It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2007, 11:08 AM   #1
(female)

SweetPea83 HB User
Strange bleeding...help!

A question for the ladies who are not on hormonal birth control. If you have intercourse a week or a few days before your period, do you have some light bleeding afterwards? I've had this problem sporadically while on BC and now I'm having this problem off of BC, but only the week before my period.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2007, 06:24 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

SunKissed HB User
Re: Strange bleeding...help!

funny i came across this post...this just happened to me today and i am really concerned about it. i am on ortho lo. i have been pretty sick with a nasty cold all week. i had sex a couple times this weekend and this morning noticed light brownish blood on the tp, i am just worried as my period is due thursday , im hoping it is nothing serious or pregnancy =\

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2007, 08:50 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Legend74 HB User

It's not surprising if it's the week before your period. I don't think you need to freak out about it because it's the week before your period! The action of having sex most likely triggers a premature bleed since you're getting ready to have your period anyway.

If it only happens the week before your period then it's most likely just you setting off your period early!

I really wouldn't worry about it! If it happened at other times that were not before your period, then get it checked out. But if it's only the week before your period then you're freaking out over nothing.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:36 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

SunKissed HB User

hmm..i read somewhere too that orgasm during the time your period should be coming can cause a little bleeding? idk how much truth there is to this ~ just kind of scared me a little but im hoping it is nothing.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:51 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Legend74 HB User

I'm telling you that if it always happens the week before your period and no other time, then kind of like, duh, youknow? Because it's pretty standard for some women to have slight spotting or something the week or a few days before their period anyway, regardless of if they are on the pill or not. Sometimes it just starts leaking a little early, that's just how it goes. If it's only a few days before your period, I really think it's ridiculous to be so freaked out about it.

But if it happens every single time you have sex all the time, regardless of timing of your period, then maybe you should start looking at other options. As long as it's always in the couple of days before your period, there isn't really any reason to think it's anything more than just premature bleeding prior to the period actually beginning.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPea83 View Post
A question for the ladies who are not on hormonal birth control. If you have intercourse a week or a few days before your period, do you have some light bleeding afterwards? I've had this problem sporadically while on BC and now I'm having this problem off of BC, but only the week before my period.
Well how long have you been off the BC? If you had that problem while on BC that could of meant your pill wasn't strong enough for you. Some sex can trigger bleeding but the way you are describing it sounds different to me. Can i ask the reason you are really concerned about this?

Old 04-17-2007, 06:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend74 View Post
It's not surprising if it's the week before your period. I don't think you need to freak out about it because it's the week before your period! The action of having sex most likely triggers a premature bleed since you're getting ready to have your period anyway.

If it only happens the week before your period then it's most likely just you setting off your period early!

I really wouldn't worry about it! If it happened at other times that were not before your period, then get it checked out. But if it's only the week before your period then you're freaking out over nothing.
Its good for them to be curious on why they are bleeding when it isn't there period yet because that doesn't happen to all women. It's not totally common like you may think. I mean when you are pregnant implanation bleeding is suppose to happen around the time you would expect your period and not all women get that...do you see what im saying?

and please, enlighten me, how does one do that? because a ton of women would like to have a period earlier than expected but theres no way for that to happen.

Last edited by Longview; 04-17-2007 at 06:57 AM.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:16 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Legend74 HB User

It's really just basic biology, if you understand the concept of the female menstrual cycle. It's not that big of a secret. In the days preceeding her period, a woman's cervix is gearing up to open to allow the uterine lining to expel vis-a-vis her period. The action of sex, which most likely has some irritating nature toward the cervix, can potentially set off a bleed since it's getting ready to slightly dialate anyway to allow the menstrual flow to be expelled.

Didn't you learn this stuff in health class? It's amazing how many women really don't understand the basics of their own monthly cycle. You would all do well to educate yourselves more fully on what your body is doing each month, because it might help you be less fearful of various changes that occur throughout the month and are perfectly normal for an average woman going through the stages of her monthly cycle. If you are looking for a resource that would be extremely helpful, you should read the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It will explain in detail the ins and outs of your monthly cycle and hopefully make you understand what occurs in your body in the days preceeding your period, and why it's not all that unusual to have some slight spotting or whatever if you have sex right before the day of your actual period.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:26 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User

Im sorry but please do not tell what i do or do not know.

Im just simply saying..the poster is asking for advice..its not the best thing to say...

...if you truly aren't 100% sure.

thats why i asked for more information before i really said anything to help her.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:36 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

I agree with you, Longview.

I did attend health class, am fully aware of my body, its cycle and abnormal changes it goes through.

After coming off the pill, I, too, had bleeding after sex the week before my period. It wasn't just setting off my period early, though. I'd bleed for a few days, then stop, then my period would come.

Turns out I have chronic cervicitis due to a hormonal imbalance from coming off the pill. This even resulted in an abnormal pap smear -- a first for me in 35 years. All of this stemmed from my concern about abnormal bleeding after sex in the 5-7 days before I would otherwise have gotten my period. My options now are cryosurgery, going back on hormonal BC or live with the bleeding, as well as a watchful eye as chronic cervicitis will throw my paps off. My current gyno doesn't even believe I should continue with paps, as he feels they won't be truly reliable for detecting cervical cancer; his recommendation is a biopsy in place of the pap, if and until I elect to go with the cryosurgery (I'd like to get a second opinion on that one, though).

So I don't think statements like "all women need to get educated about their body," or "this is nothing to freak out over" are supportive at all. Abnormal bleeding needs to get checked out, period.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:39 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Legend74 HB User

You asked a question of me, which I provided more information. That's all. My point, bottom line, is just that the timing in this case is key. Since the timing is always right before the onset of the period, it's only logical that my response is, in fact, what is going on. And I was just trying to make the point that really all that one needs to know is the basics of the menstrual cycle to understand why the response that I gave originally is likely the reason for this problem.

Now, again, if this were to happen at any other time during the cycle, then I think it would probably warrant further investigation. But since it appears from the responses received by the original poster that it always ONLY happens in the days immediately prior to the onset of the period, then again, my response is likely the reason why it is happening.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:05 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Legend74 HB User

If it were a cervical problem, I would really think that something would show up on the pap. But if all of her paps have come back normal, and nothing has shown up during a pelvic exam, then I don't think it could be what you are suggesting.

But if she has had repeated abnormal paps and the doctor has indicated some kind of strange cervical appearance during an exam, then certainly she should look further to see what's going on.

I'm just saying, I wish that women would take a more active role in their healthcare by educating themselves about their body systems. I'll admit that like, for me, I don't know much about my digestive system, and I frequently have issues that could probably be made better if I knew more about it. So I personally endeavor to learn more about how the digestive system works and why certain things occur the way they do, etc. Same thing goes for the menstrual cycle. We all know we have it, but you'd be surprised at how many women really don't understand the mechanics behind it and how it really works within their own body. I don't really blame the idividuals, I really more blame the school systems for not trying harder to educate kids on what is going on when they are young.

Let's face it, knowledge is power. The more that we understand about anything, the more powerful we will feel about what we know. I think that's very key, especially for people who find themselves overly concerned about certain things over and over again. Arming oneself with knowledge is the best way to help understand when things happen this way. I really, really believe that to be true.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:39 PM   #13
(female)

SweetPea83 HB User

Wow, lots of responses! Thanks everyone for your input!

Since coming OFF of BC, it has only happened a few days before my period.

While I was ON BC, it began happening that way, too, but then became more sporadic...a few weeks before my period and just overall at strange times. But I also must take into consideration I switched between a few different BC pills over the course of 5 months... So I guess my hormones were just really messed up.

I've been off of the pill now for about 3 months...going on 4. I've only had sex about 4 times. 3 of those times there was no bleeding. The one time I bled it was about 4 days before my period.

I've had annual exams and paps since I was 18. I'm 23 now. All paps and exams have been normal. My doctor insists it is hormonal.

Closed Thread