-2007, 11:21 AM   #11
(female)

declansmom HB User

I had my full follow up today. I have severe endometriosis on my whole right pelvic floor. She said it was pretty bad and she can not remove it because it is too deep and close to my other organs. But it is not on my ovaries or tubes, which she said was strange because that is where it usually is.

Anyway, off to other boards to read about treatments!

Closed Thread