It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2007, 09:18 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

CandP HB User
Ovulation Pain...What Side Should It Be?

When you're ovulating, what side should the pain be? And does it come & go within minutes? I could never understand when I'm ovulating. And does ovulation start a couple days after period ends?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User
Re: Ovulation Pain...What Side Should It Be?

Every woman's cycle is a bit different. If you have the textbook 28 day cycle (few women do), you will ovulate on day 14 of your cycle (day 1 being the first day of your period). But my cycles vary--I ovulate between day 11 and day 16 and usually have a period beginning around day 28 to day 30.

As far as ovulation pain, some women have ovulation pain that coordinates quite well with their actual ovulation, and other women (like myself) do not. Ovulation pain (if you have it) usually occurs on the right or left side (where the ovary would be). For some women, it is quite painful, but for others, it is not. Mine is more like a dull twinge in the ovary lasting maybe 3 seconds and sometimes it repeats and sometimes it doesn't. Ovaries do not necessarily alternate each month, and it's also possible to feel ovulation type pains from both sides in 1 cycle but you still usually ovulate from 1 ovary. Both the ovaries compete to release the egg first, and so you might feel twinges and twitches as this process goes on. Usually, one ovary wins out in the end and releases the egg first.

I feel ovulation type pains throughout my whole cycle and they never do get more painful or sharper around ovulation. I have had them begin off & on as early as day 2 of my cycle, and sometimes, I even feel ovulation type pains after ovulation.

Women with cysts can feel pains from their ovaries throughout their cycles due to cysts, but I do not have cysts, I just think I'm feeling my ovaries gearing up and getting ready to ovulate way ahead of time.

Some other things you might notice around ovulation are: vaginal discharge resembling uncooked eggwhites or watery discharge, tender breasts, extreme fatigue, and nausea, but every woman is different.

While ovulation can happen as soon as your period ends, it is not common that it does happen that soon--usually it's around 10 days or more into your cycle.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

CandP HB User

Thanks so much. Actually I do have the discharge - that's somewhat slimy and white - and actually my period comes every 28 - 30 days, and very accurate, thank God.

I forgot to ask, where does the pain usually exist - on the back left/right? Around the belly button/belly area? Further down in the vaginal area? I just want to be sure, since I wasn't quite sure with that. And from time to time, I feel stabbing pains in my breast - is that normal? Every couple months or so. Thanks.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

For me, it's left or right, more in the front, below the belly button and closer to the hip bone (but not on the hip)--the right or left lower belly area maybe you'd say? It's not in the vaginal area. Occasionally, I'll have those stabbing pains in my breasts; I'm not sure what causes them or if they have any significance; it doesn't happen often for me.

Last edited by livinTX; 04-03-2007 at 11:25 AM.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

lala-whatsnext HB User

lots of women say they can feel it when they ovulate, it might be that or something else, who knows. My question is what difference does it make and who cares? lol I am not being a smart alec, its just that its really unimportant ya know?
If you start your period every month, four weeks apart, that is, every 28 days...you can find your date by counting from the first day of your period. Count fourteen days from the first day you start bleeding.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:17 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

In my case my period sorta runs 28 days however I can bleed for a couple of hours on day 26 then not bleed again till the 28th. the first day is really bright red blood and then it disappears with nothing. Not even a tinge of blood anywhere. Not even if I do the finger check. So I really never know when my actually period is.

People that are TTC or have messed up their pills sometimes go by when they feel the ovulation to either try and make a baby or not.

Closed Thread