HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Women's Health (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/womens-health/)
-   -   how many laparascopies for endo? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/womens-health/485230-how-many-laparascopies-endo.html)

earthdayapril22 03-28-2007 12:26 PM

how many laparascopies for endo?

Hi, I went through a laparascopy yesterday and they found endometriosis on my fallopian tube and on my right ovary(i think) and even though i'm recovering fast I didin't like the procedure at all. I'll probably be under lupron in the folling months and i'm wondering if women with endo need to have several laparascopies during their lifetime or just an initial one. I'm only 21 and I don't want to go over a laparascopy any more in my lifetime.

lysadestkirra 03-29-2007 02:42 PM

Re: how many laparascopies for endo?

Hi. i have endometreosis as well. So I totally understand the pain you are going through. My best friend has had 4 laprascopies and has to have another one next week. I myself am having surgery issues. My sister just had a hysterectomy to get rid of hers. I am not a doctor and can not give you facts but from what i've heard the lepron, as well as the laprascopies arent a good way to get rid of endometriosis for everyone. some do well either way and for others ( like myself ) it is reoccuring. I am 25 years old and looking at a hysterectomy. i guess what Im trying to say is that everyone is different. Lets just all pray the someone somewhere finds a way to cure this nasty disease that hurts so many of us. Good Luck and I hope all goes well for you.

earthdayapril22 03-29-2007 07:36 PM

thank you so much for replying and I totally agree with you, I hope that they do more research on the disease and come up with more options and treatments. I'm also scared if i'll be able to have kids in the future, that's another obstacle women with endo have to go through.

DaysGirl 04-21-2007 08:56 PM

I've had 2 laparoscopies and Tuesday I am having another. This third one seems like it didn't come as fast as the other two. The other two were almost back to back and this was about 3 years later. I was going to decide whether I wanted a hystrectomy or laparoscopy, but since this was decided in less than a week, I will just go with the laparoscopy. If it comes back, I will have a partial hysterectomy. I don't have to worry about the infertility part cause I have two kids and have my tubes tied. I just don't want mood swings! I had a colonoscopy on Friday and that was easy, well except for the night before. The colonoscopy found tortuous colon with areas of extrinsic compression suspicious for adhesions. I have it in several places and that's related to endometriosis and to cysts being attached to the colon. My colon is deformed.

Only thing I look forward to are the heated blankets!! Keep me warm!

earthdayapril22 04-22-2007 08:45 PM

Hi, thanks for answering! anyways I guess it depends, it's different from women to women...

btw, good luck with your procedure!

Oolaalaa 05-02-2007 11:25 PM

I just had my 3rd one in late november. It all depends on how bad the endo is and where it is. Some stage 1 patients have more pain than stage 4.. depending on if it is growing on some nerve.. etc. My best advice is to seek out the best surgeon to remove the endo and make sure that he knows exactly what you want him to do. Trust me when I say that not all surgeons possess the same skills. Look for a doctor that does these surgeries frequently. There are a few who actually specialize in removing the endo. You only have one body and you are in their hands when they put you out. Make sure you know and trust your surgeon. It's okay to say to your OB.. you know what.. I think I'd prefer to go with this surgeon but I love having you as an OB. After the surgery you can bring back your surgery notes so that your OB can do all the post op work.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

*hugs*

KarmaCat 05-03-2007 04:37 AM

Some women end up having many laparoscopies in their lifetimes, while others don't. It's very difficult to say what the case will be with you. Some of it depends on your pain level and how bad the scar tissue is with you.

Several years ago I had an initial lap to diagnose endo and to break up scar tissue, as it had wrapped around all my internal organs and twisted everything over to the left. I was in severe pain, so the pain/recovery from the lap was nothing compared to the problem that led me to have it. I think I'd have to be in pretty severe pain again to have another one, but I would if it got to the point that I couldn't function anymore.

I'm taking continuous birth control pills (no inactive pills, so no period) to keep my endo under control, and I'm having very good luck with that for the time being. I know it's not a long-term answer, but for now, I'm happy with it.

earthdayapril22 05-04-2007 06:26 PM

thanks for the imput, i'll go to the doc to start lupron in 2 weeks, and probably BC after the treatment...and i'm only 22! :dizzy: