It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
(female)

mommazwieback HB User
Vaginal Birth After C-section

Has anyone in here had or known anyone who has had a vaginal birth after a c-section. I had a c-section with my daughter in 10/2005, and now I want to try for another baby, but I dont want to have a c-section. Is there any way I can prevent having another c-section? Also how can I find a doctor who is willing to let me have a trial of labor. In the town I am from doctors arent too willing to let someone try, they are the once a c-section always a c-section kind of obgyns... any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2007, 01:11 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Xant HB User
Re: Vaginal Birth After C-section

I had an emergency c-section with my son (his cord had a knot in it) and went on to have a normal birth with my daughter.

Why did you have it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2007, 06:24 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I know lots of people who have. It can be risky but most docs here will let you try. If you are in a small town without a full service type hospital, I can see why they wouldn't want to try it. If something was less than normal, you or the baby may need more care than is available. Then, of course, they would be deemed responsible. After all, the main goal is to have a healthy baby and safe birth.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:48 PM   #4
(female)

mommazwieback HB User

Thanks guys. I dont think its the fact that they dont have the resources to care for the baby if something were to happen, I think its the fact that the doctors dont want to be held liable if something did happen. I know they cant MAKE me have surgery, and thats what I keep thinking. I know that they are going to try to pursuade me and tell me that I'm not making the safe decision, but I cant see having a surgery for nothing. I had her by c-section because she was distressed.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:52 PM   #5
(female)

mommazwieback HB User

Littlebug, I see that you are in WV. What hopsital did they deliver at where they had VBacs? I delivered at CAMC Womens & Childrens, and at my sixweek checkup I told my midwife (who handled my prenatal care) that I wanted her to handle my prenatal care for the next child, and she said that was fine, she could handle it up until the point of delivery and then she would schedule me for a c-section. When I told her I didn't a c-section the next time she didn't seem to thrilled.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Trixibel HB User

I had my first child by c section and my next two vaginally. I guess it depends on the reason you needed a caeser in the first place. my son (1st) got distressed after a 40 hour labour and needed to come out in a hurry. i had a pelvic x ray before i got pregnant wtih my second to check that I wasn't too small to give birth vaginally, and I wasn't. my obstetrician i had with the next two was very eager for my to try giving birth vaginally - i had a trial of scar and had to be monitored (with the second) to make sure nothing went wrong - I had a really quick labour and there was meconium in the waters when they broke so they helped him out with forceps. i guess it's a matter of finding the right ob/gyn and making sure you're in a hospital with all the resources. i've got a few friends who've had all their children by caesar though. my 1st child was posterior so i think that slowed the labour down and that's why he got distressed.

i guess the ob/gyns don't want to take risks and i guess the optimal outcome is a healthy baby and mother. i didn't enjoy giving birth to my second and third, being monitored during the trial of scar meant i had to lie down and i really wanted to stand up and walk around. things may have progressed since then, though. i had my last child 8 years ago.

good luck to you. hope it all works out.

Closed Thread